OS X Software Experience - iSwitched to Mac Part 3

I really really really wish Linus would Cover running Windows with Apple's bootcamp.

Perhaps even do a comparison between a PC with similar hardware specs VS iMac running Windows in gaming performance?

I have been a mac user for 10 years now, and I game on Windows using the bootcamp dual boot feature.

I also feel this is a strong point of MACs- windows machines don't easily let you run OS X, but OS X supports Windows natively.

Please consider doing some features related to bootcamp?

Also- one more point about OS X, text and window zooming feature is virtually flawless- especially compared to Windows, IMHO.

Thanks, LMG rocks 

No idea what I could say about bootcamp. It's just a pretty PC at that point. There is no voodoo magic that makes a mac with specs XYZ perform any differently from a PC with specs XYZ.

You can install fonts on windows by right clicking the font file and pressing 'Install' on windows.
Or enter the font file and press 'Install' on the top. No need to drag and drop as you said in your video.

Kinda disappointed. The way Linus did everything was very different from mine. The disadvantages pointed were mostly easy to fix.

- I never used spotlight to launch applications. I always use Alfred to launch apps, and keep my dock organized.

- I always use the Finder with the Column view to browse through files. These are the view options and this is how it looks like. It was not system-wide in my experience. I just had to set again in different folder and it stays like that; i.e. my Screenshots folder are in gallery view, the normal is in column view, sorted by name, arranged by kind, and my downloads folder are sorted by the created date, in column view.

- I rarely resize my window sizes manually. I use third party applications for that. While they are usually not free, free versions of this type of applications do exist!

My Mac is heavily personalized for my own usage at this point, but that's what makes me comfortable on using it.

In Windows, it's a lot harder, if not impossible to personalize the system to the same extent. The customization potential is far greater in OSX.

There are reasons why Hackintosh exist, and I believe this is one of it.

I'll leave my useful apps list post here again. #

Awesome but still don't like Apple maybe if they make upgrades more open then I can think about it.

The only thing I really like is material and design.

I like to see 4k on LTT :3 keep goin'!

Spoiler

-CPU: Intel i7-6700k (4.4GHz) -RAM: 32GB DDR4 (2400MHz) -GPU: Nvidia GTX 980M (1206MHz Core, 2525 MHz Memory) 
-SSD1: Samsung 840 EVO 1TB SATA  -PSU: 230W  
| XMG U506 (Clevo P751DM-G)

Another thing: There is more than 2 icon sizes, you just need to switch to the grid view to use them

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

Switching from Mac OSX to Windows for me had similar complaints, Finder vs. Explorer, different hot keys, the lack of familiar UI elements like expose, and the differences in syntax between Terminal and command prompt. But I guess that's part of any OS switch and for me I still enjoy using MacOSX and I will probably build a hackintosh in the near future just to get the macosx experience back (unless Linux gets more marketshare and more applications). Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I do have a few questions, if Linus is indeed reading this, did you notice Macosx's memory compression? If so did it have a noticeable affect on the daily usage experience? You could also switch between spaces via hot keys, would you ditch the magic mouse if this was used instead? Also what would convince you to switch away from Windows to another (not necessarily macosx) OS?

Cheers - Hykloria

Having switcher from Windows to OS X last year I found some similarities with Linus' experience. Particularly I didn't find OS X to be so easy to use as people say it is, maybe because I've always used Windows, but the first thing I learned is that it's an O.S. much more based on keyboard shortcuts in my opinion compared to Windows. For example, control+arrow up brings up mission control and control+arrow down brings up what I call "exposè for 1 application" which I think is what Linus was complaining he couldn't do at minute 7.25.

Having switcher from Windows to OS X last year I found some similarities with Linus' experience. Particularly I didn't find OS X to be so easy to use as people say it is, maybe because I've always used Windows, but the first thing I learned is that it's an O.S. much more based on keyboard shortcuts in my opinion compared to Windows. For example, control+arrow up brings up mission control and control+arrow down brings up what I call "exposè for 1 application" which I think is what Linus was complaining he couldn't do at minute 7.25.

There are dedicated buttons on almost any Mac-layout keyboard for Mission control and other stuff.

