:) Watching!

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

I sadly have to disagree with this $1000 build for the simple fact that 4k monitors will probably cost you more that the $1000 you are spending on the PC. so infect this is more like a $2000 build instead because if your going to build this you will also need to buy the 4k monitor.

Pretty sure his build included the monitor. 4k monitors aren't that expensive anymore.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Build is basically identical to the build I did a few months ago except the CPU (I got an i5). So I'm just going to take this as an official endorsement of my part selection....

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

Great video as always :D

I have been looking to upgrade my motherboard and would you guys recommend this board for a first time overclocker? I am stuck between the msi 970 gaming and the Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P :S 

How was the csgo stuttering? I know i get bad stuttering sometimes in csgo, even if my framerate is 300+.

Pretty sure his build included the monitor. 4k monitors aren't that expensive anymore, I got mine for $350 (Acer B286HK; the 28" TN version of the one he's using).

There is no way he has included the 4k monitor into the pricing of this build, considering he is using the monitor from here : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/275394-acer-b326hk/ with the price there mention as being over $1000 (he mentions this at 5.20 into the vid).

Even if he considered the monitor you mentioned, that still puts the build over $1000.  Of course, this is still viable as a $1000 build if you already have a 4k capable monitor but that's probably only applicable to a very minor group.

Pretty sure his build included the monitor. 4k monitors aren't that expensive anymore, I got mine for $350 (Acer B286HK; the 28" TN version of the one he's using).

Despite prices being quite volatile, I would have appreciated a breakdown of the cost of the computer to show that it actually came in under $1000.

I'm guessing the cost of the 4K monitor, operating system and peripherals are NOT included in the $1000 (just like with linus's other build guides). Just the case and everything inside it. Adding up the prices from the NCIX links, the CPU, video card, RAM and motherboard cost about $600 (assuming $250 for the video card, but there are cheaper R9 280s available), leaving about $400 for the case, PSU, SSD, HDD and CPU cooler, which sounds workable. Adding the cost of a cheap 4K monitor, Windows, and all the peripherals would probably push you over $1500, I think.

Still, Linus makes a good point that the monitor will last a lot longer than the rest of the computer, which makes a 4K monitor look a bit more attractive despite its higher price. Future software and games will demand more of your CPU and video card, but not your monitor.

There is no way he has included the 4k monitor into the pricing of this build, considering he is using the monitor from here : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/275394-acer-b326hk/ with the price there mention as being over $1000 (he mentions this at 5.20 into the vid).

Even if he considered the monitor you mentioned, that still puts the build over $1000.  Of course, this is still viable as a $1000 build if you already have a 4k capable monitor but that's probably only applicable to a very minor group.

As he said in the video everything is included in the price. AOC has slashed prices something fierce.

This was a great build log! It really put an emphasis on the fact that everyone doesn't play triple A titles, unlike other build guides. Looking forward to the next one!

4790k @ 4.6 (1.25 adaptive) // 2x GTX 970 stock clocks/voltage // Dominator Platnium 4x4 16G //Maximus Formula VII // WD Black1TB + 128GB 850 PRO // RM1000 // NZXT H440 // Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 (MX Blue) // Corsair M95 + Steelseries QCK // Razer Adaro DJ // AOC I2757FH

Had to be done:

P0iIYCV.png

NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

4790k @ 4.6 (1.25 adaptive) // 2x GTX 970 stock clocks/voltage // Dominator Platnium 4x4 16G //Maximus Formula VII // WD Black1TB + 128GB 850 PRO // RM1000 // NZXT H440 // Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 (MX Blue) // Corsair M95 + Steelseries QCK // Razer Adaro DJ // AOC I2757FH

So are you going to make video about three monitor on the cheap like Toms hardware did ? Why is the MSI logo not straight and little tilted.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Better run wdidle3 on that green drive

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

It surely put things into perspective, but I am still going with a greater build ;)

CPU: i7 5820k @4.5Ghz | Mobo: MSI X99A SLI Plus | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 Quad Channel | GPU: GTX 970 @ 1579 Mhz | Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 | OS: Windows 10

Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | PSU: Corsair TX750 | Display: Samsung SyncMaster 2233 & SyncMaster SA350 | Cooling: Cooler Master Seidon 120M

Keyboard: Razer Lycosa | Mouse: Steelseries Kana | Sound: Steelseries Siberia V2

@nicklmg

You mentioned this is an AMD Sponsored video

the question is why AMD still send you guys the FX platform instead of the 860K FM2+ platform which is newer?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($77.98 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($25.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A88X Extreme4+ ATX FM2+ Motherboard  ($60.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 Low Profile Red 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory  ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($70.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($51.85 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($224.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master N400 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Cooler Master VSM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $707.74
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-25 09:09 EST-0500

The 860K when OC is able to beat the FX8320 in single and multi treaded applications test

http://www.overclock.net/t/1522956/860k-preliminary-results-vs-8320

Maybe just an add on suggestion build to the original video

Thanks and great video

Regards

Dragoon20005

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Linus, LTT staff, or just any random viewers of this...

