TotalBiscuit Harassed, Sent Death Threats for Retweeting Charity Stream

Scionyde

EDIT: Again, this probably falls into the gray area as to what belongs in this sub-forum, and what doesn't. From what I've seen posted here before (Alanah Pearce's thread) I think there's precedent, but if this needs to be moved to the PC Gaming subforum or somewhere else, I understand.

Happy 2015 everybody!

http://gamesnosh.com/goons-blow-up-at-totalbiscuit/

Yesterday, AbleGamers started a streaming event called the "ScotDrop Charity Marathon". One of the contributers/streamers tweeted "Hi! Again, we’ll be doing a charity stream later today at 6 pm est. Please rt/signal boost, and show up if you can!". TotalBiscuit, who is partnered with the charity as of last month, obliged him. Over the next few hours, TotalBiscuit received insults, death threats, and wishes that his cancer would kill him from over 300 people.

The cause of all this rage? A friend of one of the streamers tries to explain in a Storify post. (He later updated his post to ask that people not harass anybody):

Gators are bad, but in general a lot of gamers(Mostly white male gamers) are Transphobic, Racist, Ableist, Homophobic, etc etc. Bringing a ton of people like that to a charity stream with a small moderation team that was not equipped for it would essentially mean we’d have to lock down the chat, and be unable to interact with viewers and those who donate.

As soon as I saw TB retweeted it I became frightened for my friends, so many of us seemed worried. Right away we knew that Totalbiscuit might have just seriously damaged or even ruined the charity stream with his carelessness. Keep in mind, we are a small group of friends doing a charity stream. We weren’t looking to get a lot of people, especially people like what TB would send our way.

TotalBiscuit's response on TwitLonger:

Today you may see Storifys floating around trying desperately to prove that I maliciously ruined a charity stream (for a charity I am partnered with). These Storifys will not include the initial reaction of the streamer in which he flipped out and insulted me and I doubt they will include many if any of the 300+ people who within the hours following, sent threats of violence, insults and as many wishes as possible that the cancer get me quickly. They will I’m sure include the tweets in response in which I call them crazy and stupid for these threads and their reaction. I stand by those statements 100%. These are people who have constructed a narrative in their heads in which I am a villain. They know very little of me of course, only what they’ve been told. Maybe they read that stupid SA post from 8 years ago, practically a lifetime on the internet and made their assumptions there. Maybe they just believe in the guilty by association fallacy and have ignored the focus on ethics and condemnation of harassment that has been going on for YEARS on my channel.

But yes that great crime and yesterday for promoting a stream for a charity with whom as of last month I have an OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP WITH, I was bombarded with threats and even had an irrelevant ex-NFL player demand that games developers following him seriously reconsider working with our company.

I thoroughly condemn the idea that my followers and viewers are horrible people who would engage in harassment. I accept the obvious, that in such a huge group there will be some assholes and I also accept the reality that I can do nothing about that. I will not apologise for things I did not do or provoke, I will not apologise for defending my audience.

This whole thing leaves me speechless...a streamer asks people to retweet the charity stream, and because TotalBiscuit does so, he's condemned/harassed? Ridiculous.

sarkeesian effect

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Well I can understand that such a huge group of viewers would complicate the chat thing, but if they felt like that was the case then they just should have told TB and then he could have removed the tweet (if that is possible on twitter). Sending death threats and such really isn't the right course of action at all.

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Sorry, but that's bullshit. To even drag petty politics for charity is disgusting. As someone who has followed this from the very beginning and monitoring both sides, many people who follow me on Twitter that are pro GamerGate are not white cis male gamers who are racist and phobic of any sort. Several are trans, female, non white or if they happen to be a white male, are gay or simply don't care about what someone is into. This preconceived notion is very common and that projection is why this level of stupid is still a rampant issue. In short, this is no different than claiming all gamers are 400lbs caked in Doritos crumbs. Except instead of being lighthearted, it's treated as serious for the sake of fueling an idiotic e-war.

Tumblr effect

Ftfy

Oh wow, retards follow totalbuiscuit, who'd have known!!

