Is A HTPC Worth It?

Just asking anyone if they think a HTPC is worth it and if i was going to build one,how much should i spend.

- RobbiePC

Just asking anyone if they think a HTPC is worth it and if i was going to build one,how much should i spend.

- RobbiePC

Depends what you want to do

Honestly I would just wait and grab sometihng like the new razer $99 console when it comes out and stream content from your pC

or get a chromecast or something

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

It all depends. If you want to game and watch TV on a screen that is away from your main rig, and you can afford it, then I don't see why not.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

Personally, no. If you have a relatively quiet PC that is close to your TV/projector, it will do fine for playing movies. I don't like the idea of streaming at all.

Intel NUCs are the best option for HTPC if you want something small and very low power.

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

If all you do is media consumption, then get a set-top box as it's cheaper and easier to set-up. If you want to game locally, a gaming HTPC IS A MUST. If you want to stream PC games, use a NUC, old PC, or the 130 dollar Intel PC stick.

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

I have an HTPC it was worth the money, though if you don't want to play anything and you are going to stream all your videos from your network then it's not worth it.

my htpc's were built using old hardware i had lying about, hooked up to the tv

only just updated them both with amd apu + mb , brought the cheapest i could find tho

but really one thoses htpcs is my media server  too , has 4x2tb 2x1.5tb drives in it aswell as the system ssd   :D 

• 1 month later...

Kind of OT, but this would make a nice HTPC in one of the upcoming passive cases for it:

Intel-NUC-NUC5i7RYH-645x442.jpg

http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-nuc-nuc5i7ryh-intel-iris-graphics-6100-shown-gdc_159542

I hope AMD can build a similar platform with Carrizo. The weaker CPU would be an okay compromise as Carrizo supposedly offers native H.265 decoding.

Every single computer in my house is an HTPC so my answer is bias. If you don't like sitting at a desk to game then it is your best option. 

No! - better get a SmartTV. - at last, in my case.

I had a HTPC once.. OK, some of them.

I started with an old Laptop, where the Screen has been crashed.

Later, I used my old PC, but I don't liked the way, it drained power.

Then, i built an proper HTPC. Intel Atom D330, 4GB RAM, SSD, miniITX Case+Motherboard...

I had this one, for about 2.5 Years. I also tested many OS. From XP Media Center Edition over XBMC over to Windows 7 (kinda loved the MediaCenter in Win7) - I Also had an DVB-S Receiver connected to the PC. Which took a Million Years of Time to Setup in some Scenarios.

For Me personal: Windows 7 with MediaCenter (in Autostart) worked best. 

Later, i switched to an other old Laptop, because the Atom 330 was to slow for F-HD DTS playback. - So i turned it into an Server ;)

All of them where used on my "old" (power-hungry) Dumb-TV.

---

In Novemberi switched to a new SmartTV - Samsung UE48H6470 (Exact Modelnumber may vary in US/CA...).

I now play my Movies and Series from my Personal Server (formally known as HTPC) via Plex MediaCenter. App on TV, Server on Server...

I also could use the DLNA Standard, which works fine with the TV, but i like how Plex works. ;)

Other Services joined soon: Netflix (not the best in EU) and Amazon Prime (i have it anyways...) and some Local Steaming Services (still searching the best for me)

By now: i would never use a HTPC any more. Newer TVs become more than capable of what I (or probably you) could do with a HTPC. And it's way less work.
With the right TV, you got all the benefits of a HTPC: Recording, Play Streams, Stream from TV to an Tablet (rly nice, btw...) 3D (if you like it - i do), Webbrowsing (not as nice as on a PC, but enough for a TV), etc.

But if, i would by me a new one now: intel NUC or something similar...

or probably the HDMI-Stick from intel - has it been released yet? 

LANinfo.at - Austrias LAN-Party Portal

I like my HTPC because I use it as my DVR with an InfiniTV 6.and cable card. Ditched the cable company's crappy DVR systems.  I also have cetons echos in other rooms and a xbox 360 for media exteners.  Basically whole house DVR/TV without paying the cable company every month to rent all their equipment.

Was it worth it? I don't know it was a lot of up front money.  It wigs out sometimes and has to be reconfigured randomly, but saves like $40 a month for me overall.