Microsoft rethinking there DRM policy's, CONFIRMED

An interesting article from Giant Bomb in which they state that Microsoft is rethinking there policy's when it comes to DRM and used games etc.

Microsoft is currently having a lot of negative PR with the Xbox One because of its DRM policy and used game policy.

Sony has stated that they will not restrict the user when it comes to being always online and trading games with friends etc.

What does this means, quoted from Giant Bomb:

• No more always online requirement
  • The console no longer has to check in every 24 hours
  • All game discs will work on Xbox One as they do on Xbox 360
  • An Internet connection is only required when initially setting up the console
  • All downloaded games will function the same when online or offline
  • No additional restrictions on trading games or loaning discs
  • Region locks have been dropped

If this is true it is a giant turnaround of Microsoft.

Still this will for me not make the One an interesting console, the price is too damn high.

To be honest I think this is great and I am not really surprised, Microsoft needed to do something to make there console interesting.

This is still a rumor so take it with a piece of salt, but Giant Bomb is a good and accurate site when it comes to gaming news.

Source: http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/microsoft-to-pull-complete-reversal-on-xbox-one-dr/1100-4673/

UPDATE: The Microsoft site has been updated, I will provide a link when I get One.

UPDATE: http://t.co/E3yBuCB9P2 Officially confirmed by Microsoft.

it will be their loss if they wont change them but im sure they will implement them back slowly in time with minor looking updates

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Apparently Microsoft, after the insane negative reaction towards their console, did a 180° and changed their DRM policy.

Please note that while it's probably true there hasn't been a confirmation yet.

Link to the article: http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/microsoft-to-pull-complete-reversal-on-xbox-one-dr/1100-4673/

the site is currently under heavy load, if ir doesn't load the spoiler contains a screeenshot of the article:

BNJeOtnCMAAG2jS.png

I hope this is true, not because I like the xbox, but rather because more competition can only lead to a faster paste in the "evolution" of the gaming world (or more exclusives, which would be terrible D:).

UPDATE: the news seems real based on their FAQ page: http://news.xbox.com/2013/05/qa , an update from today says that some  of the informations are out of date and to check out http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update for the latest.

Currently the second link doesn't go anywhere, the infos above are not confirmed, but it's sure something is happening.

Now this makes me happy! Even though the DRM policies and online requirements don't affect me in the slightest.

Was quite expected though after all that went down at E3.

| GPU: GT 650M | CPU: i5-3210M | Excuse my language, sometimes I can be pretty vulgar.

I seriously doubt they'll be changing <b>everything</b>on that list, seems like just a wishlist from an Xbox fan who's dissappointed in what they're offering now. Especially reverse compatibility seems very doubtful.

CPU: i5 4670K w/ NH-D15 - RAM: 4x4GB 1866Mhz Crucial Ballistix Tactical DDR3 - GPU: MSI GTX 970 100ME - SSD: 250GB 850 EVO - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB (games) & 2TB (storage) - MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 GAMING - Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Window - Fans:  A lot of Noctua NF-F12 (intake, exhaust) & 1x140mm Fractal Design included case fan - Monitor: DELL U2515H - Keyboard: Custom Logitech G105 - Mouse: Roccat Kova+ - Extra: LG Optical Drive, a lot of dust

I hope it isn't true M$ needs to be tought a lesson by trying to throw down what they thing WE NEED to be doing versus what we WANT. The power of the consumer massively outweighs the power of the developer.

I really hope it's true, but my guess is that it's just some website fishing for hits.

I hope it isn't true M$ needs to be tought a lesson by trying to throw down what they thing WE NEED to be doing versus what we WANT. The power of the consumer massively outweighs the power of the developer.

That doesn't really make any sense. If they are backing away from their original plan, then they have learned their lesson and is doing what the consumers wants. I don't understand why you don't want them to fix what is wrong with it.

Wow two threads about the same thing, almost at the exact same time.

Anyway, I really hope it's true, but my guess is that it's just some website fishing for hits.

The sad thing is, it shouldn't even take the reaction they received for them to realize it was a horrible idea.

Exactly.

If the Kinect is still a requirement (i.e. Xbox Ones will not be sold without them), that's still a bit of a drawback. :|

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Confirmed, good they did it, but.

