OS X Software Experience - iSwitched to Mac Part 3

Yay! Thanks Nick! I dislike mac's myself, but when Linus talk's about them, i'm interested! 

360p master race

Edited by melias24

Main PC: Core i5 4670 | MSI Mpower Max z87 | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb | Stock intel cooler | PNY GTX 770 2gb (hoping to upgrade) | Seagate 1tb 7200rpm | Corsair RM850 | Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PCCG custom sleeved black/yellow extensions | Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue | Corsair M45 |

Phone: LG Nexus 5 | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-PDG1, Shure SRH440 | Laptop: Asus 303la (i5 model, 1600x900 res) | Motorbikes: 2004 Sherco 290i, 2013 Husqvarna CR125 | Xbox one

hi Nick. Up directory is great on linux :3

"Instinct or Rationality; Which will you choose? Enchanted by a superiority complex"

"what you do in spite of internet speed is inspiring. :3" From Cae - 2015

I really like the idea behind this series but I think that he should also do something like a I switched to hachintosh so that he could have all the things he likes about windows and osx in the same thing. At least that is what I did and love but everyone has their own opoinion. I am also interested in what you guys think about my idea or if you think Ive just gone mad

Hi there. Move along, n0thing to see here.

http://youtu.be/TReJmvn5nKY?t=6m30s

The up directory button isn't missing in windows. 
68f5e029b5.png
                ^hereish^

It was nice to get another windows users opinion on a potential switch to MAC, still not happening.

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

Great video. One point though. OS X (in my experience) is meant to be used with a touchpad and I think Linus should have sprung for the Magicpad (or whatever the f*** it's called) and see how he liked it.

I personally would never use a Mac as my desktop/work machine. However I do have a Macbook Pro Retina 15" which continues to serve me well. I would be interested to see Linus' take on the laptop experience of OS X and Mac's in general. I thinks he'd enjoy it more on a laptop due to macbooks generally being (IMO) a better all rounder than other laptops. Macbooks still have the best trackpad I have ever used in terms of feel and usability and the screen on the retina model is absolutely gorgeous and was one of the first hi-res displays on a laptop. the superior wifi card (dual band mimo 3x3) and battery life (~12hrs on the Air) would certainly help as well.

Top Stig

It's a party in the GTA

Yay! Thanks Nick! I dislike mac's myself, but when Linus talk's about them, i'm interested! 

360p master race

Linus can make talking about hair in you food sound interesting. 

Main PC: 4690k, LMG Edition G1 Gaming GTX 980, 16GB Hyper X Fury, Asus Z97-A, EVGA G2 850W, Crucial MX100 128GB, WD Red 1TB 2.5", Dark Rock 3

Laptop: Asus UX305 Monitor: Asus PB278Q Keyboard: Filco Majestouch 2 TKL Mouse: Corsair M65

They look pretty and are built well, but every time I use one I pull my hair out because some things about OSX just don't make sense to me. ESPECIALLY when it comes to troubleshooting the damn things. Great review, though I would have liked to hear more pros and cons in the video. So you think you could maybe write an article going over the things you didn't cover due to time restrictions? @Linustech

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

As having used a Mac for a solid year before, I do not like them and I will not like them. People say "oh they're good for video and audio editing." What a load of crap, no they are not. I've never had premiere and after effects crash on my Windows computer but almost every day I had some problem on the Mac. Render fails, hardware giving fits, OS crashing out of the blue, losing work, etc. And it wasn't my computer alone. They are not intuitive to use, they are designed for simple minded people that are not power users who need their system locked down so they can't break it. Yes Pages is better than Word but I can suffer with Word if that means a better computing experience the rest of the time.

:)

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

The only MAC I ever liked ....

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

You can install fonts by double clicking the font file on windows. well, there's an install button after but you don't need to drag it into the fonts folder like linus said.

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

there are a few wrong info on this vid

first win 8.1 has up button in file explorer win 7 doesn't 

second you can right click install any font you like you don't have to drag to fonts folder

@Linus

the video is waaaaay too bright 

ive noticed this happen from time to time on some of your vids

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

You know what, as a Mac user I actually agree with most of what Linus is saying, except for the thing at the end about the GPU, the lag isn't a GPU issue, it's a horrible coding issue, OSX Yosemite lags like that regardless of what system you run it on.

