[CES 2015] AMD Freesync Monitors

bogus

So PCPer got in touch with the first Freesync-monitor demos in AMDs showroom. Such monitors from different manufacturers and with different resolutions, aspect ratios, refresh rates and panel techs - basically a wide range of scenarios that pretty much puts Freesync to the test.

In a tl;dr way - Freesync works within the range of the monitors Hz (now we will have a new spec in the equasion wich is minimum Hz -or minimum frequency), and beyond or above such range V-Sync is either enabled or disabled (it's in the user power to make such decisions). What are the consequences of this? Does V Sync works in any different way with FreeSync monitors? Does it behave any different, either better, worst, or the same as G-Sync?

They already got answers for some old questions, others are still yet to be answered, and new questions were born.

One thing is sure, we are getting closer to one of the most anticipated fights of the past years. Not it's not Mayweather VS Pacquiao.

It's G-Sync VS Freesync.

What kind of fight will it be? Well with Variable Refresh Rates it will not only be face to face within the ranges of the monitors, but will also be in their own corners outside the ranges of the VRR frequencys!

Ah yes... It will definatly be a pain in the ass for hardware reviewers!

Source: http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/CES-2015-AMD-Talks-Technical-about-FreeSync-Monitors

Does gysnc have to use vsync when the frame rate is above 60fps, or is it just the implementation of freesync that has to do it. EDIT: So is it me or does gysnc sound a lot better than free sync? I thought that the whole point of gsync was to eliminate the use of vsync. But free sync has to use vsync(to eliminate tearing) so won't that introduce input lag, or do I have it all wrong? (assuming your frame rate changes from like 40fps to around 70/80fps) 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

The LG 34um67...

... seems to be BEST IN SLOT gaming monitor till OLED is cheap

also, Ryan made a mistake. The LG 34um67 is not a max 60hz monitor, its max 75hz.

The LG 34um67...

... seems to be BEST IN SLOT gaming monitor till OLED is cheap

also, Ryan made a mistake. The LG 34um67 is not a max 60hz monitor, its max 75hz.

it's 60, most monitors can run at higher refresh rates, but at low resolution not native, which matters. it's 60hz at native.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

A monitor with GSync and FreeSync will be amazing!!! :D :D :D

I'm sure it'll cost much more than any gaming monitor.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

Does gysnc have to use vsync when the frame rate is above 60fps, or is it just the implementation of freesync that has to do it. EDIT: So is it me or does gysnc sound a lot better than free sync? I thought that the whole point of gsync was to eliminate the use of vsync. But free sync has to use vsync so won't that introduce input lag, or do I have it all wrong?

partially, The Vsync is used as a back up for when the frame rate is above the highest refresh rate, so if you had a 120Hz Gsync panel that was playing minecraft at 300 fps you should get screen tearing (Haven't seen it in person) It appears to be a thing that both sides are only able to work within a certain range without screen tearing

If free sync requires an AMD card... This doesn't sound free... Unless they are talking about being free from tearing...

LTT CSGO SERVER! IP 8.12.22.45!~  Connect by connecting on csgo console

Use console command "connect"   --->  connect 8.12.22.45

If free sync requires an AMD card... This doesn't sound free... Unless they are talking about being free from tearing...

FreeSync is the name of the AMD driver support for the AdaptiveSync standard. If Intel gave driver support for AdaptiveSync then it would work with computers with Intel graphics and compatible Display-port. If Nvidia was super awesome they could have driver support for AdaptiveSync.

We all know that the last one won't happen :(

Does gysnc have to use vsync when the frame rate is above 60fps, or is it just the implementation of freesync that has to do it. EDIT: So is it me or does gysnc sound a lot better than free sync? I thought that the whole point of gsync was to eliminate the use of vsync. But free sync has to use vsync(to eliminate tearing) so won't that introduce input lag, or do I have it all wrong? (assuming your frame rate changes from like 40fps to around 70/80fps) 

No.  First off, the user chooses what happens when the framerate goes outside the frequency range, Vsync on or off.  Second, this problem will occur with G-Sync as well, once the framerate goes outside the monitor's frequency range, either higher or lower, then you either have screen tearing or you need Vsync.

For now yes, but the technology has been provided to Intel and nVidia.  nVidia has announced that they will not support it, not sure about Intel though.  The free part of the name refers to the fact that it is essentially open-source.

i7-5820k  |  MSI X99S SLI-Plus  |  4x4GB HyperX 2400 DDR4  |  Sapphire Radeon R9 295X2  |  Samsung 840 EVO 1TB x2  |  Corsair AX1200i  |  Corsair H100i  |  NZXT H440 Razer

FreeSync is the name of the AMD driver support for the AdaptiveSync standard. If Intel gave driver support for AdaptiveSync then it would work with computers with Intel graphics and compatible Display-port. If Nvidia was super awesome they could have driver support for AdaptiveSync.