1805oj1u.png

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

I really hope it's true, but my guess is that it's just some website fishing for hits.

That doesn't really make any sense. If they are backing away from their original plan, then they have learned their lesson and is doing what the consumers wants. I don't understand why you don't want them to fix what is wrong with it.

confirmed 

Sounds a little Meh...if  Most of the games need to run trough their cloud anyway i.e like sim city

so they could just no no its not us it's the game that needs to be online all the time :p 

and the terms says that things may change later .. so they can do what ever they want down the line 

The news is almost confirmed, please check out the OP for the update

EDIT: I reported my own thread because the news was already posted.

awww, you posted this 6 minutes before me =( I'm a slow typer =/. I'll report my thread.

That's a pretty big change, especially since they would also need to get rid of the things which the One had as advantages (i.e. after installing you don't need to keep the disk, games you purchase can be shared by a "family" of any 10 people on your friends list) in order to avoid shooting themselves in the foot a completely different way.

The sad thing is, it shouldn't even take the reaction they received for them to realize it was a horrible idea.

Easier to ask for forgiveness. They tested the idea, saw it sucked, and went to Plan B. Better than springing it on later.

So is it really confirmed officially? As in, Microsoft themselves has a statement somewhere? Xbox.com does not load for me, and the giantbomb page does not cite any source.

So is it really confirmed officially? As in, Microsoft themselves has a statement somewhere? Xbox.com does not load for me, and the giantbomb page does not cite any source.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/05/qa

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update

If it doesn't load, here's the text:

Last week at E3, the excitement, creativity and future of our industry was on display for a global audience.

For us, the future comes in the form of Xbox One, a system designed to be the best place to play games this year and for many years to come. As is our heritage with Xbox, we designed a system that could take full advantage of advances in technology in order to deliver a breakthrough in game play and entertainment. We imagined a new set of benefits such as easier roaming, family sharing, and new ways to try and buy games. We believe in the benefits of a connected, digital future. 

Since unveiling our plans for Xbox One, my team and I have heard directly from many of you, read your comments and listened to your feedback. I would like to take the opportunity today to thank you for your assistance in helping us to reshape the future of Xbox One. 

You told us how much you loved the flexibility you have today with games delivered on disc. The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you. Also important to you is the freedom to play offline, for any length of time, anywhere in the world.

So, today I am announcing the following changes to Xbox One and how you can play, share, lend, and resell your games exactly as you do today on Xbox 360. Here is what that means:

• An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games – After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.

• Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today – There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.

In addition to buying a disc from a retailer, you can also download games from Xbox Live on day of release. If you choose to download your games, you will be able to play them offline just like you do today. Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console -- there will be no regional restrictions. 

These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray. 

We appreciate your passion, support and willingness to challenge the assumptions of digital licensing and connectivity. While we believe that the majority of people will play games online and access the cloud for both games and entertainment, we will give consumers the choice of both physical and digital content. We have listened and we have heard loud and clear from your feedback that you want the best of both worlds.

Thank you again for your candid feedback. Our team remains committed to listening, taking feedback and delivering a great product for you later this year.

So have they changed the used game thing or is that still the same?

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

yes it is, quote (minus PR stuff) from http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update :

[...]

Since unveiling our plans for Xbox One, my team and I have heard directly from many of you, read your comments and listened to your feedback. I would like to take the opportunity today to thank you for your assistance in helping us to reshape the future of Xbox One.

You told us how much you loved the flexibility you have today with games delivered on disc. The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you. Also important to you is the freedom to play offline, for any length of time, anywhere in the world.

[...]

• An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games – After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.
  • Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today – There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.

[...]

Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console -- there will be no regional restrictions.

[...]

These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.

[...]

Unfortunately, the damage is already done.  I was speaking to a Gamestop rep a few days ago and he said that they were seeing PS4 preorders outnumber Xbox One preorders 4 to 1.  Granted this was before the annoucement but many gamers have already made their decisions based off of E3. 

Current Rig
AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming WiFi 2 - 32 GB GSkill TridentZ RGB
GeForce RTX 3080 - WD Black SN850 1TB  - Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL