Smash the PS4 for $402

Jack.EXE
Go to solution Solved by Jack.EXE,

This build was intended to be used with SteamOS.

When I clicked this I thought you were going to do a kickstarter where we pay you $402 to smash a PS4

That would be awesome. For every $600 raised, we will smash a PS4, and send the rest to a charity.

Is it bad that my dream setup only costs a few thousand not counting the obutto?

CPU: FX-8320

Motherboard: asrock 970Pro3 r2.0

Memory: Team Zeus Blue 8GB DDR3-1600 Memory 

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB DUAL-X Video Card 

Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case  

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  

SSD: MX100 128GB

HDD: WD 2TB black edition

why does no one include windows prices

what we get mad about illegal shit but pirating windows is all good.

swag, but no windows :(

aside from the fact most people already own a windows copy or a windows pc to clone the install from, windows 10 tech preview is currently free. And even if that didn't exist, consoles don't include in the store price the yearly sub fee you must pay to play online. How is that any different? 4 years of sub fee are much more expensive than a windows copy. Also, steamos & linux in general are a thing, although not all games are supported the vast majority can run either natively or through wine.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I think it's cheaper to buy a windows key than go to uni to get a free windows key.

u could register, pay for one class, get the key

and drop the class before the period is over (full refund period)

Main PC: 4690k // Z97 // R9 280 3GB // 8gb Ram // CM Elite 430 Case // 750 EVGA B PSU // 1TB HDD

Living Room "Console" PC: FX 8350 // 990a SLI Krait // R7 360 // 8gb Ram // HAF 912 // 750 EVGA B PSU // 1TB HDD

Future Plans:

find a 2nd monitor at a pawn shop

Sell/giveaway R7 360, move r9 280 into console PC, buy a better GPU for main PC.

No peripherals. No OS (to play all games, SteamOS is too young). Can't even play Far Cry 4 without annoying work arounds.

Console killer PCs suck. It's better to make the argument, just upgrade the PC you already have (most people have PCs).

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

When I clicked this I thought you were going to do a kickstarter where we pay you $402 to smash a PS4

Thought the same thing.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

The truth is, you can always build a rig that will kill consoles performance wise. But you will never kill a console for its simplicity. You turn on your console, pick your game, and play. No screwing with drivers, temps, and settings. 

PC is defiantly my main gaming platform, free games, steam sales, and lowtemps high FPS. But I will always have a console in my livingroom for when I just want to turn it on, and play.

That's just it, I set my rig up once, install all of my games and I'm good to go, a smaller case (and maybe an ITX 970) and I would have a console killer that will be around for years without having to pay extra to use the online services or worry about low FPS and quality. Fair enough I can't do local multiplayer the way a console can but since I can play online without any hassles that isn't a problem. And if your not going to do any overclocking and the like, temps and settings won't really be an issue.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

That's just it, I set my rig up once, install all of my games and I'm good to go, a smaller case (and maybe an ITX 970) and I would have a console killer that will be around for years without having to pay extra to use the online services or worry about low FPS and quality. Fair enough I can't do local multiplayer the way a console can but since I can play online without any hassles that isn't a problem. And if your not going to do any overclocking and the like, temps and settings won't really be an issue.

I don't know. I don't think you can ever beat a console, or a PC. They should work together. You have your huge 3k gaming rig that will crush every game without breaking a sweat. Than you have your console in your livingroom where you can just sitdown and play some games when you just want to relax, and not worry about game crushing FPS.

Is it bad that my dream setup only costs a few thousand not counting the obutto?

CPU: FX-8320

Motherboard: asrock 970Pro3 r2.0

Memory: Team Zeus Blue 8GB DDR3-1600 Memory 

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB DUAL-X Video Card 

Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case  

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  

SSD: MX100 128GB

HDD: WD 2TB black edition

This build was intended to be used with SteamOS.

just get linux every game that is compatible with steamOS works on linux also 

there is an application called play on linux where you can use wine to play windows games. i can play league using it

I don't know. I don't think you can ever beat a console, or a PC. They should work together. You have your huge 3k gaming rig that will crush every game without breaking a sweat. Than you have your console in your livingroom where you can just sitdown and play some games when you just want to relax, and not worry about game crushing FPS.

I actually have my 1.5K rig which only needs an ATX mobo with a PCI slot so it can take over my set top box by letting me watch AND record TV in my living room hooked up to my TV, then I have my xbox original with; a 160GB HDD, a region free DVD player (suck on that content controllers) that works through the xbox controller, the ability to copy DVDs-no matter the DRM used- to the HDD, the full 128MB RAM installed (only half of the available spots on the motherboard were filled). As such I am not worried about 'game crushing FPS' that much because my Xbox is still better than my P3 computer (still have it working like new minus the dead HDD) with higher graphics settings in the same games (eg. Halo 1). Note that I promised myself I would get a newer console when my current one died (which it hasn't after 13 years-and I still have enough spare PSU, DVD drives and pre-cloned HDD to keep it going for easily another 10 years). I'm one of those people that sticks with something for a really long time after I get it doing exactly what I want when I want-my main rig as it is is going to be getting used until I literally can not play new games on it with my 1080p screen.

Edit: The Xbox can also play 1080p videos, but at the standard resolution due to the limits of AV.

PMSL

yes its perfect for gaming!

I heard you can't even play common games like LoL on Linux?

