duckypath
Go to solution Solved by Enderman,

all LCD screens since 2000 are tft

so yes it is both IPS LCD LED and TFT all in one

IPS is the type of pixels the panel has

LCD is the type of panel

LED is the backlight

TFT is the transistor on each pixel

First want to say that from what I know, LED TFT and IPS cannot be compared because they are two different things. But I am confused about how my monitor was advertised vs. what I really got.

Basically, I want a sanity check to make sure that this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236335

being advertised as IPS on newegg and on the box is the same as the monitor I got. As nothing on the box says anything about being IPS, and only saying it is a LED TFT monitor. Am I right that a monitor can be IPS and be TFT since they both pertain to different things.

IPS is the type of pixels the panel has

LCD is the type of panel

LED is the backlight

TFT is the transistor on each pixel

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Ok, that's what I thought. Just confused as to why the box in the newegg picture clearly shows IPS, while my box has no IPS wording on it.

Ok, that's what I thought. Just confused as to why the box in the newegg picture clearly shows IPS, while my box has no IPS wording on it.

as long as its listed on the manufacturer website as IPS, then it doesnt need to say it on the box, you already know that it is.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

You may want to read this > http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faqmythbuster/ < (courtesy of @Glenwing). It should help clear up any misunderstandings that you might have. :)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

as long as its listed on the manufacturer website as IPS, then it doesnt need to say it on the box, you already know that it is.

Thanks, appreciate the info.

@kberes just to be sure, what is your monitor's model number?

Thanks, appreciate the info.

You're welcome :)

Spoiler

@kberes just to be sure, what is your monitor's model number?

Just checked, and it does match the model number (VN248). Was just curious as to why it wasn't shown on box, thought IPS was supposed to be a bigger selling point. But since it was in a warehouse, putting it on the box wouldn't have done much.

Just checked, and it does match the model number (VN248). Was just curious as to why it wasn't shown on box, thought IPS was supposed to be a bigger selling point. But since it was in a warehouse, putting it on the box wouldn't have done much.

One way to tell is the viewing angles, is the display pretty consistent from all angles, no colour shifting (like TN monitors)?

One way to tell is the viewing angles, is the display pretty consistent from all angles, no colour shifting (like TN monitors)?

Funny enough, the colors are not that much better than a TN panel I own (but that is probably a calibration issue, and contrast is better). I do see a blue tint when viewing from an angle, which also made me question whether this was an IPS panel.

Funny enough, the colors are not that much better than a TN panel I own (but that is probably a calibration issue, and contrast is better).

You will need to calibrate it to get the most accurate colours, but it should be better than any TN monitor you've got. Just calibrate, calibrate, calibrate mate! :)

I do see a blue tint when viewing from an angle, which also made me question whether this was an IPS panel.

No, that's pretty normal for cheaper IPS displays. What you don't wanna see is a yellow tint like most TN monitors. :)

You will need to calibrate it to get the most accurate colours, but it should be better than any TN monitor you've got. Just calibrate, calibrate, calibrate mate! :)

No, that's pretty normal for cheaper IPS displays. What you don't wanna see is a yellow tint like most TN monitors. :)

Yeah, I MUCH prefer the blue tint over the black void I get from my TN. Will also be calibrating this monitor, as I do want to get more contrast.

@OP

I think what you meant was - 

"IPS vs TN Panel"

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."