Cooler Master 3D Vapor Chamber CPU Cooler

ahhming

CoolerMaster3DVaporChamberCES2015.png

unlike tradition vapor chamber that spread across the base, heatpipes are connected to the heatsink for the cooler master variation .

cm-3d-vapor-chamber.jpg

no pricing, nor availability  yet as all they have is basic mock up of the heatpipes will be connected.

do you guys think that this will work only in certain motherboard orientation ?

Source:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/cooler-master-3d-vapor-chamber,28372.html

Since the heatpipes on the Hyper 212 (Evo and X) make contact with the CPU and a fair amount of contact at that, I don't really know how this is much different.

waffle waffle waffle on and on and on

Since the heatpipes on the Hyper 212 (Evo and X) make contact with the CPU and a fair amount of contact at that, I don't really know how this is much different.

Because these are vapour chambers and not just heatpipes I guess thats the main difference

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Because these are vapour chambers and not just heatpipes I guess thats the main difference

According to this, vapor chambers are essentially just flat heatpipes

waffle waffle waffle on and on and on

According to this, vapor chambers are essentially just flat heatpipes

strange it should be like this

vertical_vapor_chamber.jpg

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

vapor chambers has a liquid inside the pipes which evaporates and then condense 

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

I don't understand why this hasn't been done before...

However I'm curious to see the guys try 'em out.

But AFAIK VCs are just "more better" that regular heat pipes.

Probably because Vapor Chambers are more expensive and need more time (for design and production) and the "regular" Heatpipes have been sufficient enough so they didn't have to hurry. With more and more Water-AiOs coming to market, air coolers have lost some "appeal" for higher-end users and overclockers, so they have to up the ante now and introduce new and more efficient stuff, to get some of those customers back.

this is what nvidia had to use in their kelpers after that whole Fermi fiasco

but if a remember correctly they had legal trouble use that patented design without authorization

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

This IS a copy of Noctua's vertical heatpipe technology.....

I don't mind it is, I just wanted to point it out.

a vapour chamber uses the exact same tech as a heatpipe, to spread teh heat really quickly over a larger area, but the difference here is that now, that heat is spread over, and at the same time moved away into the fin array in one heating, not two :)

because it wasnt really needed to have a good aircooler, and its probably way more expensive, since making a vapour chamber alone isnt easy, one with heatpipes attached is probably harder

this is what nvidia had to use in their kelpers after that whole Fermi fiasco

but if a remember correctly they had legal trouble use that patented design without authorization

they just used a vapour chamber coupled with normal heatpipes to get the heat inro the fins more easily, this gets rid of the slow copper interconnect between a vapour chamber and the heatpipes

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

i´m not an engenieer but isnt that actualy a bad design considering most people mount coolers this way. most of the liquid collects in the lower pipe and wont even reach the cpu.

FEkbLVEA.png

What's new? They've had the TPC line of coolers with vapour chambers that go straight up for a long time now...

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Only if air cooling was better than liquid cooling...

1. less points of faliure and noise
  2. similar performance for the price (apart from going full on custom loop, but that is way more expensive, and can be beaten by even more expensive cooling again)
  3. can also work wihout fans if you have decent airflow.

i dont see how its worse

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

• less points of faliure and noise
  • similar performance for the price (apart from going full on custom loop, but that is way more expensive, and can be beaten by even more expensive cooling again)
  • can also work wihout fans if you have decent airflow.
i dont see how its worse
No! So you mean that a 70$ cpu cooler which use air! is better than 130$ AIO liquid cooling system and more than 200$ custom water cooling kits? But why do people choose AIO liquid cooler for example why people mostly choose h100i than any other 70$ cpu air cooler.

No! So you mean that a 70$ cpu cooler which use air! is better than 130$ AIO liquid cooling system and more than 200$ custom water cooling kits? But why do people choose AIO liquid cooler for example why people mostly choose h100i than any other 70$ cpu air cooler.

