SuperFlower Leadex Gold 650W [Review]

Liam-McShane

I imagine quite a few of you have not heard of SuperFlower before. Sadly they do not seem to have much/any presence in North America. They do have a strong presence in Europe however and have recently made their way to the U.K. Today i will be reviewing the Leadex Gold 650W. A 650W 80+ Gold fully modular PSU.

Let's start with the packaging. The box is your standard PSU affair with specifications, features and fan curves all advertised. The PSU is well protected with nice soft foam and a white bag protecting it. The manual is in colour and has a surprising amount of detail. It includes details about all the connectors including voltages and pin-outs. It talks about the fan curves, installation instructions, cable lengths, power outputs and troubleshooting tips. The unit itself comes in two colours, white and black. I chose the black one as white wasn't available at the time of purchase. The paint finish is good and seems to be quite durable. Overall the design is quite plain with a stamped out logo on one side and the specifications on the other. You will see the stamped out side if the PSU fan is facing upwards and the specifications are shown if the fan is faced down. The fan grill is different from standard designs and makes the unit stand out. I personally like the look of it and the metal badge in the middle is a nice addition. The modular connections on the PSU illuminate with white L.E.D.s when a cable is plugged in. These look really nice but sadly cannot be turned off which may be an issue for some.

The cables are all black and include black sleeving. The connectors are colour co-ordinated which may disturb colour co-ordination. I fixed this by using extensions as i am fussy. Cable lengths are good and i had no issues reaching any connectors despite using an XL-ATX case (CM Storm Stryker). All the cables use the same 9 pin connector so there are is no fussing about when plugging them into the PSU. Only the 24 pin has a different connector. 

Included Cables:

1x 20+4 pin (550mm)

1x 8 pin EPS (CPU) (650mm)

1x 4x4 pin EPS (CPU) (650mm)

2x 6+2 pin PCI-E (550mm)

1x 2x 6+2 pin PCI-E (two connectors on one cable) (550mm)

1x 2x SATA + 2x Molex (500mm)

1x 3X Molex + 1x Floppy connector (500mm)

2x 4X SATA (500mm)

Total: 10 Modular cables

Like most modern PSU's the Leadex Gold 650W features an ECO fan mode which means the fan will not spin until the PSU reaches 55c. The fan will spin at 750RPM when it reaches that temperature and will go all the way up to 1500 RPM at 65c. So far i have not heard the PSU at all. However i am only running an R9-290 and an overclocked 4670K so i'm not really stressing it too much. 

From reading various reviews this PSU does incredibly well with efficiency and ripple with ripple results not far behind a Corsair AX1200i. 

post-1657-0-65386900-1419259388.png

SuperFlower produce their own PSU's and all electrolytic and polymer capacitors on the mainboard are from Nippon Chemi-Con, which is nice to see. The included fan is also a fluid dynamic bearing affair which should mean it will last a long time, none of the sleeve bearing crap seen in cheaper PSU's. 

The reason i bought this PSU was the fact it was cheaper than other fully modualr gold rated power supplies available to me. Thankfully the cheaper price does not indicate any cut corners with good performance, build quality, looks and a 5 year warranty to boot. The cheaper price is perhaps due to SuperFlower manufacturing their own PSU's themselves. It's really hard to not recommend this PSU compared to others at similar price points. No other PSU at this price point is fully modular and gold rated. I paid £80 for this PSU which i would consider a steal. There really are no downsides to this PSU apart from subjective cosmetic aspects.

Rating: 10/10

Pictures below are taken from various sources due to me not having a good camera.

Super-Flower-Leadex-Gold-1.jpg

Super-Flower-Leadex-Gold-2.jpg

Leadex-Open-box-670x470.jpg

Leadex-Main-1-670x471.jpg

Leadex-Main-3-670x437.jpg

Leadex-Main-4-670x531.jpg

Super-Flower-Leadex-Gold-13.jpg

Leadex-Main-6-670x443.jpg

Super-Flower-Leadex-Gold-5.jpg

Leadex-Cables-3-670x342.jpg

Simple Stryker (Now Finished  ;) )

The Terrible HP

Nice Review, I have seen Superflower here for quite awhile, and it seems good, but my only question, is that is it any better then Seasonic?

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

Superflower master race.

Mine is Platinum tho :P

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

looks like a pain in the ass to sleeve tho 

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

Nice Review, I have seen Superflower here for quite awhile, and it seems good, but my only question, is that is it any better then Seasonic?

It depends on what PSU you are buying but SuperFlower's PSU's tend to stand up well even against the best.

The Terrible HP

It depends on what PSU you are buying but SuperFlower's PSU's tend to stand up well even against the best.

When I bought my PSU, it cost less than a 550W bronze Seasonic one. However, mine is a 550W Platinum one and can actually output even 650-700W(but at gold efficiency). 

Superflower master race.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

When I bought my PSU, it cost less than a 550W bronze Seasonic one. However, mine is a 550W Platinum one and can actually output even 650-700W(but at gold efficiency). 

Superflower master race.

Indeed sir, indeed. I think mine will do about 750w still at gold efficiency before the protection will kick in.

The Terrible HP

AH Superflower
Nice to see :)

SuperNova: CPU: Intel Core i5 4670k @4.6 GPU: Sapphire R290 Tri-x @1200, @1350, MOBO: MSI Z87 G45 Gaming, RAM: 16Gb HyperX Fury White @1866, PSU: CORSAIR TX750M, CASE: Arc Midi R2, SSD: Kingston 120gb SSD, 
COOLING:
H100i w/ 2x Nb eLoop 800rpm

Check out my build log Black Dawn Check out my build log Supernova