This happens on a daily basis on most big streams, the problem here is that 300 retards are more important than the rest of the viewers? Just ban them from the chat, and move on, what's the big deal? I think that the people from the charity are even more retarded than the ones threatening.

This is a clear lack of experience in twitch and basically, the internet, from the people in charge of this. If they are not ready for massive amounts of people coming in and behaving like cave mans, then gtfo, don't blame a popular guy because of your lack of experience moderating.

Oh yeah, lets blame our lack of experience/moderators on a guy that thought "oh i have a lot of followers, i might just help and retweet since a lot of people will go there". Might aswell just clarify "come join us on the charity stream, but don't retweet this if you're popular!"

Rig: I5-3570K@4.3Ghz - Cooler Thermaltake Frio Advanced - Ram Kingston 1333Mhz 8gb (2x4) - GPU GTX 970 4GD5T OC - Motherboard Z77MA-G45 - PSU CoolerMaster GX II 750w - Storage WD 500gb HDD - Sound Edifier M3700 5.1 - Headset Corsair Vengeance 1500 - Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 - Keyboard Razer Anansi - Mousepad Steelseries QcK+ - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller x2

This happens on a daily basis on most big streams, the problem here is that 300 retards are more important than the rest of the viewers? Just ban them from the chat, and move on, what's the big deal? I think that the people from the charity are even more retarded than the ones threatening.

This is a clear lack of experience in twitch and basically, the internet, from the people in charge of this. If they are not ready for massive amounts of people coming in and behaving like cave mans, then gtfo, don't blame a popular guy because of your lack of experience moderating.

Oh yeah, lets blame our lack of experience/moderators on a guy that thought "oh i have a lot of followers, i might just help and retweet since a lot of people will go there". Might aswell just clarify "come join us on the charity stream, but don't retweet this if you're popular!"

Read the story again, come back when you have done so.

edit: nevermind, it might take a while. The 300 number is relevant to the number of threats on TB from others, not the trolls or harassment in the charity stream

edit 2: not trying to sound snarky, just making sure you read and comprehend before you take the situation the wrong way

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

Wrong.

More like idiots would rather shit all over a charity because TB supports something they have preconceived notions on instead of focusing on the charity itself and being grateful someone popular is spreading a positive message. It'd be akin to a non Christian donating to a cause started by a Christian and being told to burn in hell because of their beliefs being different.

The problem is not the idiots that go and shit all over a charity and TB, the problem is TB and the charity members giving a fuck about, and making important a little group of idiots, that's what i'm trying to say.

Rig: I5-3570K@4.3Ghz - Cooler Thermaltake Frio Advanced - Ram Kingston 1333Mhz 8gb (2x4) - GPU GTX 970 4GD5T OC - Motherboard Z77MA-G45 - PSU CoolerMaster GX II 750w - Storage WD 500gb HDD - Sound Edifier M3700 5.1 - Headset Corsair Vengeance 1500 - Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 - Keyboard Razer Anansi - Mousepad Steelseries QcK+ - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller x2

Wow, people getting butt-hurt on the internet, who knew?

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

Well I can understand that such a huge group of viewers would complicate the chat thing, but if they felt like that was the case then they just should have told TB and then he could have removed the tweet (if that is possible on twitter). Sending death threats and such really isn't the right course of action at all.

That may be true, but surely a streaming event would want as many viewers to get as many donations as possible? Also, would a guy who has ~400k Twitter followers really send so many people that a 6-man moderator team couldn't handle it? (Not that I know anything about Twitch stream moderation, admittedly)

Judging by the person's Storify post, and the type of insults TB has received over Twitter, I don't think they believed the number was a problem, but rather that many of TB's Twitter followers are racist/homophobic/etc.

Well, I think a relevant part of the story is that the people associated with the stream have been condemning TB's retweet, in addition to threats/insults from anonymous assholes. (But I will emphasize, none of these streamers have advocated harassment against him)

Also, I think you're under the misconception that the harassment TB has received is from his own followers who simply dislike the AbleGamers charity. Hell, maybe a few of them are. Still, given the nature of the insults TB received calling him a terrorist or misogynist, I don't think these are people who follow TB regularly. And given TB's response, I think it's safe to say that most of these people were misguided, fanatical anonymous supporters of the charity who didn't want TB to have anything to do with it. 

AbleGamers: Oh we are only holding this charity event among a small group of friends. Please rt/signal boost...

TB: Ok I'll do just that...

AbleGamers: Wtf TB why did you rt?

TB: I was encouraged to do so...

AbleGamers: Here TB, get flamed by our small group of 300+ friends

That's how i see it

Well, I think a relevant part of the story is that the people associated with the stream have been condemning TB's retweet, in addition to threats/insults from anonymous assholes. (But I will emphasize, none of these streamers have directly advocated harassment against him)

Also, I think you're under the misconception that the harassment TB has received is from his own followers who simply dislike the AbleGamers charity. Hell, maybe a few of them are. Still, given the nature of the insults TB received calling him a terrorist or misogynist, I don't think these are people who follow TB regularly. And given TB's response, I think it's safe to say that most of these people were misguided, fanatical supporters of the charity who didn't want TB to have anything to do with it. 

What kind of charity is that? They don't want a lot of people? They REJECT support from people? WTF is wrong with this charity then?

This is literally the stupidest thing I have ever heard

A stream for charity, total biscuit helps raise awareness and is now the enemy? what the actual balls! and then people telling him to die from cancer.....

Was the stream for a cancer research charity? that would have been fantastic  (and by fantastic I mean literally the stupidest fucking thing ever)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Fuck that charity then.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Still, given the nature of the insults TB received calling him a terrorist or misogynist, I don't think these are people who follow TB regularly. And given TB's response, I think it's safe to say that most of these people were misguided, fanatical anonymous supporters of the charity who didn't want TB to have anything to do with it. 

Anyone who has watched any few episodes of the co-optional podcast would understand TB's position on such matters. How undeniably wrong they are (assuming they are not trolls). And these dumb people can be ignored, but what is really annoying is "Gators are bad, but in general a lot of gamers(Mostly white male gamers) are Transphobic, Racist, Ableist, Homophobic, etc etc."

Gotta wonder what BS people consume these days.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

Now where are all the articles about him receiving death threats The Verge.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

In support of TB... I am posting this GIF....of TB

85vOdQw.gif

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

WHAT THE FUCK...

I swear ever since the feminazi shit started and Sarkesian bitch came, and GamerGate, whatever someone does becomes an excuse to call him names and send death threats... 

Internet needs a plague.

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

tb was trying to be a nice guy and he got slapped in the face?, good way of burning bridges.

I'm guessing he isn't going to be in that partnership anymore

Its all about those volumetric clouds

It's like the world is trying to make TotalBiscuit a saint by throwing bullshit at him so that he can dodge it in a classy way.

He is pretty much my most trusted reviewer. I don't always agree with his opinions but I trust his opinions are his opinions.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

It's like the world is trying to make TotalBiscuit a saint by throwing bullshit at him so that he can dodge it in a classy way.

He is pretty much my most trusted reviewer. I don't always agree with his opinions but I trust his opinions are his opinions.

I agree, in fact most of the time I have completely different opinions to him, but I do trust that what he says is HIS opinion, and his alone

He also entertains me greatly, and I find his knowledge of the industry fantastic too, especially when it comes to news topics

I agree, in fact most of the time I have completely different opinions to him, but I do trust that what he says is HIS opinion, and his alone

He also entertains me greatly, and I find his knowledge of the industry fantastic too, especially when it comes to news topics

Yeah, Totalbiscuit is one of the few reviewers on the internet that isn't afraid to call something that is a pile of shit what it is, and not give a rats arse about who published it.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Yeah, Totalbiscuit is one of the few reviewers on the internet that isn't afraid to call something that is a pile of shit what it is, and not give a rats arse about who published it.

as it should be, I hope I can live up to his standard

as it should be, I hope I can live up to his standard

Same, I remember when he was Doing Blue Please, WoWRadio and all that, he hasn't even changed much since then regarding how he talks about and handles games.

I appreciate that. This entire story shows how shitty people are, for the same of being shitty. Attacking someone for trying to garner some support for a charity of all things...

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q