Asus or GIGABYTE

I personally prefer ASUS boards over any other make.
Followed by GigaByte & MSI.

I like the look of that Giga board thou.

That Giga board is also a step up from that ASUS board.
With the ASUS Sabertooth board the closest match.

And I would recommend the Sabertooth board over any 990fx boards..

Both boards would give similar performance.

Asus. :P

System 1: Thermaltake Element Q - Thermaltake 220W SFX - Asus AT5IONT-I mini-ITX - Intel® Atom™ D525 onboard 1.8GHz Dual-Core HT - Integrated NVIDIA® ION™ - 2x 2GB Kingston DDR3 - Samsung 120GB 840 Series - Scythe Kama Rack 3.5 - Asus DVD-RW

System 2: Thermaltake Element Q - Thermaltake 220W SFX - Asus E2KM1I-DELUXE mini-ITX - AMD E2-2000 onboard 1.75GHz Dual-Core - Integrated AMD® Radeon HD 7340 - 2x 4GB Kingston DDR3 - Samsung 120GB 840 Series - Scythe Kama Rack 3.5 - Asus DVD-RW

Building: Bitfenix Prodigy Black - Corsair AX860i - Asus Maximus VII Impact - Corsair Hydro Series H100i - Intel® Core™ i7 4790K - Asus Matrix Platinum GTX 980 4GB - Corsair 16GB Dominator Platinum 2x 8GB DDR3 2400MHz CL10 - Samsung 1TB EVO 840 Series

The motherboard doesn't really affect performance.

The 990fxa-ud5 is better and should allow for better oc's. 

The Sabertooth is better built and has more features. 

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The motherboard doesn't really affect performance.

The 990fxa-ud5 is better and should allow for better oc's. 

The Sabertooth is better built and has more features. 

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

so what would you say i should go with is it worth the extra money

so what would you say i should go with is it worth the extra money

What cpu are you using and what's the system being used for? 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

What cpu are you using and what's the system being used for? 

Amd Fx 8230 gaming and video editing

so i guess you have yet to buy the CPU and mobo?

what is your total budget?

just tag @username here and we can see it too

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

I'd save some money and go with a 970A-UD3P unless you need the extra features of the other boards or are an overclocking junkie. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-ga970aud3p

I'd save some money and go with a 970A-UD3P unless you need the extra features of the other boards or are an overclocking junkie. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-ga970aud3p

yes i'd like to overclock a little bit for certain games or if i need something done fast but i'm not gonna do overclocking alot maybe over clock the card to a safe limit and leave it

yes i'd like to overclock a little bit for certain games or if i need something done fast but i'm not gonna do overclocking alot maybe over clock the card to a safe limit and leave it

The 970a-ud3p is fine for oc'ing. The motherboard doesn't really matter when it comes to oc'ing a graphics card.

so would this motherboard work just the same then? also a better chipset for amd Fx cpu's?

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-m5a99fxpror20

yes it will be better

and pair it with a good air cooler and you can OC the FX

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

so would this motherboard work just the same then? also a better chipset for amd Fx cpu's?

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-m5a99fxpror20

The m5a99fx pro R2 is better. It's 990fx which is the best AM3+ chipset but the UD3P is probably the best of the 970 chipset.

Not sure what you mean by 'work the same' though.

The m5a99fx pro R2 is better. It's 990fx which is the best AM3+ chipset but the UD3P is probably the best of the 970 chipset.

Not sure what you mean by 'work the same' though.

i mean it'll get the job done and the chipset will work better with a FX

yes it will be better

and pair it with a good air cooler and you can OC the FX

yes i'll be getting a corsair h100i

i mean it'll get the job done and the chipset will work better with a FX

It doesn't seem like it would make much of a difference and whether it would be more or less compatible isn't applicable in this case.

It doesn't seem like it would make much of a difference and whether it would be more or less compatible isn't applicable in this case.

i'm sorry i'm being so vague i'm very happy that your helping me so much with the advice i'm just paranoid lol

If you haven't already bought the cpu or motherboard. I highly suggest you consider an i5 instead. You will be hindering the performance of that GPU in a lot of games. Otherwise I wouldn't get anything over a r9 280 with an FX cpu. Also I used the Asus board its a good board.

If you haven't already bought the cpu or motherboard. I highly suggest you consider an i5 instead. You will be hindering the performance of that GPU in a lot of games. Otherwise I wouldn't get anything over a r9 280 with an FX cpu. Also I used the Asus board its a good board.

what would limit it with the FX cpu

what would limit it with the FX cpu

the performance of the CPU itself...the FX cpu is an older architecture and the cores on it are slow (even if they run at high frequencies)

You can't match the gaming performance of a core i5 even with an highly overclocked FX processor...and once you factor in a more expensive motherboard and a cpu cooler for the FX you will end up spending more for it than you would for an i5.

the i5 is also a lot more energy efficient, and you don't need to overclock it because it can feed high-end graphics cards out of the box...here would be my suggestions, pick whichever fits in your budget:

This kit is not overclockable, that's why it's cheaper...and it won't support dual GPU's:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($188.88 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: ASRock H97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($72.98 @ Newegg)

Total: $261.86

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-22 09:07 EST-0500

This kit is overclockable and it does support SLI or crossfire:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($219.98 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Plus ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($90.50 @ Newegg)

Total: $310.48

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-22 09:08 EST-0500

You could even go cheaper with this kit and still outperform an overclocked FX in every games, but i feel that if you have enough to buy an 8 core FX CPU and a 990FX motherboard you can afford one of the kits above...

but this is as cheap as it gets (no sli and no overcloking of course..)

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($169.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($43.89 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $213.88

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-22 09:10 EST-0500

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

the performance of the CPU itself...the FX cpu is an older architecture and the cores on it are slow (even if they run at high frequencies)

You can't match the gaming performance of a core i5 even with an highly overclocked FX processor...and once you factor in a more expensive motherboard and a cpu cooler for the FX you will end up spending more for it than you would for an i5.

the i5 is also a lot more energy efficient, and you don't need to overclock it because it can feed high-end graphics cards out of the box...here would be my suggestions, pick whichever fits in your budget:

This kit is not overclockable, that's why it's cheaper...and it won't support dual GPU's:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($188.88 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: ASRock H97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($72.98 @ Newegg)

Total: $261.86

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-22 09:07 EST-0500

This kit is overclockable and it does support SLI or crossfire:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($219.98 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Plus ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($90.50 @ Newegg)

Total: $310.48

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-22 09:08 EST-0500

You could even go cheaper with this kit and still outperform an overclocked FX in every games, but i feel that if you have enough to buy an 8 core FX CPU and a 990FX motherboard you can afford one of the kits above...

but this is as cheap as it gets (no sli and no overcloking of course..)

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($169.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($43.89 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $213.88

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-22 09:10 EST-0500

problem is i already have the cpu and gpu from another computer i had the motherboard died

just using another case and getting a new motherboard don't have the money for a new cpu just a motherboard

problem is i already have the cpu and gpu from another computer i had the motherboard died

ok, in that case get the gigabyte 970A-UD3p unless you plan using dual graphics cards in which case get the ASUS 990FX motherboard.

This is a new motherboard that came out recently it's a beefed up 970 motherboard perfect for overclocking and it does support dual GPU, i highly suggest you go with that:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157577&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR