Anyone Using an Nvidia Shield Tablet?

hummerh1

Hi all, I've been thinking about purchasing one of these fancy tablets and would like to know a few things for those who own one.

1) How is the build quality of it? I've heard many complaints about the light bleed and cracked corners. Is it true?

2) How does the PC streaming work? Does my PC run the game at the same time, or can it run in the background?

3) Can I load apps and games onto a micro SD card easily?

4) Can I pair it with a PS4/ XBOX One controller?

5) Can I connect a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse/touch pad? 

Thanks in advance and happy holidays!

I'm actually extremely interested in this topic, it looks like a really interesting product. I'd like to pick one up to replace my iPad.

I'm that guy with the GPD Win.

I'm actually extremely interested in this topic, it looks like a really interesting product. I'd like to pick one up to replace my iPad.

Yeah, the K1 processor really intrigues me! I've got an Asus t100 right now, but it definitely isn't cut out for gaming (I didn't buy it for gaming in mind).

@hummerh1

>Samsung gif

>Peekaboo? Are you who I think you are...

I'm afraid I don't know what you're talking about....

Hi all, I've been thinking about purchasing one of these fancy tablets and would like to know a few things for those who own one.

1) How is the build quality of it? I've heard many complaints about the light bleed and cracked corners. Is it true?

2) How does the PC streaming work? Does my PC run the game at the same time, or can it run in the background?

Yeah i have it, use it daily both at work and home.

1) i find it to be solid, far better than the Tegra Note 7 at lest. and the Flip cover is Great! Not drop proof but yeah...be careful.

2) Yes the game is running on your pc while its Streaming to your Shield, so if anyone is near your pc they can se what your playing...or doing :P I dont know if it can run in the background/minimized. never tried.

3) Not tried yet, im using the integrated 32gb storage.

4) uh no dont think so. i haven't tried yet

5) I dont have one so i dont know.

Yeah i have it, use it daily both at work and home.

1) i find it to be solid, far better than the Tegra Note 7 at lest. and the Flip cover is Great! Not drop proof but yeah...be careful.

2) Yes the game is running on your pc while its Streaming to your Shield, so if anyone is near your pc they can se what your playing...or doing :P I dont know if it can run in the background/minimized. never tried.

3) Not tried yet, im using the integrated 32gb storage.

4) uh no dont think so. i haven't tried yet

5) I dont have one one so i dont know.

Thanks for the quick reply! One more question; If I use console mode can I plug it into a 4K TV and have 4K output for gaming and whatever else I'm doing?

Thanks for the quick reply! One more question; If I use console mode can I plug it into a 4K TV and have 4K output for gaming and whatever else I'm doing?

I don't have a 4k TV/Display nor have i tried console mode. if i wanted to play pc games on my TV id just connect my PC to the TV and use the controller that way :D

I don't have a 4k TV/Display nor have i tried console mode. if i wanted to play pc games on my TV id just connect my PC to the TV and use the controller that way :D

lol yeah that makes much more sense....but my computer is so heavy to move beside my TV  :P

lol yeah that makes much more sense....but my computer is so heavy to move beside my TV  :P

long ass display Cable my friend. Long.Ass.Cable <3

btw the Nvidia controller has a "mouse touch pad" it´s as shitty as a laptop but hey. its there.

So far I have the following:

1) Its built pretty solid to me. I actually think it looks like a huge ass HTC One with less fluff in the speaker area. The back is black and made of that rubbery type material so it does not slip off your hands and other than the camera there's nothing else on the back which I think is good.

2) The PC Streaming works, I've tried it with Half Life 2 and Battle Field 4. The PC does run the game at the same time and while I tested it since my screen is 27" I ended up looking at it, I did not try to put something else in front of that screen will try some of those things later.

3) I haven't installed my SD card yet as I don't have many apps installed on it yet so the default is fine or roomy so far.

4) I don't think so, don't see how that is possible.

5) I will try that because I hate the game controller, not sure why I bought it because I just hate them and if I could use a keyboard I'd me much happier.

Update as I try things.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

I don't have a TV to try this, yet.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

1. The build quality is quite good for a tablet that comes with this kind of hardware and features, it feels really solid and there are no cracked corners on mine.

2. your PC can not run the game in the background, you are in fact streaming the game directly from your PC to your tablet.

3. As long as the app developer allows you to move the app to the SD card this is no problem at all.

4. no experience.

5. Yes you can pair a bluetooth keyboard and/or mouse.

1) Build quality is average and calls for care. 

a. Cracked corners has been the topic of interest for many Shield users. I have been using it for two weeks without any case and no cracks yet, fingers crossed. My case will arrive in a day and then it's not leaving the case.  

b. The buttons are awkwardly placed and while the volume rocker is alright, the power button is simply gone wrong. Putting the tablet to sleep and wake it up is an ordeal with the almost flat button.

c. The screen is a fingerprint magnet and so is the back. The screen itself is far from those found on Samsung and Apple products in terms of viewing angles. But the color reproduction, sharpness, brightness, contrast, etc. are absolutely fine.

d. The speakers sound great but the grill will attract dust.

e. There is no thumb / side palm rejection built into the device, so reading a book comfortably was a nightmare once you are used to holding the tablet like a book without worrying about. I think it is a very important feature to have in hand-held tablets. Also, finding a good ePub/eBook reader was a bit painful and I am still not satisfied as I keep comparing everything to iBooks. 

2) PC streaming works alright if you have an ungodly fast internet. I found this feature not useful at all, actually. It's not like you are going to be 2 states away and want to play your PC games on Shield and will find a sufficient connection to do so. And when you are at home, you'd rather play on PC for the full experience. The "GRID" games need a controller (almost all of them) and they do work well. But today there are no more than 20 games and even those are 2010-2013. 

3) App2sd app should allow moving apps to SD card.

4) No. 

5) Yes you can connect a bluetooth keyboard for regular typing within apps but not a mouse/touch pad. Not in games at least. For games you do need the nVidia controller. 

Overall, for just the tablet, $320 is a little too much but I still haven't returned it. I know the 8 inch iPad mini (2014) is almost 2 generations behind iPad Air 2 in terms of CPU so options are limited. This is probably the best Android tablet available as of today and maybe Nexus 9. But if you are into "apps", Apple today unfortunately is still the way to go, even if it is iPad mini.