Can you share me a link to where I can get a table mat/worksurface cover like the one at about 02:00 in the video.  That's really cool... oh and MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone!

My rig =SCOUT2= 

He really should have prefaced the video by saying that it is sponsored by AMD.

He did.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I have a similar build, and was wondering about the CPU cooler. Is that a CM hyper 212 evo? is it the only way to mount it on a 970 mobo?

thank.

may your framerates be high and your temperatures be low. #pcmr

im actually happy that he finally included wow in a build log and shown the results for it.  Please include in more often in your results,  with 10 million players that's a lot of ppl that are concerned with how their systems are going to run.

ohhh just another thing,  could you maybe if you were to do a build for running wow at total max setting what would you put in your system.

thanks from the land downunder.

Well there is a reason why these games are so popular, other than being fun and free. Now-a-days 90% or more of my friends play games on notebooks (or the apple equivalent) out of convenience, modern AAA titles don't run well on these sort of machines (with the exception of some of the new and very expensive gaming laptops out there, most of which are too large to be of any use by most people). Therefore the kind of games people mostly play are ones that run well on even the mainstream machines they have and so are much less demanding than other titles even when cranked to 4K. And as such I feel this kind of test is sadly, almost irrelevant as those gamers are much less likely to upgrade to a beefier desktop let alone pay up for a 4k monitor.
It would have been interesting if you had included other free to play games that don't hold back on the graphics, games like war thunder, it would be interesting to see how that system deals with a greater verity of graphically intensive games, just for reference.

Oh AMD, trying to create a scenario where even your subpar CPU's can still 'compete' huh. 

I'm pretty convinced that games like Starcraft, WoW, LoL, CS:GO, DOTA would run much better on a i3-4130. All being 2-3 threaded games in essence.

Linus, LTT staff, or just any random viewers of this...

Can you share me a link to where I can get a table mat/worksurface cover like the one at about 02:00 in the video. That's really cool... oh and MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone!

Your looking for the modright extreme antistatic mat

Why do you always die right after I fix you?

When I saw the intro to the video, I decided to try and have a go at it. 4k gaming for $1k. I didn't quite hit the $1k mark, but any less I feel like wouldn't be acceptable for 4k gaming. I did this actually before I watched the full intro, so I didn't see the part where this was only for low-demanding games like CS:GO, SC2, and LoL. I also didn't see his build, so I definitely went in a different direction. Also, don't bash on me for getting a Z97 board with a locked CPU. The cheapest x-fire board (that wasn't mATX) was around $95, and this was only a tiny bit more expensive and I liked it more.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($98.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Team Zeus Blue 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($67.97 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card (2-Way CrossFire)  ($244.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card (2-Way CrossFire)  ($244.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ NZXT)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1056.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-25 11:06 EST-0500

Note: no rebates were factored in. With rebates, this comes to $987, and fits under $1k, but I don't think they count.

When I saw the intro to the video, I decided to try and have a go at it. 4k gaming for $1k. I didn't quite hit the $1k mark, but any less I feel like wouldn't be acceptable for 4k gaming. I did this actually before I watched the full intro, so I didn't see the part where this was only for low-demanding games like CS:GO, SC2, and LoL. I also didn't see his build, so I definitely went in a different direction. Also, don't bash on me for getting a Z97 board with a locked CPU. The cheapest x-fire board (that wasn't mATX) was around $95, and this was only a tiny bit more expensive and I liked it more.

I think their build included the monitor for ~$1000.

I think their build included the monitor for ~$1000.

I don't think so. This is what I got for their build:

CPU: AMD FX-6350 3.9GHz 6-Core Processor  ($114.99 @ Newegg)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($30.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: MSI 970 GAMING ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($97.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: AMD 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($96.15 @ Mwave)

Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($94.99 @ NCIX US)

Storage: Western Digital WD Green 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($77.98 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 285 2GB ITX COMPACT OC Video Card  ($259.99 @ Newegg)

Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ NZXT)

Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($56.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $890.06

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-25 11:42 EST-0500

(I know the PSU is off. I couldn't find the PSU they included)

Linus's explanation for using an FX 6350 instead of an eight core FX.

I don't feel like paying a bunch more on a CPU is a great investment for a sweet spot PC today

Here's the issue I have with this statement. An 8 core FX 8320 is literally only $20 more expensive than an FX 6350, and it's clearly superior. You get 33% better performance for a 16% increase in cost.
In addition, Linus had already included an aftermarket CPU cooler, which means he could've easily overclocked the FX 8320 or an FX 6300 to match the FX 6350 in clock speeds and actually still have thermal room to spare, which makes the choice of an FX 6350 CPU over an FX 8320 or an FX 6300 all the less sensible.

I also strongly believe that if Linus had streteched the budget only by a mere $30-$50 he could've easily fitted an aftermarket cooled R9 290 GPU into the build. An upgrade that would yield 45% better framerates in games and would actually enable a very satisfying gaming experience on high to medium settings in triple A titles. If you have $1000 to spend on a system you'd definitely spend the extra $30-$50 to make it 45% faster. Just my humble opinion.