No Recognition Between Z97-A Motherboard and GTX 970 Card

I just spent $1600 on a PC and I am pretty annoyed at this problem I'm encountering. I bought TWO msi 970 GTX Geforce Video Card. They are both SLI ready and supports HDMI displays. I connected them to my Z97-A Asus motherboard and tried to boot the PC for the first time. My excitement of playing Skyrim in Ultra High graphics was then condemned to troubleshooting hell. The HDMI port from the motherboard did not connect correctly to the monitor (not the cable's fault). (Just to let you know I did use the SLI bridge component) I then took out the video cards (both) and then the monitor connection worked after the restart. I don't think that there is any compatibility issue between the cards and the board because they both are PCI express x16 with the 3.0 version. I then plugged in only one video card, and the system booted but after trying to install the NVIDIA driver, it told me there is no compatible hardware on my system. The video card is DEFINITELY getting enough power from my battery which has ample voltage. My theory is that somewhere in BIOS the system isn't recognizing my cards or something. I really don't like customer service for ASUS or MSI, so hopefully you guys can help me. The CPU built in Intel graphics is what my system is running on now. Please help me, I spent way to much time and money on these $270 video cards for them to be useless to me. (Also might want to add that everything else runs normally and I'm running an Intel CPU i7.)

-Matt

Attempted resolutions:

- Connecting the HDMI cord from the monitor to the VIDEO CARD instead of the mobo does not fix it.

- Reinstalling BIOS did not fix it

- Reseting BIOS by pulling the battery built in the mobo didn't work

- I moved my system off of the carpet 

post-175372-0-91969200-1419614498_thumb.

is iGPU enabled?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Some mobos have hardware PCI-E port switches, maybe you've accidentally shut the thing off while you were swapping cards?  Disregard that, Z97-A doesn't have those.

Also, have you tried clearing/updating BIOS on your mobo?

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

How can I check?

its a bios setting

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

You're using a battery to power it? Also, you said that you plugged the HDMI cable into the motherboard. Have you plugged it directly into the top graphics card? In addition, have you tried each card by themselves?

Also, cable management needs work.

Edited by Godlygamer23

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Some mobos have hardware PCI-E port switches, maybe you've accidentally shut the thing off while you were swapping cards?  Disregard that, Z97-A doesn't have those.

Also, have you tried clearing/updating BIOS on your mobo?

I have updated the BIOS but the same issue happens, I have not cleared my BIOS though, how would I do this?

I have updated the BIOS but the same issue happens, I have not cleared my BIOS though, how would I do this?

I assume he's referring to resetting the BIOS. The circular battery on the board. Remove that for a few seconds with the system unplugged and unpowered.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

You're using a battery to power it? Also, you said that you plugged the HDMI cable into the motherboard. Have you plugged it directly into the top graphics card? In addition, have you tried each card by themselves?

Also, cable management needs work.

I am using a battery to power it and I have tried each card by themselves.  What do you mean by plugging it into the top graphics card?

I am using a battery to power it and I have tried each card by themselves.  What do you mean by plugging it into the top graphics card?

With a card installed in the top PCIe 3.0 x16 slot, plug the HDMI cable into that card. So trying each card by themselves works?

You probably shouldn't be bundling on a carpet. Maybe you shorted everything out

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

With a card installed in the top PCIe 3.0 x16 slot, plug the HDMI cable into that card. So trying each card by themselves works?

Ok i tried that with each card and both do not work.  Work as in the monitor doesn't pick up the signal.

Ok i tried that with each card and both do not work 

You said in your OP that you tried one card and the system booted. Was that in the second PCIe x16 slot?

I assume he's referring to resetting the BIOS. The circular battery on the board. Remove that for a few seconds with the system unplugged and unpowered.

You said in your OP that you tried one card and the system booted. Was that in the second PCIe x16 slot?

Yes it was in the second PCI slot.  Just to be clear the system would power up and everything with both cards, but the monitor connected by the HDMI cord would not pick up any signal.  The HDMI cord was also connected to the motherboard when it worked during the single card test. (which worked)

Yes it was in the second PCI slot.  Just to be clear the system would power up and everything with both cards, but the monitor connected by the HDMI cord would not pick up any signal.  The HDMI cord was also connected to the motherboard when it worked during the single card test. (which worked)

Did you try both cards in the second slot?

Did you try both cards in the second slot?

I will give it a shot give me a minute

Ok so the system turns on and the monitor comes up with the windows and asus logo. (after I plugged in the card into the second PCIe x16 slot)  Then it opens up my desktop and I go to device manager and under display adapters there's only my CPU built in graphics.  I dont know why the actually card isn't appearing on this list

So, to be clear, with one card in the second slot, and the monitor connected to the card you are getting a picture on the monitor, but the hardware is not appearing in the device manager?

Try installing the driver anyway and see what happens.

So, to be clear, with one card in the second slot, and the monitor connected to the card you are getting a picture on the monitor, but the hardware is not appearing in the device manager?

Try installing the driver anyway and see what happens.

The monitor is connected to the motherboard.  When i attempt to install the driver from NVIDIA, it tells me that i lack the required hardware to download the driver (which is the video card im using).  I don't know why my system is not picking recognizing the video card. 

Is the shiny silver circle the BIOS battery you are referencing?  It is in the very right of the picture next to NVIDIA SLI sticker.

post-175372-0-51520400-1419618774_thumb.

If it were happening with just one card I'd suspect a bad card, but two bad cards at once seems unlikely.

Any other system you could try installing a card into?

Edit: yes that silver disc is the CMOS battery.  That board might have a CMOS reset button at the bottom - try that first.

I will give it a shot give me a minute

Ok so the system turns on and the monitor comes up with the windows and asus logo. (after I plugged in the card into the second PCIe x16 slot) Then it opens up my desktop and I go to device manager and under display adapters there's only my CPU built in graphics. I dont know why the actually card isn't appearing on this list

You mean VGA graphics? That's normal I think.

Is the shiny silver circle the BIOS battery you are referencing? It is in the very right of the picture next to NVIDIA SLI sticker.

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif 1226141234_resized.jpg

Yes.

I think the motherboard is the issue in some form.

Yes.

Well reseting BIOS by taking that battery worked but nvidia drivers still dont recognize any nvidia hardware on my system :(

I think the motherboard is the issue in some form.

Is there some BIOS option I could try to change?

If it were happening with just one card I'd suspect a bad card, but two bad cards at once seems unlikely.

Any other system you could try installing a card into?

Edit: yes that silver disc is the CMOS battery.  That board might have a CMOS reset button at the bottom - try that first.

I am installing the card into my old desktop now, also the BIOS reset did not help the nvidia driver to recognize the card