And if you want to use a windows key you can easily remap your keyboard to get back the functionalty of a 'real' mac keyboard.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

I thought about adding my thoughts on some points that linus didnt get about OS X. He said that he disliked the filesystem because everything was in the same folder, well welcome to unix. Once you get used to it it becomes much better than windows drive based system. Especially helps to keep user junk to user places and prevents users flooding the system directories. Also I suspect that Linus does not use terminal on wiondows, OS X has decently good terminal and if you use something like iterm2 it becomes even better. 

GO UNIX MASTERRACE xD

some wrong info about the finder. and usability.

sort by is not system wide. when i say sort by name in one folder and sort by date in another they stay sorted that way separately. it also keeps the same view (icons, list, column) and the exact place you were scrolled to. and if that wasnt enough in addition to sort there is also arrange which will make separate lists which can then be sorted (ie if you have it sorted by name and arranged by kind you will have groups of each file type arranged by name) and that saves for each directory also.

internal storage does NOT all just get piled together. there is a root for each drive individually (go menu->computer) except if you're using the fusion drive (which it explains when you chose which drive you buy, is a hdd mated to an sdd with software that automatically keeps the data that would most benefit from speed on the ssd) this can also be disabled after the fact (with a few quirks i admit).

have never ever needed to refresh a folder on my mac to make a file appear. like ever. its always instant. donno what bug you stumbled into here but it is definitely not the norm.

iphoto is not required to manage photos. you can get the same windows picture management experience if you change the default over to image capture rather than iphoto.

and just as a general answer to some of the "questions" (probably rhetorical but w/e) a lot of the default settings (reversed scroll, non repeating keys, particular gestures for things, lots of "automatic-ness", etc) are there because a shockingly large percentage of mac users are people whos first apple product is an ipad or iphone and those settings are the same on ios. it makes it much less disorienting for a new user if they already know how their iphone works.

Mac Pro 2013, 3.5GHz 6-core xeon E5, 32GB 1866 ddr3 ECC, 2x AMD Firepro d700 6GB, 512GB PCIe SSD, 3x Dell u2412m 24", Audio-technica ad-700 with Astro mixamp, Logitech g19s, Steelseries Sensei Wireless, Saitek x-55.

I just realized I do nearly every basic thing through keyboard.

I've found my OS X experience to be a load less difficult than Linus'. Having only recently switched to Mac, I've quickly learnt all the things I need to do in finder, like making it so I have a root directory, and also finding the shortcut so I can find the Mac equivalent of program files, which is Application Support. Keyboard Shortcuts weren't hard to master, F13, F14 and F15 replace PrtScr, Scroll Lock and Pause/Break. However, some things are really stupid like # being Alt + 3, yet there is a whole load other characters you'd either have to copy and paste or go into character map in Windows to get in mac using the Alt Modifier.

Something that really bugs me though is that scrolling is the other way round. You scroll up to go down, like on an iDevice.

Scrolling is fine other than that, I use a 3rd Party crappy mouse and it works just fine, like it would on Windows. 

So the next logical thing is to do another set of videos that focuses on Ubuntu and the hardware foibles and recommendations for that system.

The next logical thing is to do another video to correct thew rong information he gave in this one.

There are dedicated buttons on almost any Mac-layout keyboard for Mission control and other stuff.

And if you want to use a windows key you can easily remap your keyboard to get back the functionalty of a 'real' mac keyboard.

Looking at my macbook keyboard and there isn't a button for showing all the windows from an app, but there is for mission control but i find the trackpad shortcut much better.

Another things, shortcut with command+something are so much ergonomic than ctrl+something on windows, whenever i need to copy something on windows i get mad.

Also in my opinion he should have used a magic trackpad...

Scrolling is fine other than that, I use a 3rd Party crappy mouse and it works just fine, like it would on Windows. 

one click in settings and you can have back your 'normal' scrolling

Something that really bugs me though is that scrolling is the other way round. You scroll up to go down, like on an iDevice.

amfxtt.png

I think the last point Linus made in the video was the main bit. I have never really used OSX but I love Linux and would use it all the time (and did for quite a few years) but these days I find that most of the time I'm in a web browser. Also most of the stuff that isn't in a browser does have pretty good options across the board (OpenOffice for example). So there's little actual advantage. And yes I wish Windows wasn't a POS sometimes and I wish it had a terminal that was as powerful and some of the little things mentioned like automatic updates that aren't a pain. But when push comes to shove? It doesn't matter, because I boot the machine and open Chrome....

