WetRarity Redux

RainColt

Alright so here is the plan for temperature control. The Asus Sabretooth boards come with temperature probes that you can use to configure your fan curves, so what I'm doing is connecting one fan hub to my one of my 4 pin fan powers and have my motherboard control the speeds of the fans on my radiators in accordance to the temperature of the oil which will be monitored by one of these probes with very slim tolerances on min and max temps. allowing the heat of the oil to radiate through the acrylic and keep my fishies warm and not cooked

Why do you always die right after I fix you?

Wow really cool, i want to do something like this.

Putting in the fish soon?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Wow really cool, i want to do something like this.

Putting in the fish soon?

I've decided to redo the back plate, it's got a little to much flex for me to be comfortable with so I'm going to up it from .5cm to 1cm thick acrylic and then I'll be satisfied that this thing will hold together, but aside from that yeah, it's ready for fish.

Can fish live in mineral oil? :S

afaik they're going in a separate tank full of water

This is sooooooo bad ass. Excited for the finished product.

"The unexamined life is not worth living" - Apology 38a, Socrates

Can fish live in mineral oil? :S

This.

Not sure if you're still planning on putting fish in there, but,

a. unless you have a fish tank in a fish tank or something for the fish (because they can't live in the oil), this doesn't seem possible.

b. even if you were to put the computer a fish tank and fill the computer with oil and the fish tank with water, it probably wouldn't work, either.  Even though the oil shouldn't get very hot, the fish are very sensitive to temperature changes, and having a computer within a fish tank could kill them.

Processor Intel Core i5-4690K CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 RAM 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD WD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD Graphics Card EVGA GeForce GTX 970 Case NZXT Phantom (Black) PSU Corsair CX600M Operating System Windows 10 Monitor BenQ GL2760H Headset Skullcandy PLYR 1 & Sennheiser Momentum

a. unless you have a fish tank in a fish tank or something for the fish (because they can't live in the oil), this doesn't seem possible.

b. even if you were to put the computer a fish tank and fill the computer with oil and the fish tank with water, it probably wouldn't work, either.  Even though the oil shouldn't get very hot, the fish are very sensitive to temperature changes, and having a computer within a fish tank could kill them.

It's a tank inside a tank.

Green With Envy

A build based on a children's cartoon

Yes, it's a partitioned tank, I know it sounds crazy but its really not. (Edit: This.)

The fish I will have in the aquarium need temperatures of 75-80F (24-27C) and I recognize that the oil will heat up and radiate heat into the water (which will negate the need for a dedicated heater) but will have to be maintained at that temperature through some sort of temperature sensor and fan controller, something like the temperature sensing probes included with Sabretooth boards and Bios programmable fan curves which I will simply set the min and max thresholds to 24-27C which will be controlling the fans on my radiators ramping them up to keep the oil safe for the fish.