Police Can Use Fake Instagram Accounts to Try To See Your Private Photos

ahhming

A federal judge has decided that it’s okay for police officers to befriend Instagram users with fake accounts in order to gain access to photos shared through the service.

“No search warrent is required for the consensual sharing of this type of information,” 

writes United States District Judge William Martini

Source:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/12/judge-its-ok-for-cops-to-create-a-fake-instagram-account-friend-you/

meh, i see no issue with this. 

if don't want your private stuff to be seen, don't put it out in the public??? Or better yet don't take the photos at all? Or befriend randoms on the internet?!?

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I thought this was common sense ... I mean you probably shouldn't be taking a selfie while committing a crime and post it on the internet for all to see. We all know there is always a workaround for privacy settings to friends only and such.

I don't think the police have done anything wrong in this case, although if the police create an account to impersonate another real person, there's something to argue there.

Aside, this is also a case of dumb criminals. xD

I don't think this is okay. If the pictures were set to public i.e. were put for everyone to see then the police may use the pictures against you but to fake an account with no warrant seems fishy to me. The part that bothers me is the no warrant thing. If the police wants to do something without a warrant for no reason, that just means they want to abuse their power.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Without reading all the the details...

Its a good ruling.

I don't think this is okay. If the pictures were set to public i.e. were put for everyone to see then the police may use the pictures against you but to fake an account with no warrant seems fishy to me. The part that bothers me is the no warrant thing. If the police wants to do something without a warrant for no reason, that just means they want to abuse their power.

Police wouldn't do this for no reason. Individuals that happen to be police officers or even civilians could do this, and they are not a using any power. Besides this is consensual, just because someone, even the police, can create a fake account doesn't mean you have to allow them access to your photos. Its sad that people cant use the same common sense on the internet as they do or atleast need to use In real life

Edit:

There are plenty of situations where no warrant is required which are not an abuse of power but rather the protection of the public. Sounds like you may have issues not related to this thread topic.

Police get a warrant

Stupid people, start realizing the internet is public no matter what you do.

Both sides are in the stupid here.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Soon it will be okay for police to put a mask on and kindly ask to enter you home... Surely you wont say no to your "wife" when its really a police officer behind the mask.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

"fake" how? is the officer impersonating someone you know? -- that's illegal.

Is the officer making a "throwaway" account which you added? -- you're fucked.

SPAAAAAACE!!!

I can see both arguments, but I believe it's whatever. If I can friend you and view your photos without a warrant, why couldn't an officer?

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Well, it's a good thing I'm off the grid then...

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

Anyone who posts "private" pictures to instagram is kind of stupid in my opinion.  Most people stupid enough to post private pictures to instagram don't have their followers locked down.  

I'm sorry to anyone who does post private pictures on instagram its just because its not really a place to do that.  Anyone who posts photos to instagram should know that thie photos are not private anymore anways. 

In this sort of situation I think a warrant is too much, maybe officers should simply require permission from a higher up, I mean this is actual police work, rather then hacking they just pretending to be someone on the internet (not illegal) and asking you to see your photos

Anyone who puts incriminating photos of themselves on instagram deserves to be caught,  who care if it's ethical, moral or even legal.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I think this is fair enough. It would be different if they could access your account at any given time; but, it's your own fault if you first post a picture of you committing a crime and then decide to add random people as your friend. I don't see how that would be different from me being added, seeing a picture of a crime, and then reporting that person to the authorities. I guess either way it doesn't matter to me since I don't use Instagram.

So you're saying police should be required to go to a judge and ask for a warrant in order to send a friend request?

So you're saying police should be required to go to a judge and ask for a warrant in order to send a friend request?

No before they even come to that point. They should ask a judge before even creating a fake account.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

No before they even come to that point. They should ask a judge before even creating a fake account.

Why would creating a social media account require the approval of a judge? That seems absurd.

Why would creating a social media account require the approval of a judge? That seems absurd.

Because they are creating a fake account. Read the terms of service in any social media website, you are not suppose to create a fake account. Sure no one will won't sue just because average Joe created a fake account to play a prank on someone it's not worth the trouble, but the police should know better than to disobey the law.

Can they not just get a warrant and get instagram to give them the pictures? That seems like an unnecessary amount of effort for something that is essentially public anyway.

meh, i see no issue with this. 

if don't want your private stuff to be seen, don't put it out in the public??? Or better yet don't take the photos at all? Or befriend randoms on the internet?!?

This, if its public its public no matter how much you want to scream its private. Also why would you accept a friend request from some random person on instagram?

This, if its public its public no matter how much you want to scream its private. Also why would you accept a friend request from some random person on instagram?

apparently this generation thinks the more friends you have on InstaTwitFace means your more popular or something

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015