Microsoft Spartan browser features!

THIS IS NOT A REPOST. This post is about new features of Microsoft Spartan browser features!

Microsoft-Spartan.jpg

Microsoft is planning to radically overhaul its web browser in Windows 10. Sources familiar with the company’s Windows plans tell The Verge that the new browser, codenamed Spartan, will include a host of new features not found in rival browsers.

Chief among the plans for Spartan is new inking support that allows Windows 10 users to annotate a web page with a stylus and send the notes and annotations to a friend or colleague. The web note service will be powered by Microsoft’s OneDrive cloud storage, meaning notes will be stored on a copy of a web page that can be accessed by any browser across multiple platforms. As annotations are shared, multiple users can doodle on a web page and share edits and annotations between groups.

A second major feature for Spartan will be the integration of Microsoft’s Cortana digital assistant. Microsoft is planning to use Cortana to surface information on flights, hotel bookings, package tracking, and other data within the traditional address bar. If you use Cortana to track a particular flight and start to search for "American Airlines" in the browser address bar, it will automatically display tracked flights and allow Spartan users to view the status of the flight directly. It’s a subtle addition, but you’ll also be able to access Cortana search directly from the new tab interface in Spartan. Cortana integration in the Spartan browser is planned to replace every instance of the existing Bing methods in Internet Explorer.

Other features include a new way to group tabs together to declutter the occasionally messy interface of multiple browser tabs. Spartan will allow users to group tabs however they want, making it easier, for example, to split up personal tabs from work ones. Microsoft also originally planned to allow Spartan to support custom themes, but we understand the company has dropped this for the final new browser in Windows 10. Such support may arrive in future updates.

Spartan is designed to be a single browser across PCs, tablets, and phones.

Microsoft will make Spartan a Windows Store app, enabling the company to quickly and easily update the browser in future.

ZDNet previously reported that Microsoft will continue to include Internet Explorer in Windows 10.

Spartan is the main browser in Windows 10, and most users will be accessing the web using it. While Spartan will be a Windows Store app, Microsoft isn’t planning to make it a universal app initially.

One version of Spartan will be available in the Store as a desktop app, and another as a modern app for tablets and phones. Both will be updated regularly with identical features.

Microsoft is planning to keep the look and feel of Spartan very similar across phones, tablets, and PCs.

The desktop version looks like a simplified version of Chrome, with a tabbed interface above the address bar, alongside options to go back, forward, and refresh a page. It’s all designed to look lightweight, without the bloat typically associated with older versions of Internet Explorer. While the Spartan name is a codename, it’s not clear if Microsoft plans to continue the Internet Explorer branding with its new browser. That naming and other features of Spartan could play a part in Microsoft’s Windows 10 event on January 21st. Microsoft is planning to detail the consumer features of Windows 10 at its press event later this month, including its phone and tablet features.

Here is the @XTankSlayerX 's thread which contains screen shots of Microsoft's new browser!

Source: TheVerge

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

that logo though

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

that logo though

It's just a Google search Image! :P

It better work like a Spartan.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

The same across all platforms? Oh christ. We saw how Metro did, right?

The same across all platforms? Oh christ. We saw how Metro did, right?

Some liked it, but most did not.

Some liked it, but most did not.

Pretty sure the biggest gripe about 8 from 95% of people I knew was: "I couldn't figure out how to use it." The biggest relief I heard from most people about 8.1 in contrast to 8? "Thank god the Start menu is back." Not even joking. I had literal phone calls with family--both teens and adults+grandparents, asking how to use 8.

that logo though

That better not be the final logo... haha

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

Pretty sure the biggest gripe about 8 from 95% of people I knew was: "I couldn't figure out how to use it." The biggest relief I heard from most people about 8.1 in contrast to 8? "Thank god the Start menu is back." Not even joking. I had literal phone calls with family--both teens and adults+grandparents, asking how to use 8.

Yea, I agree with that. I even receive calls about all these "How do I do that in Windows 8?" like that.

It's just a start menu changed in Windows 8, I don't know why people hating it so much.

But anyway, I'm liking it so much :)

This is awesome that the web browser will be same on all platform (well, same engine). This means that now mobile devices would not have to settle anymore with a shitty web browser and start begging web sites for a silly mobile app version. You would be able to properly view the web site content, and navigate it fine!

If the web browser is available on all platform, it could kill a lot of web site apps, clearing people smart phone app clutter, and increase space.

I also like the tab grouping, and note taking! If it has addon's and it maintain the awesome fluid, rapid and smooth scrolling experience, High-DPI, and touch experience, I am changing. I don't care if it's slower. Screw that. I can wait an extra 500ms, if it means that surfing the web will be much better experience, ans if it's just as fast, great! That is even better news.

