I have been struggling with a decision which is where to get a Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO, Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 or a AKG K-701, the primary use of which will be gaming 70% (all genre of games), music 20% (mainly dubstep, alternative modern rock and some pop) and films 10%. I will be purchasing these headphones with the Asus Xonar DGX and a headphone amp which I am not sure about yet. My priorities for these headphones will be an immersive gaming experience (I play all games from RPG's to FPS') so good bass is a must, however I also want to play competitively which will require good positional audio, but I still want an immersive experience>positional audio however only by a bit, keep in mind that price is not a problem with these 2 headphones, however if you suggest anything new make sure it's in the range if ~£150
I have a couple of questions:
1) Is the bass really that bad on the AKG 701's?
2) Is the DT990's mids really that bad as I have heard?
3) What amp should I get £80 max (I know wrong forum but need more opinions anyway )
4) Is bass that important for immersion in the game (such as Skyrim, BF3 etc.)?
5) What headphones do you think will be the most immersive in games and the music I listen to?
6) Is the AD700's bass and mid bass really that bad (don't forget I want immersion and I listen to music and watch movies, not just game competitively)
7) What do you think would be the best out of the three for my uses? (if you have more suggestions I have a budget of about £150 - I live in the UK).