Litecoin miners can't connect (cgminer and guiminer-scrypt)

Go to solution Solved by RuecanOnRails,

I'm fully verified on CaVirtex which I use if I feel like investing fiat into coins, or withdrawing fiat. I trade primarily on BTC-E. I do have accounts on most of the other popular multi-currency exchanges which I can trade between other alt's or play the exchanges. Buy on one, sell on another.

If you want to have your computer usable, there's not too many options for mining and browsing. You will always find it very laggy or only getting very low hash.

Although, if you were to pick up a 7970 (cheapest powercolor 7970 works great) the 7970's work best with an integrity of 13 and allows mining, browsing and general computer use. If you want to use your computer along with mining consider buying one.

You can also make a shortcut on your desktop when you're done using the computer turn your miner back on. When you want to use the computer turn it off for awhile.

Hey guys,

I've been mining Bitcoins using Guiminer for several months now, using an AMD HD 7950 3GB WF card, but as anyone mining knows, the difficulty increases with the ASIC units finally arriving have been becoming too large. Since I don't pay electricity (included in my rent), I can still mine bitcoins and make a bit of cash, but it's dwindling quite rapidly.

I planned to switch over to Litecoin mining, since GPU's are still effective for Litecoin mining, but I'm running into some issues.

So, to start, I've created accounts on 3 different LTC pools:

1) LitecoinPool.org

2) give-me-ltc.com

3) Coinotron.com

I downloaded the Litecoin wallet, and let it sync. I then downloaded Guiminer-scrypt, and entered in my worker login details and server details, and finally selected the HD 7950 from the drop-down list.

I click start, and it continuously says "Connecting", or occasionally "Connection Problems". Looking at the console doesn't give much info, but occasionally the console reports that either there is an invalid URL for the server, or my details are incorrect.

I'm 100% confident that both the URL and the login details are CORRECT, since I've tried it on 3 different pools.

Next, I tried cgminer, using a batch script with all the same details.

I created 3 different batch scripts on my desktop, each identical except for the url and login details:

c:\cgminer\cgminer --scrypt -o us.litecoinpool.org:9332 -u myusername.worker -p mypassword --thread-concurrency 17920 -I 13 -g 1 -w 256

The cmd prompt window replies with:

Pool 0 slow/down or URL or credentials invalid

No servers were found that could be used to get work from

etc.

No some additional details:

I still have my Bitcoin wallet installed and running.

When I first installed guiminer-scrypt, I still had Guiminer installed.

I then deleted Guiminer and deleted the profile save file hidden in the AppData folder. After, I reconfigured guiminer-scrypt and resaved. No change.

It seems to me like either:

a) None of my workers from the 3 different pools are configured or "active" (it's been several days since I created accounts and created workers, so I doubt this).

or

B) My firewall or something else is blocking the connection.

Can someone please help me out with this? It's incredibly frustrating, since Guiminer with BTC worked no probs, and I haven't changed any firewall settings since then.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

It might be your router blocking the port.

Look into port forwarding for your router and open up the LTC ports.

First of all, don't use a gui miner, they offer no benefits and fewer details.

In Cgminer, read the SCRYPT-README file. It will go through setting it up in full details as well as configuring parameters such as thread concurrency.

Generally you want to Launch Cgminer using a bat file with it being nearly empty until you get a successful connection and hash.

here's an example of my starter bat file (feel free to throw a couple hash my way heh ;) ). This is used to let cgminer find a working set of configs which can be tweaked later. You can add -I 13, but it's easy enough to do so later. Once you get one successful launch of cgminer and it shows a connections and a hash, Press "S" "W" "Y" that will write a config file for Cgminer which you can open up in notepad to fine tune and see all the default settings.

color 0A
setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
cgminer --scrypt -o us.litecoinpool.org:9332 -u ruecanonrails.5 -p x

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

Hookay, so this is odd. I have forwarded both ports 9332 and 9333 to my computer via my router (Linksys E4200v1 with stock firmware).

When I attempt to run the following:

color 0Asetx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100setx GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1cgminer --scrypt -o us.litecoinpool.org:9332 -u dalekphalm.worker1 -p 1

It reports that it cannot connect (as before).

When I change to your script:

color 0Asetx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100cgminer --scrypt -o us.litecoinpool.org:9332 -u ruecanonrails.5 -p x

It crashes cgminer after about 3 seconds without running or reporting any messages.

