Registry cleaner in CCleaner?

flibberdipper

I've kinda forgotten about it, but I was wondering about it. Is it safe to use, and if I do use it, will it cause any issues, and will it speed up my computer? My Dell wants all the speed that it can get (thanks Windows XP), so... It wants all the help it can get to make XP not suck as much.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I use it all the time. No problems yet.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Most probably not, if you are worried use the option to set backup of registry before the actual cleanup, if anything goes wrong you can just revert it back..

Details separate people.

Been using it for about a year, and prolly use once or twice a month. Never had issues, so it should be perfectly safe.

Is it bad that my dream setup only costs a few thousand not counting the obutto?

CPU: FX-8320

Motherboard: asrock 970Pro3 r2.0

Memory: Team Zeus Blue 8GB DDR3-1600 Memory 

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB DUAL-X Video Card 

Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case  

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  

SSD: MX100 128GB

HDD: WD 2TB black edition

It gives you the option to export the registry, use it and do that. 

Then if any problems occur just restore, I find registry cleaners just help with junk thats gathered over time like invalid startup items, firewall rules that no longer count and stuff like that.

I use it every week (i'm really stingy about keeping my computer clean) and I have not had a single problem, I never even backup the files. If you are paranoid, what I would do is go out and grab an old USB drive at least 1GB, and when CCleaner fixed the files it asks you to back up and just backup to the USB drive and keep them dated so you know what backup is what.

Edit: I just did a backup to see how big the files were and they were only a few KB so if you wanted to just not spend any money at all you could even use a 512MB Flash Drive or smaller.

CPU: Intel i7-8700k 5GHz @ 1.35v | Cooling: EK Predator 360 | MotherBoard: ASUS z370-E | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32gb 3200MHz (4 x 8GB) | GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 TI OC

Case: Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra Modded side panel | SSD: Samsung 512gb 960 Pro | HDDS: 3TB Segate 7200rpm / 4TB HGST 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA G3 1000w | Display:ASUS VG248QE 24" / HP 25" 2511x / SAMSUNG 35" TV

Ex HDD: 3TB WD MyBook USB 3.0 | Keyboard: Rosewill MX Blue / Corsair K70 Red | Mouse: Logitech G602 | OS: Windows 10 64-bit Home Premium

Never had any problems using it, a while ago it actually fixed a problem I was having.

CCleaner's registry cleaner is safe. It primarily removes unused extensions and old dependencies from the registry. It doesn't hurt to go in manually and delete old keys that you no longer need as well as registry cleaners aren't going to pick up and remove everything. Personally, I would of just wiped Windows from it and dropped in Lubuntu  ^_^

I used ccleane registry cleaner 100's of times never once broke or cause issue just got rid of things not needed. 

CCleaner's registry cleaner is safe. It primarily removes unused extensions and old dependencies from the registry. It doesn't hurt to go in manually and delete old keys that you no longer need as well as registry cleaners aren't going to pick up and remove everything. Personally, I would of just wiped Windows from it and dropped in Lubuntu  ^_^

Naw, I gotta keep XP. A bunch of the stuff I use works better on XP. Like F@H.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

In a nutshell:

It is safe, backup your registry if you are worried about it (I never do), but its not going to speed up your computer.

Speaking of forgotten CCleaner utilities, they have something called Drive Wiper, will write over an entire drive with random 1's/0's to make recovery really hard/impossible. One of the options is to do it 26 times, said it was going to take 6 weeks to do on a 1TB drive.  :P