[Tutorial] How to make your 900 Series Video Card have a 0% fan mode!

Lays
9 hours ago, Hussein_ said:

Hi Guys i need some help with this!

Sooo I just build my first Computer a few days ago and everything is super fine! I managed the overclock with the help of this forum and i am super happy with how everything turned out!

The only thing that bugs me is how loud my GPU fan is on idle. I have an "ASUS Turbo GTX970 4GB OC" and I just cant manage to get it to 0%. It runs at 28% the whole time.

I followed the tutorial and flashed the new settings on it but it didnt change. I can set the Fanspeed in "MSI Afterburn" to 0% but the Card just keeps running >:(.

So I thought that I failed with something and tryed to do it again. After saving the GPU bios to edit it, I saw that it has the 0% settings just like in the video which means, that the settings should be on the card, right ?:S

How can I make my new PC perfect and finish that tutorial? Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help.

If you did everything and it doesn't work, that means your card had a hardware limiter that won't let the fan turn off. 

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Same Asus 970 Turbo Card. But didnt work due to hardware limiter.

We need a fix. I hate this card in idle. :-(

• 1 month later...

Getting error "Certificate 2.0 Verification Error, Update aborted."

• 2 months later...

Tried this two times and got these errors. I´m also using a GTX 970 G1 Gaming. I was using the newest versions of nvflash and Maxwell Bios Tweaker on Windwos 10

Unbenannt1.png

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone figured out how to do this on 1000 series cards ?

There is KFA2 EX 1070 going for every cheap in EU (sub 400e) but it lacks the fan off feature apperently.

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian

Unbenannt.pngSomehow I´m only able to update the firmware, but not flash the bios with nvflash...

Unbenannt.png

• 2 weeks later...

So has anyone got this working with Windows 10 without problems?

• 2 weeks later...

I just downgraded from a 0 rpm capable GPU to a non capable one and i'm getting annoyed by the fan noise.
Trying to flash my Gigabyte GV-N970IX-4GD on windows 10 but get stuck ( see img ), can someone help me ?

windows 10 maxwell flash.png

5 hours ago, Robinski said:

I just downgraded from a 0 rpm capable GPU to a non capable one and i'm getting annoyed by the fan noise.
Trying to flash my Gigabyte GV-N970IX-4GD on windows 10 but get stuck ( see img ), can someone help me ?

windows 10 maxwell flash.png

Is the GPU you have now an itx 970? If so,  I don't believe 0% fan works on it. 

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

• 1 month later...
On 27.09.2016 at 0:51 AM, Lays said:

Is the GPU you have now an itx 970? If so,  I don't believe 0% fan works on it. 

I had the same problem. You have to use old version of NVFLASH with bios version verification bypass. Version 5.206-0-1 works fine for me.

NVFlash-all_checks_bypassed-v5-206-0-1.zip

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone.

I have been somewhat annoyed by my gigabyte 970 g1s fan noise during the years, and in a spur of a moment googled and found this thread.

I very much would like to get my min fan speed to zero, but I am getting "ERROR: no longer supports WoW64 flasher"-message, accompanied with two VERY loud beeps through the speakers, when running the "nvflash -6 $romname$" command. Will using the nvflash64.exe fix this problem? (been too timid to try before asking, in case of f-ups) Or is there something else I need to do for this to work?

OS is Win10 Pro 64bit, if that's of any importance.

// UPDATE

Ignore my post. Googled some more with error messages I got with nvflash64 and seems I just had a version that wasn't optimal for my situation. Got the      proper version, it's flashed now, and here goes for the reboot. Back with an image soon, I hope :P

Edited by Tursoke

• 7 months later...

So, I figured out one thing. If you want your GPU to be fanless using Afterburner change ONLY PER01 and RPM01 to 0. By doing so, your GPU will maintain it's default or stock fan curve when Afterburner is not in use. I noticed that in Linux or without Afterburner launched fans behave strangely. They are turning on and off continuously when GPU hits 40 degrees or so which is kinda annoying.

• 1 month later...

Nice guide, when i type in "nvflash -6 mybiosname.rom" in the command prompt, it comes up with an error: "ERROR: No longer supports WoW64 flasher." Any ideas on what to do? Im on a GTX 970...

On 04/12/2015 at 8:21 PM, 1whiteshark1 said:

works on palit 970 !

I get an error message saying "ERROR: No longer supports WoW64 flasher." in the command prompt when i do it...any ideas on what to do?

• 3 months later...

image.png.494a786a0c5a804e419c3a59766e31c5.png

With these setting I finally managed to tame my very noisy and annoying Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming videocard. Getting now along well with Gigabyte's "XTREME GAMING ENGINE" tuning app.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys
I know it's an old post but I have just bought gtx 970 card with annoying FANS. I'm wonderring if it's safe to flash in win10 or someone treid to do that and which ver. of nvflash did he use?!

cuz I saw someone posted he got a problem with vBios in win 10