UPDATE - Changes to FAH Client, Core18 and Maxwell

Update on some of the issues many been seeing with Core18 and their NVidia cards. Changes coming today.

Restriction of some GPU projects to pre-maxwell GPUs
January 1, 2015 by Vijay Pande ·

Given some known driver issues with recent NVIDIA maxwell chips and Core18 (  https://www.reddit.com/r/foldingathome/ … l_support/  ), we are temporarily restricting our core18 projects (e.g. 1047*) to use pre-maxwell GPUs. We’ll be making the changes Friday morning. Hopefully this restriction will be a temporary fix, with full maxwell support for FAH in NVIDIA drivers (fixing an OpenCL bug) in the (hopefully near) future.

You can follow this thread in the FCF:

https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=27208

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

FYI - if you have a 970 or 980 (and maybe 750 and 750ti) and are still getting core18 WU's on the GPU try this:

1 - Uninstall once you have finished current WU

2 - Download the latest client. http://folding.stanford.edu/

3 - Re-install this newest version

Hopefully that will help, not sure, but worth a try.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Well, nice to see that someone still doing the F@H news around here.  :)

Finally after all this time, I've finally manage to comeback around to this forum and see what all has change. 

And boy has it changed!  :D  New faces, old one that are still kicking, and even mods that I remember as regular members!

For those that never met me before:

While I'm never been an "active folder" for the LinusTechTips Team (as i fold for another team), I was still someone that was apart of this team that helped with news, tips, tricks, and advice for maximizing F@H performance and started assisting almost the time that this team was created.

Also I've assisted with getting the team into a multi-forums F@H competition, Chimp Challenge. 

As seen here in January 2013, http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/876-foldinghome-install-guide-and-links-linustechtips-team-223518/?p=21982 )

Although the last time i was here was in November 2013. So I'm not much of an expert as i used to be. 

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/73898-fh-news-nov-8-changes-in-core17-update-and-move-to-full-fah/

Anyways..... I was just about to come over and type something up about that since I haven't done one in forever (of course it's been a few days late  :P.  i haven't been paying attention) but you already had that covered.  ^_^

Maybe now I'll stick around for a bit and actually be useful.   :ph34r:

-snip-

LOL - welcome back mate! When you switching teams? ;)

Well, nice to see that someone still doing the F@H news around here.  :)

Finally after all this time, I've finally manage to comeback around to this forum and see what all has change. 

And boy has it changed!  :D  New faces, old one that are still kicking, and even mods that I remember as regular members!

For those that never met me before:

While I'm never been an "active folder" for the LinusTechTips Team (as i fold for another team), I was still someone that was apart of this team that helped with news, tips, tricks, and advice for maximizing F@H performance and started assisting almost the time that this team was created.

Also I've assisted with getting the team into a multi-forums F@H competition, Chimp Challenge. 

As seen here in January 2013, http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/876-foldinghome-install-guide-and-links-linustechtips-team-223518/?p=21982 )

Although the last time i was here was in November 2013. So I'm not much of an expert as i used to be. 

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/73898-fh-news-nov-8-changes-in-core17-update-and-move-to-full-fah/

Anyways..... I was just about to come over and type something up about that since I haven't done one in forever (of course it's been a few days late  :P.  i haven't been paying attention) but you already had that covered.  ^_^

welcome back and o we are almost going to surpass toms hardware :)

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

welcome back and o we are almost going to surpass toms hardware :)

Almost? there is no doubt about it we keep going at this rate.

Holy crap, just look at the monthly output the last 3 month's.

And it's not exactly going down.

• 2 weeks later...

Almost? there is no doubt about it we keep going at this rate.

Holy crap, just look at the monthly output the last 3 month's.

And it's not exactly going down.

Do you know if Maxwell can use core 18 yet?

I don't think I've ever gotten one yet in the like 15 WU i've done on my GPU's :(

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I don't think I've ever gotten one yet in the like 15 WU i've done on my GPU's 

Probably not. I've been monitoring all my WU's recently, as my OC is crashing on Core 17 (core 15 is perfectly fine, though). Been trying to find the max speed I can OC without failing.

Anyway, so far, most units are Core 17 WUs, with a rare instance of Core 15 every once in a while. Fine by me. With Core 18, PPD was around the 60~70k; Core 17 is usually within 200~220k

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

I don't think I've ever gotten one yet in the like 15 WU i've done on my GPU's :(

Well, 15 wu's is abit of a small data-set to start basing assumptions on :P

As far as i am aware This is a problem that has yet to be addressed, i

wouldn't expect an immediate solution. People were seeing, from what

i gather, highly irregular performance and abnormal tpf's. So i wouldn't

be sad not having to deal with that, although hopefully it will cease to be

a problem.

