"Ghetto" solution to case vibrations from HDD

NeatSquidYT make sure you choose a right material. Regular wrists rubbers cant stand the heat for long.

The drives are probably not being cooled properly if they're too warm for some rubber wristbands.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't mean melting. Many types can't stand heat on the long term.

Have you ever found a rubber in an old box which was sticky or easy to break? Or maybe a sock which wasn't elastic anymore?

Rubbers like those can reach that state in months if they are exposed to 30-40 °C constantly.

Here we have specific requirements in a specific environment.

For holding a hard drive properly:

(1) the service temperature should be high enough (note that charts like this do not show the wear-off time i'm talking about)

(2) Hardness (Shore A) value should be below 70-80 to reduce the resonating frequencies

(3) its density, thickness should be enough to dampen effectively

(4) and some resistance to isopropyl alcohol which you might use for cleaning

IMO the following answers have the same value:

- What should I buy as a solution to case vibrations from HDD?

- A rubber.

- I want to play computer games, what should i buy?

- A PC.

The most common, cheapest ones which can do the job are Silicone and EPDM rubbers, even Mario had these in his pocket while he was rescuing Princess Peach.1

(1) this means you can buy them in a plumber store