Truth About The AMD FX 6300 CPU's

So whenever I bring up any FX CPU's people say they do not preform good and you should get something else. So I went and looked up reviews. On Amazon everyone says they are amazing. So im thinking about getting this CPU. So I just want to get everyones opinions on them. Thanks!

Well, they perform good, but the chipset is hella old and the socket is dead.

I am neutral on this topic...

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

If you don't plan on gaming, they're decent I guess.

Dead socket, outdated platform.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

they run just about every game out so far perfectly fine. I am pretty sure there are pereclty fine with two card sli/crossfire. and i like my one alot but intel does win on pure performance whereas AMD win on price/performance 

fx 6300 is old maybe go with 8320 is better

Current Build + Setup

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | GIGABYTE B550 Aorus Pro v2 | CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16gb 3600Mhz | GIGABYTE RTX 3070 AORUS MASTER OC 8 GB | NZXT H510 Elite | 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM | ADATA XPG GAMMIX S7 512GB M.2-2280 NVME | Corsair RM850 80+ Gold Modular PSU | NZXT Kraken X63 | Harman Kardon Soundstick 4 | Koorui 27E1Q

FX pricing went back up, with that being said I would rather go with the i3-4150 for the same price. Unless you're doing heavy threaded workloads of course.

So whenever I bring up any FX CPU's people say they do not preform good and you should get something else. So I went and looked up reviews. On Amazon everyone says they are amazing. So im thinking about getting this CPU. So I just want to get everyones opinions on them. Thanks!

If your purpose is gaming, go with an i3 over an FX6.  It will perform better in all games, and it gives you an upgrade path.  FX is a very old architecture, on an old platform that has no upgrade path and bottlenecks high end GPUs and will not allow you to play certain games at a satisfactory level because those games need strong cores, which is what the FX processors lack.  Cores and Ghz are not what matters, its architecture and IPC.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

"Omg it boots" 10/10 =/= good

i rate this 8/8 gr8 post

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Let me repeat everything in this thread.

It's old. It's weak. No upgrade path. Inferior architecture. Poor IPC. Just because it works doesn't mean it's good.

Intel is best tel. Go with an i3, typically the i3 offers gaming performance that surpasses the FX-8350 and sometimes the 9590 depending.

If you know you have heavily threaded workloads then the 6350 might be a worthwhile choice but very rarely are all six cores taken advantage of.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Yeah, when it comes to gaming, an OCed G3258 is going to be better in most cases. Where the fx6300 really shines is multi threaded workloads. But like other people have said, it's an old archetecture and has very, very weak single core performance, which is generally more important for gaming and day to day tasks.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

dumped over 350$ onto an FX-8320 and a motherboard with 8 GB of RAM...about 3 months later i was ready for a platform upgrade because the FX cpu even at 4.6ghz was limiting the performance of my GTX780 in most games at 1080p...can't live with a 500$ GPU being fed at only 70% in most games so i had to do something about it...multi-threaded performance was nice and multi-tasking a breeze...but gaming performance was laking for the most part...plays games better than a pentium but not as good as a core i3 for the most part. (for the record i still use the RAM but i was able to sell the FX and motherboard for 200$ to a kid...but the problem is that i bought the CPU used with a 970A-G46 motherboard from MSI which was complete garbage so i had to upgrade the motherboard upfront at the time i was running an HD7950 (r9 280) and i was getting no bottleneck but once i trown in the GTX780 and saw only a slight improvement i had to do something about it.)

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Okay, so here it is straight.... The FX-6300 is a great price to performance piece of hardware. However, if you are looking at raw performance it falls into the category of something to be wanted yet. That being said I'd recommend this processor to people on a budget that want to try out gaming on pc or enjoy specific games that do not get cpu throttled. I have a few people around me that are very happy with their 6300, but they are also pairing it with things like a 7770 or a 7850 and are doing things such as team fortress 2, Wow, League and other games that really aren't that intensive. It is a solid build for the average consumer that just wants a solid cpu that will last for a while without spending big bucks.

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

Its not less expensive than an FX6.  For an FX6 to work properly, it needs at least 4+1 VRM w/ Heatsink for stock operation, 6+2 for overclocking.  Because of that, it makes it more expensive, and underperforms.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NKYBvK
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NKYBvK/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($108.97 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H81M-H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($42.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $151.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-21 23:23 EST-0500

Vs.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mv7Bcf
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mv7Bcf/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($96.69 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($75.99 @ SuperBiiz) <-- There are $65 motherboards that will work at stock, but you run the risk of throttling, and it still ends up being more expensive than an i3.
Total: $172.68
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-21 23:24 EST-0500

You will still need an aftermarket CPU cooler to overclock the FX6.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

dumped over 350$ onto an FX-8320 and a motherboard with 8 GB of RAM...about 3 months later i was ready for a platform upgrade because the FX cpu even at 4.6ghz was limiting the performance of my GTX780 in most games at 1080p...can't live with a 500$ GPU being fed at only 70% in most games so i had to do something about it...multi-threaded performance was nice and multi-tasking a breeze...but gaming performance was laking for the most part...plays games better than a pentium but not as good as a core i3 for the most part. (for the record i still use the RAM but i was able to sell the FX and motherboard for 200$ to a kid...but the problem is that i bought the CPU used with a 970A-G46 motherboard from MSI which was complete garbage so i had to upgrade the motherboard upfront at the time i was running an HD7950 (r9 280) and i was getting no bottleneck but once i trown in the GTX780 and saw only a slight improvement i had to do something about it.)

Will it still be able to game for now?

Will it still be able to game for now?

with a mid-range GPU...absolutely...it will limit the performance of higher-end cards though...max i would recommend to pair with an FX CPU for 1080p gaming would be an R9 280...also i would go with an intel i3 because this offers an upgrade path to an i5 or i7 down the road if you would want to get an high-end card or just upgrade your machine for future games...but with the FX you are stuck the socket is dead and they won't launch anything that is a worthy upgrade to the FX-6300.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

with a mid-range GPU...absolutely...it will limit the performance of higher-end cards though...max i would recommend to pair with an FX CPU for 1080p gaming would be an R9 280...also i would go with an intel i3 because this offers an upgrade path to an i5 or i7 down the road if you would want to get an high-end card or just upgrade your machine for future games...but with the FX you are stuck the socket is dead and they won't launch anything that is a worthy upgrade to the FX-6300.

Ya i'm going to be pairing with a GigaByte R9 280. But the reason why im not saying to not get the i3 is because I already ordered the FX.  :angry:  Im stupid. I thought I put in enough research. Do you think Newegg with refund it? Probably not but i'll try. Anyways thanks for the help!

Ya i'm going to be pairing with a GigaByte R9 280. But the reason why im not saying to not get the i3 is because I already ordered the FX.  :angry:  Im stupid. I thought I put in enough research. Do you think Newegg with refund it? Probably not but i'll try. Anyways thanks for the help!

i think they might if you havnt opened the package...it would be worth a phone call IMHO...if they accept ask for recommendation on motherboard and cpu on LTT forum next time...also what motherboard do you have to put the FX in?

i think they might if you havnt opened the package...it would be worth a phone call IMHO...if they accept ask for recommendation on motherboard and cpu on LTT forum next time...also what motherboard do you have to put the FX in?

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-ga78lmtusb3 Also already ordered. Ill try to refund that too. Lol

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-ga78lmtusb3 Also already ordered. Ill try to refund that too. Lol

awww man, sorry to be the bearer of bad news here but this motherboard is a very poor choice as well...it can barely handle an FX-6300 at stock...it's only a 4 phase motherboard and the VRM's are cheap on it...if you overclock you will get the cpu being trottled down by the motherboard to prevent overheating of the power delivery assembly.

Buying The FX series is just like buying into any older platform,...ie: the Core2Quad series, the first Gen i5/i7 series, the Athlon x4/x6 Series, you could, and be happy with it yourself.. ,but it's an older generation that's not as performing in varied tasks as modern CPU's are and it will suffer in a variety of ways which becomes apparent to the end-user in a variety of ways.

It's not about which one is best, it's about what performance levels you find acceptable for your price range/budget..

There are games/applications that run well on the FX processors just like the modern equivalents but there are games/applications that TANK down to shit performance on these older processors, just like they will on Core2/Older X4 CPU's,.... but if there is a faster setup overall in a lot of the varied tasks we do at similar/equivalent pricing, then that's obviously the smarter buy, and you can do a little bit of research to see performance levels of what parts and whatnot, so making the right informed decision isn't too hard once you've read up on the differences between them in varied tasks.

It's not a good or bad buy, it's circumstantial to the use case/expectations of the user.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Buying The FX series is just like buying into the Core2Quad series, you could,but it's an older generation that's not as performing in varied tasks as modern CPU's,

It's not about which one is best, it's about what performance levels you find acceptable for your price range/budget..

There are games that run well on the FX processors just like the modern equivalents but there are games that TANK down to shit performance on these older processors, just like they will on Core2/Older X4 CPU's,.... but if there is a faster setup overall in a lot of the varied tasks we do at similar/equivalent pricing, then that's obviously the smarter buy, and you can do a little bit of research to see performance levels of what parts and whatnot, so making the right informed decision isn't too hard once you've read up on the differences between them in varied tasks.

i've made this mistake of buying thinking it would be good...when you think about it how can a 6 or 8 core CPU operating at 4ghz be bad for games...i ''upgraded'' from a Q6600@3.6ghz to an FX-8320@4.6ghz and yes it's a ''step-up'' the FX was indeed running games better...but not enough to feed higher end graphics cards...it's a good match for an R9 280 or GTX 760 in most games though...i think there was only a handful of games in which the FX was up to the task for a GTX780 (BF4, crysis 3....that's about it honestly..)