"Ghetto" solution to case vibrations from HDD

A have a screw less mounting system for my hard drives.

its a plastic rail/tray doohickey

on my budget case there is no screw mounting hole,

this causes vibrations on my case, loud vibrations

easy fix.

some people use elastic to hang their hdd, i aint got time foe dat.

grab some thing to absorb the vibration form the case and the hdd's.

i had a thick wrist rubber band, im not sure what their called.

i noticed if i squeeze the things that you use to pull out the HDD, there were no more vibrations.

and i decided to shove it in the sides f the rail tray thingy.

viola, less vibrations

yes, i know i have bad wiring and my case is dusty  :wacko: , sorry !

post-52190-0-71791600-1420318559_thumb.j

post-52190-0-87332200-1420318565_thumb.j

Well, that is certainly a way to prevent vibration :P

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

holy shiiieeeetttt is that a deep cool tesseract case i see?

because that's what i have and i also have vibrations of hdd lol

cpu:i7-4770k    gpu: msi reference r9 290x  liquid cooled with h55 and hg10 a1     motherboard:z97x gaming 5   ram:gskill sniper 8 gb

haha good idea

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

Pretty ghetto xD

My solution to HDD vibrations is SSD storage instead :D

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

holy shiiieeeetttt is that a deep cool tesseract case i see?

because that's what i have and i also have vibrations of hdd lol

yeah, its a deepcool tesseract  sw

yeah, its a deepcool tesseract  sw

yup..same one i have! it's a nice case

cpu:i7-4770k    gpu: msi reference r9 290x  liquid cooled with h55 and hg10 a1     motherboard:z97x gaming 5   ram:gskill sniper 8 gb

I had one of my external HDDs sit on foam

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

All HDDs inside my rig are mounted on foam.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

A have a screw less mounting system for my hard drives.

its a plastic rail/tray doohickey

on my budget case there is no screw mounting hole,

this causes vibrations on my case, loud vibrations

easy fix.

some people use elastic to hang their hdd, i aint got time foe dat.

grab some thing to absorb the vibration form the case and the hdd's.

i had a thick wrist rubber band, im not sure what their called.

i noticed if i squeeze the things that you use to pull out the HDD, there were no more vibrations.

and i decided to shove it in the sides f the rail tray thingy.

viola, less vibrations

yes, i know i have bad wiring and my case is dusty  :wacko: , sorry !

Cool ill try that!  that thing is vibrating my 730t like an old intel stock cooler

the vibrations transfer thru the door and makes an abnoxius (annoying) humming sound

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

All HDDs inside my rig are mounted on foam.

can you show me pls!!

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

i was going to try that, but i was worried of my hdd overheating,i guess not 

i was going to try that, but i was worried of my hdd overheating,i guess not 

It depends on how it's done. It can overheat if the drives are suffocated in foam.

My drives have a fan to help cool them from behind case door.

495a55bdb3ff670ccace742efa1bee98.png

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

It depends on how it's done. It can overheat if the drives are suffocated in foam.

dang , thats a lot of money worth of HDD's  :lol:

can you show me pls!!

post-84472-0-03819100-1407536396_thumb.j

The foam is not actually visible. The HDD's are mounted to those wooden plates, which are glued to a piece of sponge glued to the rest of the case. Works really well.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

I think I'm gonna do this... better than my original idea to suspend the hdd...

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

WoodenMarker is doing it wrong!
If you mount a hard drive in this soft foam without stabilizing them in any way, they just freely "jump around" when the head moves. This can really shorten their lifetime. Putting them like on the picture above is like trusting your data on SpongeBob.
1anas16 solution is a much better one

If you want to be in silence, look for drives that have less vibration, less platter or run at a lower RPM. After that you can search for hard rubber based mounting solutions.

Note: sometimes the noise comes from interference:
- if it is your case, you might be able to solve your problem with applying little pressure on the case (if you are lucky a small sticker can do it)
- or if it is your desk pushing your pc a few cm in any directions

WoodenMarker is doing it wrong!

If you mount a hard drive in this soft foam without stabilizing them in any way, they just freely "jump around" when the head moves. This can really shorten their lifetime. Putting them like on the picture above is like trusting your data on SpongeBob.

1anas16 solution is a much better one

They don't move around. There's foam pressing on the top, bottom, and sides of the hdd's. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I am not talking about that kind of moving around. I am talking about the micro movements, the one that cause the noise and case vibrations, which you can't see, but can feel with your fingers, hear with your ears. Foams have not enough resistance against these.

When the hard drive moves the head, it moves the hdd-case into the other way. (source: Axiomata sive leges motus Lex. III.) This needs to be stabilized, especially with the multi-platter drives you have. Those foams are just not dense enough.

Of course the effect is less and less as the head sizes going smaller, but this time, it is still one of the reasons why external hard disk have less life expectancy > shorter warranty.

To bring an analogy:

You can run quietly on those gummy tracks in the stadions, or you can run quietly on water mattresses. You will get out of balance easier on the latter.

What if, you put the HDD in the sponge? 

Then it would be super absorbent. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I might try this one day, I have a lack of rubber wrist things though.

@DildorTheDecent isn't my post clear enough?

Also you might have problems with the heat if you do that.

NeatSquidYT make sure you choose a right material. Regular wrists rubbers cant stand the heat for long.

@DildorTheDecent isn't my post clear enough?

Also you might have problems with the heat if you do that.

NeatSquidYT make sure you choose a right material. Regular wrists rubbers cant stand the heat for long.

I was joking. Although I can't see why it won't work. Stuff a HDD into foam and you'll be good.

Have a decent fan (one that makes airflow) push some air onto it.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

• 3 weeks later...

Nice, my hard drives love to go berserk from time to time lol.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.