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

Linux for gaming? Sure. Let me run Skyrim with my 150 mods + uber killer ENB that somehow doesn't kill my system. Then I'll switch over to Battlefield 4, the game I've put the most hours on in the past year. 

GIMP as a Photoshop/Creative Suite replacement? Lol. Okay. Anyone making money off their work isn't doing that. 

Why do these builds never include the OS? Sony doesn't say "Tough shit, buy the PS4 OS or pirate it somehow". Thats not how it works. Thats not how any of it works. Include the fucking price of Windows because thats what people need to be aware of. Even if its the 60 dollar key that is volume licensed and works, thats still a cost! 

Also, for 500 dollars you're not maxing out shit nor are you running Photoshop or Lightroom well. Lightroom made my system weep with 32GB of RAM and a overly overlocked i7, to say nothing of the load that Photoshop can induce even with acceleration help. Its why I'm going full X99, more for the copious amounts of memory than anything else. 

I also don't get why some people here have so much of their self worth tied to what platform they play on. Its almost sad. Somehow, and I can't explain how, I can go from playing Skyrim on my gaming rig to now leaving to play Halo on my Xbox One. In the same room no less. And my world is still perfectly intact, no black holes or hell freezing over or anything out of the ordinary. 

Damn, i was hoping for some real hammer style smashing. :(

Clickbait!!!!

/j

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

This is about the best you can do for <$400

Motherboard: Asus H81M-D PLUS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($44.49 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Crucial 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($29.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card  ($111.98 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($89.98 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $389.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-23 11:44 EST-0500

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

You can get the G3258 up to 4.7-4.8 GHZ. You can also overclock the MSI. Good luck fegits.

Type|Item|Price

:----|:----|:----

**CPU** | [intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646g3258) | $68.98 @ OutletPC 

**CPU Cooler** | [Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rr212e20pkr2) | $28.75 @ OutletPC 

**Motherboard** | [Asus H81M-E Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-h81me) | $53.99 @ SuperBiiz 

**Memory** | [Corsair XMS3 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-memory-cmx4gx3m1a1333c9) | $22.99 @ Newegg 

**Storage** | [seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seagate-internal-hard-drive-st1000dm003) | $48.88 @ OutletPC 

**Case** | [Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/deepcool-case-tesseractbf) | $40.98 @ Newegg 

**Power Supply** | [Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cx600m) | $39.99 @ Newegg 

| | **Total**

| Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available | $304.56

| Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-24 02:49 EST-0500 |

Fujitsu Celsius 380W: i5 650 @ 3.2 Ghz | FUJITSU D2917-A1 | 4GB RAM 1333Mhz | ASUS GTX 750 TI Strix OC Edition | Fujitsu Case | 380W Fujitsu PSU | 250GB HDD | Windows 7 64 bit | Dell P2214H

Rekty Shrekty 

You can get the G3258 up to 4.7-4.8 GHZ. You can also overclock the MSI. Good luck fegits.

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
**CPU** | [intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646g3258) | $68.98 @ OutletPC 
**CPU Cooler** | [Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rr212e20pkr2) | $28.75 @ OutletPC 
**Motherboard** | [Asus H81M-E Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-h81me) | $53.99 @ SuperBiiz 
**Memory** | [Corsair XMS3 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-memory-cmx4gx3m1a1333c9) | $22.99 @ Newegg 
**Storage** | [seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seagate-internal-hard-drive-st1000dm003) | $48.88 @ OutletPC 
**Case** | [Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/deepcool-case-tesseractbf) | $40.98 @ Newegg 
**Power Supply** | [Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cx600m) | $39.99 @ Newegg 
 | | **Total**
 | Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available | $304.56
 | Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-24 02:49 EST-0500 |

That is where you'd add an i3, because they perform better with games than a Pentium or an FX 8350.

PMSL

That is where you'd add an i3, because they perform better with games than a Pentium or an FX 8350.

Not really. G3258 performs the same as an i3 4160 in games, the only downside of the g3258 would be no multi-threading, in comparation to the i3. Also, you can OC it to 4.7-4.8 GHZ, so you'll have pretty good performances.

Fujitsu Celsius 380W: i5 650 @ 3.2 Ghz | FUJITSU D2917-A1 | 4GB RAM 1333Mhz | ASUS GTX 750 TI Strix OC Edition | Fujitsu Case | 380W Fujitsu PSU | 250GB HDD | Windows 7 64 bit | Dell P2214H

Rekty Shrekty 

Not really. G3258 performs the same as an i3 4160 in games, the only downside of the g3258 would be no multi-threading, in comparation to the i3. Also, you can OC it to 4.7-4.8 GHZ, so you'll have pretty good performances.

The i3 can play games like farcry 4 at decent FPS, the G3258 can't. The i3 is better overall, with the G3258 only being good as a fun CPU if you have a locked i5, or if you need a placeholder.

PMSL

i thought I just saw a comment about using photoshop in the livingroom

• 4 weeks later...

You can buy a legit Windows 7 Home Premium key from DNK13 at /r/microsoftsoftwareswap for a flat $15. Boom.

Really? In that case I might buy a second copy and have both of my rigs up and running.

Edit: $10 more = Windows 7 Ultimate-I know what I'm getting.

PMSL

Pirating windows hardly works anyway. Keys always running out at random points, can't install all updates... Not to mention the RAT's and TROJANS hidden on the cracked files. 

DAZ-loader was and is the final word in activating windows 7. (Even when I have a valid key)

Most of the methods for windows 8 are sketchy as fuck though. "Connect to this cracked network activation server"

So, I half agree with you.