Harrynowl's ULTIMATE CPU Showdown! (WIP)

I have R15s OpenCL, as it's very single thread bound also.

I have Valley, but I'll look into some other ones. I got most of them from the TechPowerUp database as I don't have many games personally.

Yea, the R15 OpenCL is the one I was referring too.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Yea, the R15 OpenCL is the one I was referring too.

I'm not sure how much of a difference it will show between the FX and i5 when paired with a 7950, will be curious to see.

I do know that the FX CPU has trouble breaking 100fps, even when overclocked to 4.8Ghz if it is paired with a high end GPU, a la, 780/290 and above.

I remember stock i5 @ 3.4Ghz doing ~121fps while the FX8 @ 4.8Ghz doing ~98fps when both using the same GTX780 at stock.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

I'm not sure how much of a difference it will show between the FX and i5 when paired with a 7950, will be curious to see.

I do know that the FX CPU has trouble breaking 100fps, even when overclocked to 4.8Ghz if it is paired with a high end GPU, a la, 780/290 and above.

I remember stock i5 @ 3.4Ghz doing ~121fps while the FX8 @ 4.8Ghz doing ~98fps when both using the same GTX780 at stock.

I get ~150 FPS out of my 6970 on an i5 and only a few more with my 7950,

IIRC 8320 is something along the lines of 90

I get ~150 FPS out of my 6970 on an i5 and only a few more with my 7950,

IIRC 8320 is something along the lines of 90

Woah thats pretty different than what I recall.

Will be interesting to see the final results if that is what you choose to run as part of your benchmarking suite.

Woah thats pretty different than what I recall.

Will be interesting to see the final results if that is what you choose to run as part of your benchmarking suite.

It relies heavily on a single thread, so my 6970 and 7950 being with margin of error means I'm limiting my GPU in that test with my i5, so given the 8320s... lack of single threaded performance that should be about right.

yeah, the gpu benchmark in cinebench is still a cpu benchmark really so its not the best to compare gpu's at all in terms of gaming or real world performance. also it open GL not open CL, outside the amd cards would be a good 4-10 times faster :P

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Well not sure what to say

I could not find any New/Used Core 2 Quad CPUs like the Q6600 or Q9450 but I spotted a Used QX6700 for like 50 Singapore dollars which is extimated for around 40 USD

I could get a brand new Gigabyte G41M-Combo which will allow me to use up to 8GB DDR3 for 110 Singapore dollars or around 88 USD

and Corsair Vengence DDR3 8GB Kit for 112SGD which is around 89USD

so in total will be 217USD or 272 SGD

will this be a worthwhile buy?

@harrynowl

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Well not sure what to say

I could not find any New/Used Core 2 Quad CPUs like the Q6600 or Q9450 but I spotted a Used QX6700 for like 50 Singapore dollars which is extimated for around 40 USD

I could get a brand new Gigabyte G41M-Combo which will allow me to use up to 8GB DDR3 for 110 Singapore dollars or around 88 USD

and Corsair Vengence DDR3 8GB Kit for 112SGD which is around 89USD

so in total will be 217USD or 272 SGD

will this be a worthwhile buy?

@harrynowl

it depends what you want to do with it,that qx6700 is an old stepping (qx6850 is new) so it'd probably run a  bit hot and guzzle power

if you plan to do any overclocking you wont want a g41 board, but for general use it'd be ok :)

it depends what you want to do with it,that qx6700 is an old stepping (qx6850 is new) so it'd probably run a  bit hot and guzzle power

if you plan to do any overclocking you wont want a g41 board, but for general use it'd be ok :)

yea it will be for general use

I happen to have a Quadro FX4800 GPU to pair it with the CPU

so this will be a basic gaming PC for old school games like Mechwarrior 4 series

and will also add a CM 212 Evo/Plus/Hyper whichever i find as the cooler

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

@harrynowl your signature states that you have the fastest gt610 on LTT, can I as you what your speeds are?

CPU: Ryzen 3 3600 | GPU: Gigabite GTX 1660 super | Motherboard: MSI Mortar MAX | RAM: G Skill Trident Z 3200 (2x8GB) | Case: Cooler Master Q300L | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 250G + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Displays: LG 27'' G-Sync compatible 144hz 1080p | Cooling: NH U12S black | Keyboard: Logitech G512 carbon | Mouse: Logitech g900 

@harrynowl your signature states that you have the fastest gt610 on LTT, can I as you what your speeds are?

My GT610 is 1045Mhz core 780 memory :)

It's the fastest one in the doc here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlC81MjwelBgdEZNV3l6aHl1eUNwSUR4Rml0MXMzN1E&usp=sharing#gid=2

and I haven't seen any clocked higher posted :)

great job with the benchmarks @harrynowl

thanks a lot!

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I am looking forward to the gaming benchmarks being included.  While I was interested to see the G3258's single core performance in synthetic benchmarks and whatever I am a gamer so yeah waiting on seeing those gaming benchmarks.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

I am looking forward to the gaming benchmarks being included.  While I was interested to see the G3258's single core performance in synthetic benchmarks and whatever I am a gamer so yeah waiting on seeing those gaming benchmarks.

well I'm currently 96/150 odd benchmarks run... it's extremely time consuming but I have a holiday so I hope to get most/all done now

well I'm currently 96/150 odd benchmarks run... it's extremely time consuming but I have a holiday so I hope to get most/all done now

No hurry whatsoever and I can understand it is a very time consuming task.  I am just excited to see what all is shown in the end.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

No hurry whatsoever and I can understand it is a very time consuming task.  I am just excited to see what all is shown in the end.

some of the results may be surprising, you never know :)

Cinebench's built in GPU benchmark is a good one.

Valley, Heaven, Metro:LL, Tomb Raider, Bioshock, I'll let you know if I think of others.

shadow of mordor also has a benchmark built-in...and the formula 1 games.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Quick question... what do you think of fancy graphs?

Here's a sample (the results aren't my actual results, you can wait for those :))

omFL4Ey.png

Here's a sample (the results aren't my actual results, you can wait for those :))

omFL4Ey.png

that looks really good brother

but it's missing the clockspeeds though.

And you should put what graphics card/ settings resume (resolution, settings preset) on top of the graph for gaming.

that looks really good brother

That Q9650 really smoked the AMD FX in BF4 like that?

oh and it's missing the clockspeeds though.

yeah i saw that after the fact...post is edited now, please re-read ;)

looks cool.

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Man that looks great! Shit, that is so professional you could just make some numbers up for an R9 3xx and those graphs would be posted on WCCF within a couple hours :Pjk

I really like it :)

Man that looks great! Shit, that is so professional you could just make some numbers up for an R9 3xx and those graphs would be posted on WCCF within a couple hours :Pjk

I really like it :)

Someone actually did that on... OCN I think it was. They made up an A10-8890K or something.

edit:

http://wccftech.com/amds-carrizo-apu-a10-8890k-cpuz-hexacore-20nm/

http://www.overclock.net/a/a-troubling-trend

Someone actually did that on... OCN I think it was. They made up an A10-8890K or something.

edit: http://wccftech.com/amds-carrizo-apu-a10-8890k-cpuz-hexacore-20nm/

LOL that is exactly what I thought of when I wrote it haha :lol: Those weren't even believable numbers! I mean 6 core, 1.165V, 95W, 20nm, 3MB L2!

Edit: The crazy part is the guy faked it for that exact reason, to see if it would be re-posted, right?