Properly cleaning my case and my heatsink

Homicidium
Go to solution Solved by soup,

Do NOT use any liquids inside the case, a moistened cloth can be used for the outside of the case but please no scourers or harsh chemicals (some swear by just water some add a touch of LIGHT cleaner).

Oldie but goodie:-

Your unlikely to damage the fans by spinning them in the airflow (as long as you don't concentrate on them- seeing how fast they will go ;) ) but if you feel at all apprehensive stop them rotating at all by gently inserting a match/BBQ skewer/toothpick WHY between the blades and the support structure .

Fans can be taken apart and cleaned fully (I think dissassembly of the fans is overkill but...,

if your bearings need cleaned out maybe time to think about replacement).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRkHq-P9TQE

Ensuring your case has positive pressure should help reduce dust ingress (ALL intakes should be filtered).

You could of course be really anal and take all the pieces out back to day 0 and seperately clean all the components and rebuild (again, this approach TO ME seems overkill I would just give it a good blow-out and wipe down the outside of the case).

Hey Guys!

This is probably the wrong section, however I couldn't really find a fitting sub forum to my topic. 

Anyways, I've been using my Fractal Design Define R4 and Noctua NH-D14 for over a year now and quite a bit of dust (although it does have fan filters) has come into my case and settled in there, so since I'm currently on winter break from school I wanted to properly clean both my case, my heatsink and fans and I just wanted to know, how to properly clean it. 

I mean, water's pretty self-explanatory, but I have some question regarding cleaners etc.

1. Do you guys just use water or do you add some type of cleaner to the water to further improve the results?

2. Should I remove the rubbor grommets or is it okay to leave them in?

3. Should I use just water to clean my heatsink, and how do I properly dry it? (Our water has pretty high levels of lime in it)

4. How do I further dustproof my case? (1)

5. Can I use a damp cloth to clean my power supply or should desist from cleaning my power supply?

6. Can I use Q - tips to clean my fans without damaging them?

(1) I have three Noctua 140mm fans, the 2 at the front are dustfiltered and set as an intake, the one on the rear is installed as an exhaust and has no dust filtration 

I'd appreciate all your input to prevent me from fudging up, feel free to share your experiences as it's much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Homicidium

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

Id just blow out the components with compressed air or your lungs and hoover the case

Steve

Do NOT use any liquids inside the case, a moistened cloth can be used for the outside of the case but please no scourers or harsh chemicals (some swear by just water some add a touch of LIGHT cleaner).

Oldie but goodie:-

Your unlikely to damage the fans by spinning them in the airflow (as long as you don't concentrate on them- seeing how fast they will go ;) ) but if you feel at all apprehensive stop them rotating at all by gently inserting a match/BBQ skewer/toothpick WHY between the blades and the support structure .

Fans can be taken apart and cleaned fully (I think dissassembly of the fans is overkill but...,

if your bearings need cleaned out maybe time to think about replacement).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRkHq-P9TQE

Ensuring your case has positive pressure should help reduce dust ingress (ALL intakes should be filtered).

You could of course be really anal and take all the pieces out back to day 0 and seperately clean all the components and rebuild (again, this approach TO ME seems overkill I would just give it a good blow-out and wipe down the outside of the case).

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

1. Just a damp towel when I need it for the case--a dry one is usually fine. 

2. Up to you.

3. As long as you can get it completely dry and not leave it sitting wet, it should be fine.

4. Filter all of your intakes and have more intakes than exhaust to push instead of pull air through open cracks.

5. It's fine as long as you don't get the inside wet and if you dry it afterwards.

6. That's fine. I just use napkins/towels/tissues.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Thanks guys! You've already helped me a lot :) 

I was going to take apart the whole system (uninstalling the motherboard, mounting the SSD properly), so I might as well go a little bit anal. :D

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

Thanks guys! You've already helped me a lot :)

I was going to take apart the whole system (uninstalling the motherboard, mounting the SSD properly), so I might as well go a little bit anal. :D

Go for it.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  .  It's YOUR system.

Careful on diss/re-assembly.  Keep touching the case or if in a really dry area contemplate an anti-static wrist band (worn on the ankle to keep it out the road).

Generally once mounted in a case with power supply attached and plugged in static fades as a problem however when you take it all apart it will be like the initial state with components loose and susceptible. Whether this is a serious issue for you only you can decide.

Edited to add the "Careful - decide." bit.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"