.... well until I want to play some games. Because while there are a lot more games that are cross platforms most games that aren't indies are still windows only. OSX is better than Linux but still, why would you? Ultimately this is why I have windows on my main machine. I have Linux on a little old netbook but I see no reason to install it on my main machine.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

yes the "show all windows" is also available from the dock if you press and hold on the app, and theres a "show all tabs" in safari also.

Mac Pro 2013, 3.5GHz 6-core xeon E5, 32GB 1866 ddr3 ECC, 2x AMD Firepro d700 6GB, 512GB PCIe SSD, 3x Dell u2412m 24", Audio-technica ad-700 with Astro mixamp, Logitech g19s, Steelseries Sensei Wireless, Saitek x-55.

Reading some of the comments there on YouTube for this video, man there are some immature people on there.

Cpu: Intel i5 4690k @3.5 Ghz*cooled by Corsair Hydro H105* | Case: NZXT H440 Black/Green | Motherbord: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK Black Edition Ram: Avexir Venom 16GB
Video Card: Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX980 4GB | Power Supply: Corsair TX850 | SSD: Samsung 500GB 850 Pro SSD: Samsung 500GB 840 Pro 
Monitor: ASUS 27" ROG Swift G-Sync 144mhz | Keyboard: Logitech G710+  | Mouse: Logitech G700s| Headset: Logitech G35 | Speakers: Logitech X530 5.1
NAS Set-up: Netgear ReadyNAS 104 "populated by 4 x 2TB Western Digital Red in RAID 6"

Linus, I think most of your problems are (especially finder) are due to you not being use to the OS. OS X isn't perfect, but thing like finder have cool ways to sort things. For example, try changing your finder view to the one that looks like a book with 3 columns, and then navigate through folders. Your back problems will be fixed. You can also go "up" in folders by right clicking the folder name in the middle of the top bar. Some of your shortcut problems also had to do with you not having an apple keyboard, which shouldn't be a problem, but in my opinion that's both the developers/apples fault because Apple should have made it more compatible and devs should have made their products work with it. Like I know Razer use to have mac compatible keyboards) Anyways like I said, OS X isn't perfect, and your opinion is your opinion, but I think if you got use to it you would enjoy it more. And some might say that a month is enough to lear an OS, but there are always things you dont know about it that might help whether it is with OS X or Windows or any other operating system.

... and Powershell are trash...

youre not serious, are you?

edit: not gonna flood the thread with more posts about it

powershell object approach is great, im sick of parsing stuff in unix shell

MSI GX660 + i7 920XM @ 2.8GHz + GTX 970M + Samsung SSD 830 256GB

http://youtu.be/TReJmvn5nKY?t=6m30s

The up directory button isn't missing in windows. 

68f5e029b5.png

^hereish^

It was nice to get another windows users opinion on a potential switch to MAC, still not happening.

Yeah this one, when did it go missing you lair when tell me just tell me ? @LinusTech

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Oh Linus...tryin' to change the way a mac works... Anyways, some point I'd like to make:

- Double-tapping the Magic Mouse for Mission Control is NOT taken from the trackpad...on a trackpad it's four finger swipe up...

- I TOTALLY agree on the iWork conclusion...Numbers is a lame joke, Pages is awesome and keynote is awesome too, but you haven't used it...

- Not being able to 'distinguish' between internal storage is BS, you just never learned how to use Finder :D

- I agree that Finder is worse than Windows Explorer, but I honestly just got used to it and it's not "shit" like you said...

- the keyboard shortcuts are very easy to use and make sense once you get used to them... MAC USERS DON'T BOTHER WITH RIGHT-CLICK COPY EVER...<---at least from my experience

- you used your mechanical keyboard with the Mac...that makes everything ten times more confusing, as you don't have the function keys set to media/volume/brightness keys by default...admittedly, the management of third-party keyboards and mice IS terribad...

- the magic mouse is for sure interesting... I like it, but I get that others don't...Case in point: Using a normal mouse with OSX is really meh...

- it's weird that you can actually notice the lagginess of animations on that 5K display driven by an R9 290M, I tried this thing out in a store and there were ZERO glitches...not saying it isn't true, you've spent much more time with it than I have...

Overall, a great review with lots of good points, so thumbs up for VERY high quality content!

PS: Can I haz the mac since you're done with it? PLEASE!!!

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz