Why do streamers not cap their fps?

Go to solution Solved by PerfectTemplar,

I know, but what's the point of not capping?

Do you gain anything?

Some people say that they don't like fps capping is that one of the reasons?

There is a benefit past fps that your monitor can display. More fps reduces input lag and response times. (I think that is how it works)

Also it does minimise the chance of stuttering. However, I do cap my FPS on WoW to 144 and when I can either 60 or 144 on any other game also. I never did on league of legends because it never really occurred to me but I don't play League of Legends any more so it doesn't matter.

It all comes down to personal preference, I cap my FPS now. But some people don't care about the noise and or heat that comes from an uncapped frame rate.

Why does it matter other than jealousy?

I am curious not jelous.

PC  Specs 2022:

Spoiler
  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen R9 5900x @ 5.1GHz - Auto OC
  • Curve Optimizer Magnitude: -20
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX x570-F Gaming
  • RAM
                                        Kingston Fury 32GB DDR4 3200MHz 16x2GB
  • GPU
    MSI 3070 8GB Ventus 2x OC
  • Case
    LIAN LI LANCOOL MESH II Mesh RGB Black
  • Storage
    Kingston NV1 2TB M.2. NVMe
  • PSU
    Seasonic Focus GX 850w 
  • Display(s)
    MSI OPTIX MAG 251RX IPS 240hz & ASUS MG248Q Vertical 144hz & Dell 60hz
  • Cooling
    NZXT Kraken x73 360mm
  • Keyboard
    Tt eSports Meka G1
  • Mouse
    Logitech G Pro Wireless
  • Operating System
    -Windows 10 Professional 64bit

I am talking about in game capping but ok.

Well, that's just obvious then.. unlocked framerate means less latency. It's quite noticeable, especially in games where your GPU has a large overhead.

Well, that's just obvious then.. unlocked framerate means less latency. It's quite noticeable, especially in games where your GPU has a large overhead.

Does it matter in LoL?

PC  Specs 2022:

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    Seasonic Focus GX 850w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    NZXT Kraken x73 360mm
  • Keyboard
    Tt eSports Meka G1
  • Mouse
    Logitech G Pro Wireless
  • Operating System

Decrease the latency by how much 0.0001 ms or what ?

Not sure on the exact maths of it. But I think it's a few ms which some people find important.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

Not sure on the exact maths of it. But I think it's a few ms which some people find important.

I think that this is BS no way that can happen.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I think that this is BS no way that can happen.

Why is there NO way that can happen? I seem to recall he mentions it at one point (watched a long time ago)

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

Why is there NO way that can happen?

You can't see the frames so you can't react the most latency would be from you taking time me to react.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

You can't see the frames so you can't react the most latency would be from you taking time me to react.

I did say it was input lag that was created by lower fps.

I did say it was input lag that was created by lower fps.

Talking about having the fps uncapped if you can't see you can't react if you can't react it doesn't make a difference.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Talking about having the fps uncapped if you can't see you can't react if you can't react it doesn't make a difference.

That isn't what I am saying, regardless of what you can see. When you have a lower fps the input lag there is when you "input" (Take an action) is higher. It is latency.

That isn't what I am saying, regardless of what you can see. When you have a lower fps the input lag there is when you "input" (Take an action) is higher. It is latency.

Give me a source or backup what you are saying, can you elaborate I think I missed some of what you said.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Give me a source or backup what you are saying, can you elaborate I think I missed some of what you said.

I did say without confidence that I think that is how it works. I believe TB mentions it in his video on frame rate. Basically, the higher your frame rate, the lower your input response time is (latency) whilst playing a game. I am not entirely sure how much difference it makes but it is my understanding that the effects do exist. I provided TB's video, other than that I am just giving what my understanding is, or what I can gather at least as to why some people do not cap their frame rate. As I said, I personally DO cap my frame rate.

I did say without confidence that I think that is how it works. I believe TB mentions it in his video on frame rate. Basically, the higher your frame rate, the lower your input response time is (latency) whilst playing a game. I am not entirely sure how much difference it makes but it is my understanding that the effects do exist.

I just don't see how that would work lower my latency, wouldn't that increase my latency because there are frames that I can't see so I can't respond to it.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

I just don't see how that would work lower my latency, wouldn't that increase my latency because there are frames that I can't see so I can't respond to it.

http://www.cas.mcmaster.ca/~teather/pdfs/Frame_Rate_Latency.pdf

There you go, have a read of that.

I read that and I understand but I think this is different because you don't see the frames.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Running unsynced does however always gives you the newest frame available, not a buffered frame that happened a few milliseconds ago.

More fps reduces input lag and response times. (I think that is how it works)

Not really. G-Sync for example uses variable frame rate technology but you have a max FPS that the graphics card can render. Even though the FPS might be say 60FPS, the input lag is gone because the display can change its refresh rate depending on what the graphics card is telling it. Given that though, I would like to perform an experiment. Using frame rate limiting software(say Precision X) with V-Sync off, limit the FPS to 60, and then continue increasing it by 10's. See if the person(s) notice any differences each time that is done.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I read that and I understand but I think this is different because you don't see the frames.

you may not see them,but you feel them. the gameplay runs more smooth. and i assume you mean that you don`t see them bcouse of the monitor refresh rate. couse your eye doesn`t have a fps limit

You may not see them, but you feel them. The game-play runs more smooth. 

You sure it's not placebo effect?

Sounds like it  :P

PC  Specs 2022:

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    Seasonic Focus GX 850w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    NZXT Kraken x73 360mm
  • Keyboard
    Tt eSports Meka G1
  • Mouse
    Logitech G Pro Wireless
  • Operating System

you may not see them,but you feel them. the gameplay runs more smooth. and i assume you mean that you don`t see them bcouse of the monitor refresh rate. couse your eye doesn`t have a fps limit

You know you made no sense, how does it run more smoother you won't notice because you won't see the frames I'm taking about the Hz, you feel them how do you feel them by what sense do you feel them ?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

You know you made no sense, how does it run more smoother you won't notice because you won't see the frames I'm taking about the Hz, you feel them how do you feel them by what sense do you feel them ?

He might be talking 'bout faith. Keepo

PC  Specs 2022:

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU