Fractal Design Define R5 case compatibility issue - pcpartpicker

vt00k

• Hello everyone, I am concerned about the R5 compatibility with the pc parts that I want to order. According to pcpartpicker.com, H105, Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 and Gigabyte x99 gaming are not compatible with r5 case. Could anyone please verify if it's true? I have already placed an order for h105. Thanks

Potential Issues/Incompatibilities

Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler and Fractal Design Define R5 ATX Mid Tower Case are not compatible.

icon_warning_sgl.gifFractal Design Define R5 ATX Mid Tower Case and Gigabyte GA-X99-GAMING G1WIFI EATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard are not compatible.

icon_info_sgl.gifThe Fractal Design Define R5 ATX Mid Tower Case supports video cards up to 440mm long, but video cards over 310mm may block drive bays. Since the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card is 312mm long, some drive bays may not be usable.

The X99 Gaming -G1 is E-ATX as well as the X99 gaming 7.

The X99-Gaming 5, is a ATX motherboard. 

The R5 only supports ATX, Micro ATX and Mini ITX

http://www.gigabyte.com.au/MicroSite/372/images/models.html

H105 is 240mm, R5 can support up to 420mm

Extensive water cooling support for a case of this size; housing radiators up to 420mm in the top and 360mm in the front.

Also, from Fractal website:

Graphics cards up to 310 mm in length with the top HDD cage installed; with the top cage removed, graphics cards up to 440 mm in length may be installed

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

so it means all above mentioned items are compatible with the case?

The X99 Gaming -G1 is E-ATX as well as the X99 gaming 7.

The X99-Gaming 5, is a ATX motherboard. 

The R5 only supports ATX, Micro ATX and Mini ITX

http://www.gigabyte.com.au/MicroSite/372/images/models.html

H105 is 240mm, R5 can support up to 420mm

Also, from Fractal website:

so it means all above mentioned items are compatible with the case?

Depends what motherboard you purchase, the only ATX in the gaming range is the gaming 5.

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

• Hello everyone, I am concerned about the R5 compatibility with the pc parts that I want to order. According to pcpartpicker.com, H105, Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 and Gigabyte x99 gaming are not compatible with r5 case. Could anyone please verify if it's true? I have already placed an order for h105. Thanks
  •  
  •  
  • Potential Issues/Incompatibilities
  • Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler and Fractal Design Define R5 ATX Mid Tower Case are not compatible.
  •  
  • icon_warning_sgl.gifFractal Design Define R5 ATX Mid Tower Case and Gigabyte GA-X99-GAMING G1WIFI EATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard are not compatible.
  •  
  • icon_info_sgl.gifThe Fractal Design Define R5 ATX Mid Tower Case supports video cards up to 440mm long, but video cards over 310mm may block drive bays. Since the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card is 312mm long, some drive bays may not be usable.

The motherboard is indeed not compatible because it has the EATX form factor and the max the R5 supports is ATX.

The H105 is supported. It's 240mm and the R5 can have 240mm rads and larger in both the top and the front.

The GPU is supported, it just might be so long that you need to remove some HDD cages. The top HDD cage has to be removed if your GPU is longer than 310mm.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Even tho the R5 now has a bend on the motherboard backplate for easier cable managment...it still might fit some E-ATX boards. You just have to get the exact lenght/width dimensions from both Fractal and motherboard supplier before purchase.

The E-ATX GI is 259mm wide, where as the ATX Gaming 5 is 244mm wide . Difference is 15 mm

Fractal Design Define R5 White/Window / Intel 4790K / EVGA Z97 FTW / EVGA G2 750W / Sapphire R9 390 Nitro  / Samsung 850 EVO 500GB / Corsair Force Series GT 240GB / Seagate Barracuda 2TB - HGST Ultrastar  4TB / 32GB Kingston HyperX Savage 2600Mhz DDR3 / Cryorig H7 Lumi Edt. /