2°C between a NHD15 and a Nepton 280L or an H100i. 

an NH-D15 is 109.99$ and the Nepton 280L is 119.99$ so comparable prices, comparable results. i can find you more benchmarks, but an AIO (or a custom loop) will always be more expensive for the more performance, or if its comparable, the performance will be very similar. and on top of that you have pump noise and 2 fans. with a D15 you only have 2 fans.

28063420207l.jpg

the only point of getting a 240/280mm AIO is if you dont have room around your socket for a big air cooler, but most motherboards have fixed that by having pcie_0 be an x1 slot and not a full gpu ready x16

and i never said "a 70$ cpu cooler which use air! is better than 130$ AIO liquid cooling system and more than 200$ custom water cooling kits".

if course a 130$ 360mm AIO is going to beat a Dark Rock 3 that costs 70$. but it wont be twice as good. your temperatures wont be halved. also, every one of the coolers you can think of uses air to cool the processor. the only difference is that an AIO uses water to move the heat away from the cpu faster, and store it over a larger volume before dissipating it using air.

It will be interesting to see what they release.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

How exactly would this improve performance?

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

OMG our coolers are now in 

640px-3d_avatar.svg.png

And

full-hd-logo.png

And they are 

100Green.png

Fucking marketing. 

Anyway this is not a new thing. But a lot of people seem to not understand how a vapor chamber works. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

How exactly would this improve performance?

you eliminate the slow copper bond between a vapour chamber and the heatpipes you usually have ;) only the fast fluid accelerated heat transfer

you eliminate the slow copper bond between a vapour chamber and the heatpipes you usually have ;) only the fast fluid accelerated heat transfer

Okay. I was oddly able to understand what you meant. :lol: 

Thanks LukaP (who seems to know something about everything).

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Okay. I was oddly able to understand what you meant. :lol:

Thanks LukaP (who seems to know something about everything).

Jack of many trades, master of 2 xD

this is actually right down my alley anyway, its basic physics

2°C between a NHD15 and a Nepton 280L or an H100i. 

an NH-D15 is 109.99$ and the Nepton 280L is 119.99$ so comparable prices, comparable results. i can find you more benchmarks, but an AIO (or a custom loop) will always be more expensive for the more performance, or if its comparable, the performance will be very similar. and on top of that you have pump noise and 2 fans. with a D15 you only have 2 fans.

The AIO fans replace chassis fans that would be attached regardless. An AIO has pump noise and two fans, the D15 therefore has four fans.

A few reasons. Firstly aesthetics. A lot of people just find a huge heat sink visually unappealing. Other people like the idea of it either dumping the heat directly outside their case, alternatively the fact that you can reverse the fans as intake, making case temperature irrelevant to cooling. This would be useful if you're using two or more GPUs with open coolers in SLI/Crossfire and don't want these hindering your CPU cooling. A lot of people has issues with RAM compatibility with air coolers too, making them a no-go. The NH-D15 goes some way to addressing this, but it overhangs the first PCI slot which for some motherboards introduces a whole new set of problems. And the final reason, is that an effective air cooler is a massive lump of metal. A massive lump of metal that you are hanging off of a fragile sheet of fibreglass that cost you a three figure sum of money to buy. A lot of people are uncomfortable with this in general, and it isn't unheard of for this to warp motherboards over time, but if you move your PC around a lot generally you want to be very careful in putting your PC down so you don't shatter your motherboard. And then there's form factor. Try putting an NH-D15 in a mini ITX or HTPC case. You can't. You do, however, have a wide range of AIOs to choose from.

It's worth pointing out that at some stage temperature stops being the limiting factor, and voltage and silicon lottery are what limits you. For example, my load temperatures at 4.5GHz and 1.35V are in the mid 50s so more effective cooler wouldn't really benefit me. If I wanted it to be quieter than replacing the fans on what I already have would be the sensible move.