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

Personally, I am torn between Windows, Linux, and OSX. They all do incredibly frustrating things that simply don't make any sense to me. Pretty much everything Linus laid out in the video sums up my problems with their operating system (besides the numerous issues I have had with updating older Macs to newer iterations of OSX). On the other hand, Windows and Linux do some pretty asinine things too. Windows has a lot of weird usability issues for me including, but not limited to: command and scripting system (seriously, CMD and Powershell are trash), updates, Metro Modern UI, and TONS of strange bugs that I run into quite often. Linux, on the other hand seems just breaks too often for me to use. Also, the lack of Creative Cloud has pushed me away from it.

I think this video helped me figure out the reasons why there is no operating system that is a really good match for me right now. I guess I'll have to keep trying out each one, and maybe one day I will run into an operating system that works for me.

Spoiler

Main rig specs: i5-6500 (3.2 GHz), Cryorig H5 Universal, EVGA GTX 970 FTW+, 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 (2133MHz), Asus Z170i Pro Gaming, Samsung 950 PRO 256GB, Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX, LG 3440x1440 Ultrawide.

Watching this video I'm feeling like...

...am I the only one who likes Metro? Even with M/K

post-82546-0-96864400-1420361489_thumb.p

Hmm, like 3 files above what you have circled, Techquickie - Net neutrality :D

Bad folder management is a problem people have with organizing, not really a Mac problem, although I indeed would expect Apple (with their target audience) to come up with at least something to combat that.

Things lagging isn't acceptable, so they better fix that.

And about the programs piling up (like when you have 6 different word docs open) is bad yeah, but the windows solution isn't perfect either (the live tile preview of all docs).

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

Wow, that was unexpectedly balanced - I had to work with mountain lion for a while and it drove me absolutely friggin MAD! First that mouse acceleration, then the clunky window management which made made every window change a chore and the horrible finder (as Linus mentioned). Furthermore I was only allowed to work with a user account at first instead of an admin account and even when I got the password it was horribly inconvenient. Most of the time I couldn't install programs from the user account via entering the admin password so I had to switch to the admin account almost every time I wanted to install something!? That is Windows 95 levels of terrible! Overall I just wondered the whole time how people are able to work professionally with MacOS at all (I mostly worked with Photoshop), especially with the mouse acceleration (which I could deactivate with a free tool at every system start but still), the finicky window management and the horrible finder which made organizing my work an absolute chore!

CPU: AMD R5 5600x | Mainboard: MSI MAG B550m Mortar Wifi | RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Rev E | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Case: Xigmatek Aquila | PSU: Corsair RM650i | SSDs: Crucial BX300 120GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Crucial m500 120GB | HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB | CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | Casefans: Bitfenix Spectre LED red 200mm (Intake), Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140mm (Exhaust) | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

What is the stand the iMac is sitting on? I swear I have seen it in a previous video but I cant seem to find it, really interested in getting one.

As both a Windows and OSX user, there are so many things about both that I just want to slap together. OSX's nice integration of social media apps, clean looking UI, and the dock while also having Windows' explorer, window snapping (I hate resizing windows in OSX), and this is not really OSX's fault but to be able to download and install drivers for pretty much anything.

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K @3.5GHz  -  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980  -  RAM: 16GB Corsair Dominator

Storage: 120GB OCZ Vertex 4, 1TB Western Digital Black, 2TB Wetsern Digital Green

PSU: Corsair Gold AX 850W  -  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 (2 SP in push)  -  Case: Coolermaster Storm Trooper

I really really really wish Linus would Cover running Windows with Apple's bootcamp.

Perhaps even do a comparison between a PC with similar hardware specs VS iMac running Windows in gaming performance?

I have been a mac user for 10 years now, and I game on Windows using the bootcamp dual boot feature.

I also feel this is a strong point of MACs- windows machines don't easily let you run OS X, but OS X supports Windows natively.

Please consider doing some features related to bootcamp?

Also- one more point about OS X, text and window zooming feature is virtually flawless- especially compared to Windows, IMHO.

Thanks, LMG rocks