We all know that the last one won't happen :(

Actually NVIDIA can't support AdaptiveSync, even the 900 series cards are stuck with DP 1.2 controller... wich was the 2012 standard...

Why? Maybe to gain some cents in their already high margins? Maybe to lock their clients to G-Sync? Only NVIDIA knows.

Actually NVIDIA can't support AdaptiveSync, even the 900 series cards are stuck with DP 1.2 controller... wich was the 2012 standard...

Why? Maybe to gain some cents in their already high margins? Maybe to lock their clients to G-Sync? Only NVIDIA knows.

Well they're going to have to move on eventually, so their next generation of GPUs will likely have 1.2a or higher, and they would be able to implement Freesync/AdaptiveSync.  Regardless, they did say they weren't going to support it although that may change.

i7-5820k  |  MSI X99S SLI-Plus  |  4x4GB HyperX 2400 DDR4  |  Sapphire Radeon R9 295X2  |  Samsung 840 EVO 1TB x2  |  Corsair AX1200i  |  Corsair H100i  |  NZXT H440 Razer

I'm so happy that I've decided to wait on my 144hz monitor seeing that one of the first to be released with free-sync will be 144hz, AWESOME!

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

Well they're going to have to move on eventually, so their next generation of GPUs will likely have 1.2a or higher, and they would be able to implement Freesync/AdaptiveSync.  Regardless, they did say they weren't going to support it although that may change.

Oh surely, but still, they could be up to date with their new cards... I mean, it's a 2012 standard, and it's not like someone who buys a 980 in 2014, spends 600 dollars to be locked out when their cards will last for quite some time. I just find it bad... but hey it's just my opinion.

If I recall correctly, someone from inside NVIDIA (I think it was someone technical) said they will eventually support adaptivesync. Then some PR manager, surely following NVIDIA protocols, bluntly said "No, we are not supporting it".

So you can take some conclusions out of this. 

There was no mention of input types supported. GSync is only through DP I think and they won't have any other ports either.

that would be a first and weird... but i guess it is.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I hope the VRR window on the other monitors is much better than the LG one PCPer writes about in their article. 40 Hz to 60 Hz? I know Nvidia has a similar issue on Gsync monitors, but a 40 Hz lower limit is pretty crappy.

I think I found in a nutshell the differences between F-Sync and G-sync (feel free to fill in.

Both work in a master/slave relation between the GPU and the monitor.

With F-Sync, the GPU is the master and the monitor the slave

And with G-Sync its the other way around with it's G-Sync module.

Now we can also understand the whole V-sync talk.

With F-sync the GPU can freely decide whether its activates F-sync or V-sync

Below 30FPS (you're screwed :) ), between 30-60 FPS it's F-Sync and above 60 it's V-sync

All that matters is the smooth transition between.

This also explains the low amount of supported GPU's, since it's needs to communicate with the monitor via VRR protocol in DP 1.2a.

And with the G-sync module being the master it does not need something like that and only needs something in the driver.

But with that said it does not need any extra hardware since the GPU does all the stuff and communicates via the VRR protocol (or whatever its called)

FX-8120 | ASUS Crosshair V Formula | G.Skill Sniper 8GB DDR3-1866 CL9 | Club3D Radeon R9 290 RoyalAce |Thermaltake Chaser MkIII | 128GB M4 Crucial + 2TB HDD storage | Cooler Master 850M | Scythe Mugen 3 | Corsair Strafe RGB | Logitech G500

There was no mention of input types supported. GSync is only through DP I think and they won't have any other ports either.

Displayport is needed for Freesync since it utilizes AdaptiveSync, which is a part of the Displayport standard now.  Not sure whether or not other ports will be available though.

that would be a first and weird... but i guess it is.

Not a first even. 72hz IPSs have been around for years now. They are 1080p only tho, and hard to find now, but there was a lot of them at one point.

So now we have another argument to add to the roster of

apple vs windows

intel vs amd

nvidia vs amd

and now, Freesync vs Gsync.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I'd say it's technically still nVidia vs AMD...

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

So now we have another argument to add to the roster of

apple vs windows

intel vs amd

nvidia vs amd

You're missing the matches:

- Mantle vs DirectX12 vs OpenGL (Wich is basicly Mantle 1.0 VS Mantle 1.Microsoft VS Mantle 1.Khronos)

- Honey Boo Boo vs Diabetes and probably Early Heart Malfunctioning

You're missing the matches:

- Mantle vs DirectX12 vs OpenGL (Wich is basicly Mantle 1.0 VS Mantle 1.Microsoft VS Mantle 1.Khronos)

- Honey Boo Boo vs Diabetes and probably Early Heart Malfunctioning

I'd say that last one isn't really an argument, I think it's universally agreed who we are all pulling for in that one. The biggest hope I think is that the entire gene line gets hit with something and is eliminated from the gene pool.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs