Unmanaged switch or smart switch

i've planned to add another gigabit lancard on my home server. in theory i'm getting 5gbps network from it.

but the question is, am i need a smart switch for running the link aggregation/teaming? or i can just use a unmanaged switch...

currently i'm running FreeNAS 9.3 (up2date version) 

thank you.

You dont need managed switch unless you want to limit bandwidth or create vlan or some advance things... If you want just to connect in lan than unmanaged is for you

I have test from network hardware today :) (in one hour or so)

edit:

You need to have a switch that complies with 802.3ad Dynamic Link Aggregation standard.

You dont need managed switch unless you want to limit bandwidth or create vlan or some advance things... If you want just to connect in lan than unmanaged is for you

Correct.

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

You wont be getting 5Gbps from it unless you are using Link Aggregation. all you will have is 5 posible links for trafic to go down at 1Gbs. Those ports will have their own unique IP address and will only accept trafic going to them rather an down all the links at once.

You need a smart switch or managed switch that supports Link Aggregation for you to be able to have that kind of through put.  As far as i know you probably wont be able to aggregate links between individual NIC's you can only do it on one NIC with multiple ports.

If your aim is to get higher through put,  So be able to send or recieve data to the server at 4Gbps you will need a NIC multiple ports and a smart or managed switch. 

Being as your asking if you should be getting a unmanaged or a smart/managed switch im guessing at the moment your just using an unmanaged switch?

Hope this helps

You wont be getting 5Gbps from it unless you are using Link Aggregation. all you will have is 5 posible links for trafic to go down at 1Gbs. Those ports will have their own unique IP address and will only accept trafic going to them rather an down all the links at once.

You need a smart switch or managed switch that supports Link Aggregation for you to be able to have that kind of through put.  As far as i know you probably wont be able to aggregate links between individual NIC's you can only do it on one NIC with multiple ports.

If your aim is to get higher through put,  So be able to send or recieve data to the server at 4Gbps you will need a NIC multiple ports and a smart or managed switch. 

Being as your asking if you should be getting a unmanaged or a smart/managed switch im guessing at the moment your just using an unmanaged switch?

Hope this helps

I believe there are unmanaged switches that support Link Aggregation, Netgear makes some. 

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

Hope this helps

Pretty much what this guy said is on point. Just look around for a switch that supports 802.3ad which probably will not be one of the 20$ 8 port gigabit switches on newegg. Most basic switches that do this are around 50$ and up. Check ebay for older managed gigabit switches you will probably have a better experience with them than anything else.

Corsair C70 | Gigabyte Widnforce R9 280x | AMD FX8320 3.5ghz | Corsair 750m | Gigabyte 990FXA-ud3 | Mushkin 120gb SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1tb | Mushkin 16gb ddr3 1333mhz Ram

Pretty much what this guy said is on point. Just look around for a switch that supports 802.3ad which probably will not be one of the 20$ 8 port gigabit switches on newegg. Most basic switches that do this are around 50$ and up. Check ebay for older managed gigabit switches you will probably have a better experience with them than anything else.

cheap 16 port gigabit switch with link aggregation support.

any suggestion?