Origin Accounts Hacked, Purchases Charged

dan4real

On December 26th I received an email from Origin confirming my purchase of FIFA 15. This despite not having even logged in since last week. My credit card was charged for this purchase. It seems I am not alone as many Origin accounts have been breached within the last few days and many fraudulent purchases have made using hacked accounts:

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Origin/My-Origin-Account-was-Hacked-and-purchased-FIFA15/td-p/4078093

I have since been able to change my Origin password and have also changed my email password in an attempt to secure my account, however many are having trouble removing their credit card info from their Origin Accounts. I've started a support ticket on help.ea.com and I'm waiting to be contacted by phone, however it says on the website that since December 26th. "Support wait-times currently higher than normal". Obviously I'd like the charges to be immediately reversed and to know that my account and information is secure.

Wondering if anyone else here has experienced this and just how deep it goes, as this seems to be a major security breach.

Phone up your bank and tell them about fraudulent charges made and ask them to withhold anymore from that source until you say so.

The chances are it was not a security breach but a bot that attempts to brute force passwords so I suggest using a more complex password with capitals/symbols.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Welcome to the forums, and thanks for the heads up!

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

This happened to me. I got a full refund from Origin and my bank account didn't even charge me for going overdrawn. 

HOWEVER, because of these hackers and them buying FIFA 15, the FIFA account is still around and unfortunately, EA have banned my account because apparently I have the FIFA account through a cracked version of the game. Now EA refuse to answer all my emails. 

No longer able to play BF3 and BF4, so uninstalled them. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

On December 26th I received an email from Origin confirming my purchase of FIFA 15. This despite not having even logged in since last week. My credit card was charged for this purchase. It seems I am not alone as many Origin accounts have been breached within the last few days and many fraudulent purchases have made using hacked accounts:

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Origin/My-Origin-Account-was-Hacked-and-purchased-FIFA15/td-p/4078093

I have since been able to change my Origin password and have also changed my email password in an attempt to secure my account, however many are having trouble removing their credit card info from their Origin Accounts. I've started a support ticket on help.ea.com and I'm waiting to be contacted by phone, however it says on the website that since December 26th. "Support wait-times currently higher than normal". Obviously I'd like the charges to be immediately reversed and to know that my account and information is secure.

Wondering if anyone else here has experienced this and just how deep it goes, as this seems to be a major security breach.

just be happy it's EA and not sony , because the same thing happened to one PS4 user and even though it was confirmed , someone hacked him , sony said , they were sorry they cant refund unless the game is flawed in their policies 

Source : http://www.craveonline.com/gaming/articles/801575-sony-refuses-offer-refund-playstation-game-fraudulently-purchased-hacker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K61pQ3J6YBs

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Phone up your bank and tell them about fraudulent charges made and ask them to withhold anymore from that source until you say so.

I'm somewhat hesitant to contact my bank and put a stop payment, because according to other users on the ea help forums who did this, their accounts were auto-banned and they have been unable to recover them after months of contacting EA, and were relegated to re-purchasing their legitimately owned games with a new account. So now I'm basically just waiting for EA to contact me, hoping for this to be resolved, but it appears to be a very widespread breach. This is completely rediculous.

This one is better m9.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Quisque euismod suscipit est, non placerat turpis vestibulum sed. Phasellus et faucibus odio. Donec a nisi at purus porttitor ullamcorper auctor a nibh. Integer id neque a nisi laoreet ultrices id ac augue. Nulla facilisi. Nullam purus elit, dictum quis euismod vitae, mollis non dui. Morbi vehicula neque eu mattis bibendum. Curabitur sed odio tortor. Sed euismod mi in diam volutpat, vitae convallis ipsum mattis. Praesent eleifend faucibus pulvinar. Interdum et malesuada fames ac ante ipsum primis in faucibus. Vestibulum velit nunc, fermentum a libero a, venenatis tempus lectus.

There's an option in Origin under security that disallows access to your account from another computer, which means even if they have your password they need a separate code to still access your account from a different computer other than the one registered to.

Yep, good point BiG StroOnZ, I'd recommend everyone who has an Origin account to add login verification and change their password immediately.

Yep, good point BiG StroOnZ, I'd recommend everyone who has an Origin account to add login verification and change their password immediately.

I don't have a credit card hooked up to my Origin account. I usually buy my games elsewhere and just activate the key on origin.

But still, I will look into changing my password and everything just to avoid any future problems.

My Rig:

Spoiler

Case: NZXT H210 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  Motherboard:  MSI B450 AM4 Motherboard  Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB Video Card: MSI RX480 Power Supply: Corsair TX 750w Storage: Samsung 840 120GB And a 500GB WD BLUE Monitor: Acer S231HLbid 23" and an old Dell Mouse: RAZER DeathAdder 3.5G Keyboard: Ducky DK9008G2 PRO MX Cherry Blue

This is why I do not let game clients or websites remember my information. You never know when a hacker will get into their system, or into your account.

There's an option in Origin under security that disallows access to your account from another computer, which means even if they have your password they need a separate code to still access your account from a different computer other than the one registered to.

Where is that located, if you don't mind me asking?

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Changed my password and enabled two-step verification on my Origin account. I wasn't an affected person, but it's never a bad idea to be cautious and do the things anyway.

I'm lucky in the regard that I use a pre-paid visa card for origin, that and the fact that I never let it remember the details. With everything that has been going on in the last few years I've become hesitant about buying games online instead of discs.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Well, it just keeps getting worse. I've been trying to contact customer support since the 24th unsuccessfully. Yesterday I received 2 emails from EA.

The 1st email apologized for the lack of support on my issue:

"Due to a high volume of phone calls and unusually long wait-times, we may have missed connecting with you by phone. We apologize for this inconvenience."

The 2nd email I received notified me that my account has been banned:

"We are contacting you regarding the action taken on your account.

We can see that while a violation has occurred on the account, this may have occurred while the security of the account may have been compromised. As a result of this, we will remove the penalty on the account, however, in order to regain access to your account, you will need to contact http://help.ea.com/ using chat or phone."

In addition to having my credit card charged fraudulently, being banned from my own account and not being able to access my games, I can also see that my original support ticket status has been "closed", despite never actually being directly contacted by support.

The OP EA complaint thread is getting longer every day with more and more victims, some whom have hundreds of dollars of fraudulent purchases charged to their accounts. Kotaku has now picked up on the story as well:

http://kotaku.com/users-complain-of-false-charges-on-eas-origin-1676826659

If you haven't done it yet, everyone change your Origin password! Also ensure that email login verification is enabled.

Origin, UPLAY...it's all one big joke. IMHO, I refuse to buy their games anymore. 

Tried to contact support today to get my account un-banned. Seems the ban also extended to help.ea.com, so its now impossible to login to the help forum, review my case number or request a call. Apparently I have to create a new account using an email that has never been used for an EA login.

*Facepalm*

This is why you should only use VISA/Mastercard gift cards and never save the payment information.

Buy a card with the amount you want to spent and once it's spent the card is rendered useless.