Probably not. I've been monitoring all my WU's recently, as my OC is crashing on Core 17 (core 15 is perfectly fine, though). Been trying to find the max speed I can OC without failing.

Anyway, so far, most units are Core 17 WUs, with a rare instance of Core 15 every once in a while. Fine by me. With Core 18, PPD was around the 60~70k; Core 17 is usually within 200~220k

You are free to choose your own approach, but when it comes to folding.

I personally would much rather have a mild oc i am perfectly confident is

100% stable and wont be failing wu's occasionally. So i wouldn't try to

push the boundaries too much. It kinda defeats the purpose if you waste

time by dumping and wrecking wu's.

Might be a while to see a fix on this as the issue is driver related from NVidia...

Might be a while to see a fix on this as the issue is driver related from NVidia...

Are they supposed to be faster PPD?  

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Are they supposed to be faster PPD?  

Once the driver is fixed should be excellent PPD

• 4 weeks later...

I started folding one/two days ago with my shiny 980. Today I decided to plug my old 660 Ti back into the PC to use it just for folding.

I noticed that it was performing well, very well. Too well.

Then I noticed that 980 was using core17 and 660 Ti the core18 and then I read this topic.

Well, I can say that when core18 will work with 900 series it will be awesome.

Because right now my 660 Ti is folding TWICE faster than my 980 xD

EDIT: There is an issue with GPU names that FAH associate to each slot: it reverse them. I have the card with index 0 (the first in the system) labeled as 660 Ti. However the first card on the mobo is the 980 and FAH is using core17 on that slot, so it has to be 980.

The second slot, card index 1, is labeled as 980 but it using the core18 so it has to be the 660 Ti.

Names are reversed, don't know what may happen with 3 or 4 cards.

EDIT 2: Now all of sudden name labels are correct, (660 Ti label, core18), GPU indexes are reversed but if I pause the 660 Ti slot the work will stop on 980 and viceversa.

FAH GPU slots are a huge mess xD

Yep, this happens a LOT with FAH client and multiple GPU's of different models, esp if you add one in.

Try this, in advanced view, set both to "finish", that way they will finish their current WU. Once done, uninstall fah and select the option to delete WU's. Then, with both cards in, reboot and re-install. This will usually set them up properly.

I did have a system though not matter what, FAH would not label them properly, come hell or high water. But they worked, so I just left a note for myself that card A was really B and vice versa, and things ran along nicely...

Yep, this happens a LOT with FAH client and multiple GPU's of different models, esp if you add one in.

Try this, in advanced view, set both to "finish", that way they will finish their current WU. Once done, uninstall fah and select the option to delete WU's. Then, with both cards in, reboot and re-install. This will usually set them up properly.

I did have a system though not matter what, FAH would not label them properly, come hell or high water. But they worked, so I just left a note for myself that card A was really B and vice versa, and things ran along nicely...

Tried that but still wrong labels. Well, I will just keep using indexes :P

Tried that but still wrong labels. Well, I will just keep using indexes :P

And that's why we should only use BOINC. None of that crap happens there......

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

And that's why we should only use BOINC. None of that crap happens there......

So you dont use Windows very much? :P

BtW. Boinc? ... somekind folding client or what?!?

So you dont use Windows very much?  :P

BtW. Boinc? ... somekind folding client or what?!?

It's similar to folding, only it isn't just for medical research, depending on what project you contribute to. 

There's different projects for different goals, and you can choose what one to contribute to

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

It's similar to folding, only it isn't just for medical research, depending on what project you contribute to. 

There's different projects for different goals, and you can choose what one to contribute to

Pretty much this.

Berkley Open Interface of Network Communications (BOINC) is just a main interface, as the name would imply, for you to connect to different projects. In folding, you are pretty much stuck receiving whatever work they want. But in Boinc, you can actually choose what you work for. There's literally everything. There's the usual medical research, but there's also research for chemical compounds for clean energy, weather prediction, search for prime number, and even search for extra terrestrial life!

It's also a lot clearer to control. I could easily sniff around and find settings to control my PC in whichever way I want, while folding... merh. I have to deal with those slots that don't configure anything, as well as options not showing up anywhere....

What the .... i just had GPU down on folding becorse i didnt get any WU for it and after Boot up. I seam to get 0x18  FOR my GTX980, i see...

post-15101-0-27443100-1425595036_thumb.j

What the .... i just had GPU down on folding becorse i didnt get any WU for it and after Boot up. I seam to get 0x18  FOR my GTX980, i see...

Have you updated to the latest client version?

I got some core18 for my 980 too a few days ago but not sure because I had 2 GPUs installed at that time and maybe the labeling confused me.

Client version is 7.4.4. and havent seen one after that :( 0x15 now are little slow after that ;) and like you may see i only have one GPU on this system.

• 1 month later...

Looks like Maxwell specific WU's to be released soon!