"simplified version of Chrome"

How is that even possible. Chrome is about as dumbed down as it gets.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

This is awesome that the web browser will be same on all platform (well, same engine). This means that now mobile devices would not have to settle anymore with a shitty web browser and start begging web sites for a silly mobile app version. You would be able to properly view the web site content, and navigate it fine!

If the web browser is available on all platform, it could kill a lot of web site apps, clearing people smart phone app clutter, and increase space.

I also like the tab grouping, and note taking! If it has addon's and it maintain the awesome fluid, rapid and smooth scrolling experience, High-DPI, and touch experience, I am changing. I don't care if it's slower. Screw that. I can wait an extra 500ms, if it means that surfing the web will be much better experience, ans if it's just as fast, great! That is even better news.

and the the fan boy has spoken

for 1 most mobile browsers are very close to there desktop counter parts, that web app thing is down to the developers not the browser.  in fact its lazy devs that use mobile frameworks instead of responsive design in there sites and fail to give users the option to display the desktop site.  MS are trying to reinvent IE because it has such a bad rep and justifiably so. even with 11 the support for modern web standards is shit.  11 supports only 62% of current css3 standards compared to 82% of firefox in fact the next browser in the pecking order is safari @ 75%, and its a similar story for html5.

instead of fancy features how about building a browser that behaviors correctly instead of needing hacks and work a rounds to do things other browsers have supported for ages

oh and those web apps you hate so much are totally optional 

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

and the the fan boy has spoken

for 1 most mobile browsers are very close to there desktop counter parts, that web app thing is down to the developers not the browser.  in fact its lazy devs that use mobile frameworks instead of responsive design in there sites and fail to give users the option to display the desktop site.  MS are trying to reinvent IE because it has such a bad rep and justifiably so. even with 11 the support for modern web standards is shit.  11 supports only 62% of current css3 standards compared to 82% of firefox in fact the next browser in the pecking order is safari @ 75%, and its a similar story for html5.

instead of fancy features how about building a browser that behaviors correctly instead of needing hacks and work a rounds to do things other browsers have supported for ages

oh and those web apps you hate so much are totally optional 

Well, I don't have a smartphone, but everyone that asks for apps on a web site, end up being that the web browser sucks on their phone. I haven't encountered anyone, including friends that don't trash talk on Chrome or Safari on their phones. If Spartan is like the desktop, and it's available on Android and/or iPhone, this is clearly be fantastic. Making it optional, and not have to fight visiting some sites. I get that some sites you want notification, or just the message, say Facebook, but many other don't.

I know IE isn't great, I don't use IE. I am a big Firefox user. However, in a world of touch screen device and high-DPI, when both Google and Mozilla are making virtually 0 effort in that front. I am willing to jump ship. I am planning on getting a 4K monitor, 24inch 4K for that matter (and yes, a Smartphone.. I have my eye son the Moto G, but I am waiting first on Lollipop for it first, or if another phone will come out in the same price range to consider, anyway), so who ever wakes up and gets me the best web experience, wins in my books. So if it has add-ons support, decently fast, super responsive, proper touch control/implementation, and proper high-DPI, wins. IE 11 for me is close, but the performance is not there, and the lack of proper add-on system is blocking me to switch. Based on rumors and leaks, it looks like Spartan will fix those issues.

As for IE11 support, web developers on this forum have said that it is no longer true that you need to do special exceptions for IE, with IE11. They do for older version of IE, but IE11 is fine.

As for web support. The mass majority of web sites are designed for the lowest common denominator computers, which aren't powerful enough to run many fancy 3D graphics or effects. So the lack of some of the standards is fine. OBVIOUSLY it would be a better, but I wont' block me to switch. It's not like some sites won't work, as a user. And if web devs are angry, they should be pushing Firefox and Chrome team to wake up.

and the slight sliver of hope i had for Microsoft's new browser has gone

I hope the actual icon is a Metro-style Master Chief helmet.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

(and yes, a Smartphone.. I have my eye son the Moto G, but I am waiting first on Lollipop for it first, or if another phone will come out in the same price range to consider, anyway)

10/10 phone can recommend for its price,though i'm a bit surprised how long moto is taking to ship 5 to the phones where they were the first to announce an update for it, also forget about enabling encryption, tanks performance a lot due to how slow it is to read and write data to the storage memory

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Cortana was nice, and actually had a meainingfully relevant name, but this seems kinda forced.

"The unexamined life is not worth living" - Apology 38a, Socrates