It gets as far as "Started cgminer 3.2.2", then I receive the generic Windows error message "cgminer.exe has stopped working"

This also happens when I try to run any scripts with my other pools (even when they are identical except for server and login).

Ut5toGj.jpg

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

yeah, it will crash several time as it keeps trying slightly different configs.

Keep re-launching until you get a successful run, then write the config to file using S > W > Y

Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Alright, there is something not set up correctly on your account.

I just tried to point one of my miners at -u dalekphalm.worker1 -p 1

And I'm unable to connect.

Try making another worker? and make sure it's case sensitive

Ok so I checked my worker for Litecoinpool.org:

-u DalekPhalm.worker1 -p 1

I also just created a new worker:

-u DalekPhalm.worker2 -p 2

Go ahead and try them?

Okay so I have an update:

I accidentally double clicked on cgminer.exe (My batch file for testing is right above it in the folder)... And it loaded.

Asked for url, put in: us.litecoinpool.org:9332

User: DalekPhalm.worker2

Pass: 1

And it started, but it's not running scrypt (It was measuring things in MHash/s, so likely it was bitcoining it up).

Anyway, now that I read what was actually happening, this post is kind of pointless :P

I was able to get a connection with worker1

But unable with worker2.

Perhaps their server is just really slow right now and it's taking a longer time to create new workers?

I was able to get a connection with worker1

But unable with worker2.

Perhaps their server is just really slow right now and it's taking a longer time to create new workers?

Ok well at least worker1 is confirmed working. I checked my account and I see the 400~ shares there.

Now I just need to get my local miner running.

I've launched the batch file well over a dozen times now with it crashing. How many times can it fail before working?

I may have accidentally saved a config without the --scrypt (This was when I accidentally double clicked directly on cgminer.exe and logged in).

I'm considering deleting the cgminer folder and redownloading, in case there were any issues I might have caused. What do you think?

Yeah go for it,

If it's not working delete the entire folder, Or just make a back up of it and re-download it.

If you have a cgminer.conf file, delete it. The conf files will in some cases override the bat file so even though you keep running the bat file, it's grabbing all the missing data from the previously tried and failed config.

OK So I believe it was a driver incompatibility. I spent nigh on 2 hours relaunching the bat file over and over again (dozens of times) with the same result.

I was using the current 13.4 AMD drivers (With APP SDK 2.8).

I downloaded and installed the 13.6 Beta drivers, then reinstalled APP SDK 2.8 (just in case) and relaunched the Bat file. Good news is that it launches without crashing!

Here's a screenshot:

JRFJq7O.jpg

Now it looks to me like it's not utilizing the GPU at all. MSI Afterburner shows GPU at 0% and my KHash/s rate is: ~18, which should be closer to 500.

I'm gonna adjust the config and see if it improves. Any suggestions from here?

Ok I just messed with a few settings "--thread-concurrency 17920 -I 13 -g 1 -w 256" and now I'm getting 360 KH/s. I've read that if I want my computer to be "usable*" to leave intensity at 13, otherwise I'll have to let it mine without me being able to do other things. What do ya think?

*Usable to me means web browsing and youtube primarily. I'd obviously stop mining for any gaming.

Oh before I forget, which exchange do you recommend for LTC to BTC? I use a local exchange (cavirtex) for BTC to $CAD. I know of BTC-e and vircurex but have used neither.

I'm fully verified on CaVirtex which I use if I feel like investing fiat into coins, or withdrawing fiat. I trade primarily on BTC-E. I do have accounts on most of the other popular multi-currency exchanges which I can trade between other alt's or play the exchanges. Buy on one, sell on another.

If you want to have your computer usable, there's not too many options for mining and browsing. You will always find it very laggy or only getting very low hash.

Although, if you were to pick up a 7970 (cheapest powercolor 7970 works great) the 7970's work best with an integrity of 13 and allows mining, browsing and general computer use. If you want to use your computer along with mining consider buying one.

You can also make a shortcut on your desktop when you're done using the computer turn your miner back on. When you want to use the computer turn it off for awhile.

If you trade on BTC-E, jump on trollbox and stir some shit up, you can cause panic sells if you're good enough at trolling. I'm on there from time to time... Other times I have sticky notes hiding the chat as there is no way to disable it.

(never believe anything that is said in there but following can lead to some decent trades during panic sells/buys)

Another small piece of advice with trading. As much as I like and support CaVirtex, don't do your daily trading on there. The fee's are far too high for large amounts of trades. If they lower the fees down a bit more it could become very competitive but until then, I'd suggest using it for transferring fiat.