Video Request: "iSwitched to Linux"

john01dav

it wouldnt be iswitched....

it'd be switching to linux...

i switched is for apple products becaise imac, iphone, ipad... ryhme... words...

anyway, yes i do want this to happen too! :D

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

He tries to do iSwitched videos from the perspective of the average user... I couldn't figure out how to do a ton of things on Linux. I can't even imagine how the average user could deal with it.

i could...

cause you know...

windows costs a hundred bucks...

xD

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

I agree. He would be allowed to use programs like Wine to help the transition because Linux should be whatever you want it to be.

linus&linux should be the name. either that or linux with linus. 

to me linux is free windows with some minor changes and different functions. xD

-Jim Hensen

linus&linux should be the name. either that or linux with linus. 

to me linux is free windows with some minor changes and different functions. xD

But it is currently inferior when it comes to hardware compatibility and PC gaming 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Does android even run on x86_64?

It can barely run on multiple android chipsets. Every device on a Qualcomm platform makes it alot easier for the phone companies to make Android the good OS it was. 

let alone X86. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

i could...

cause you know...

windows costs a hundred bucks...

xD

Try and figure out how to make your computer's internal IP static without breaking your operating system. All the tutorials I found back in the day required you to edit system files via command line, even though ubuntu had a gui thing that did that.

You can get it cheap off of ebay.

Try and figure out how to make your computer's internal IP static without breaking your operating system. All the tutorials I found back in the day required you to edit system files via command line, even though ubuntu had a gui thing that did that.

You can get it cheap off of ebay.

and the legit-ness of those ebay copies scares me,. xD

-Jim Hensen

If his iSwitched to Linux video goes anything like my experience with Ubuntu did a couple of days ago then he'll just reinstall Windows 7 2 hours after the install of Linux...

Seriously, fuck Terminal and everything that requires the use of it...

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

But it is currently inferior when it comes to hardware compatibility and PC gaming 

*heavy sigh* 

whatever.

-Jim Hensen

I'd actually love to see an iSwitched to Linux video. I actually switched to Ubuntu and stuck with it for two months over the summer. Simply put, it was an interesting experience.

and the legit-ness of those ebay copies scares me,. xD

If the key doesn't work, ebay will give you your money back.

If windows actives successfully, it's definitely legit.

If his iSwitched to Linux video goes anything like my experience with Ubuntu did a couple of days ago then he'll just reinstall Windows 7 2 hours after the install of Linux...

Seriously, fuck Terminal and everything that requires the use of it...

What were you trying to do that required you to use terminal?

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

I would be interested in this as I have been using Ubuntu Server on a Hyper-V instance for a development LAMP stack. Bought a Gigabyte BRIX yesterday and kitted it out with Ubuntu Desktop (i3 4110U, 8Gb RAM & 64Gb SSD), so far I am very impressed, very easy to setup the way I like it, imho looks nicer than Windows 8.1's flat look. Functionality seems pretty good for someone more custom to Windows...

I think that it would be really cool to see a "Switched to Linux" series, but it would probably end fast.

Desktop: i7 4790K @ 4.6 GHz | Asus Z97-PRO | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB | GTX 560 Ti | Samsung 850 Pro 128GB, WD Blue 1TB | Corsair TX750W  Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad Y510p | i7-4700MQ 2.4G | GT 755M | 8GB RAM | HDD 1TB, SSD 24GB 

I think a "iSwitched to Linux" series would be very interesting. I've been using Linux Mint on my laptop for a year and a half now, and I was surprised when I started to customize it. Like Linus said, the iMac was too expensive to switch to use as a daily driver; on the other hand it is a fantastic OS, but Linux is FREE. Do it Linus, it's awesome.

I vote yes!

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss

I for one actually don't think it would be interesting to see this.

I've used Ubuntu for a bit and was quite unimpressed. There are also too many Linux distros

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

Having an iSwitched to Linux for Linus of all people would be nice to get it into perspective, but if you want to do anything beyond surfing the web, there is a HUGE learning curve to using Linux that most people won't want to bother with.

What were you trying to do that required you to use terminal?

Everything it seemed. I wanted to test read/writes of my SSD because I had some issues with it earlier - all i could find was "SIMPLY USE TERMINAL" on askubuntu. I wanted to get rid of the password popup asking me to enter every time I wanted to do something which required terminal and you couldn't actually save what you had entered and... ugh. GG Linux.

Also, Skype on Linux is awful but that's just Skype being dumb.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I would love to see an iSwitched to Linux, coming from a guy that is experienced in Linux I would like to see what Linus thinks of it.

Main PC: CPU: i7-4770k RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Blu SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB HDD: 1TB WD Blue GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 2GB PSU: Corsair CX600M Case: Bitfenix Shinobi OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Laptop: ASUS N56VJ

Hardware compatibility is technically better on Linux due to the fact, nearly all drivers are written into the kernel, instead of being an extension, meaning majority of the time you never have to install drivers, excluding the closed-source graphics drivers, because the open-source ones built into the Linux kernel absolutely suck for performance.

an example would be on my laptop when installing Windows 8.1 I had to install the fn key drivers, touchpad drivers (for gesture), and the gpu drivers,

Where as in Ubuntu 14.10 I only had to install gpu drivers. Touchpad and fn keys worked out of the box

Main PC: CPU: i7-4770k RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Blu SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB HDD: 1TB WD Blue GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 2GB PSU: Corsair CX600M Case: Bitfenix Shinobi OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Laptop: ASUS N56VJ

@LinusTech you need to do this id say use linux mint. -EDIT- thats what i use day to day.

Brony for LIFE!!!

/)^3^(\ RD FTW
Daily carry: HTC one M8, pebbe steel PBD, nexus 7 2013

Hello! I would like to request a video series similar to the currently ongoing "iSwitched" series, but using some form of Linux (ie. Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Elementary OS, CentOS (Personally, I recommend either Ubuntu or Linux Mint)). This (probably) won't even cost anything for a new computer because it is very easy to dual boot Linux with Windows on an existing computer.

I apologies if this is in the wrong section, I couldn't really find any that fit this post.

sound good 2 me

• 2 weeks later...