Should I Go With Fast TN or Fancy IPS?

Unsuitable

Hello, I'm debating between getting 1ms TN or a 5ms IPS ~24" monitor. If I go with an IPS it will probably be the LG 24MP55HQ-P if TN then the BenQ RL2455HM. I'm not sure which to get. Should I go TN or IPS, if you have any other suggestion for monitors than the ones I mention, feel free. I'll be using the monitor for gaming mostly.

IPS all the way. The 4ms response time difference is unnoticeable.

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

IPS is king.

Depends what you're doing.

If you're like competitive DOTA then then TN would probably be a bit better for you.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

You will regret TN, get IPS and don't look back.

Dell U2414H is a good 1080P monitor.

| CPU: Intel i7 4790K @4.4Ghz  | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming  | CPU COOLING: FRACTAL DESIGN S36 | MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximus Vii HERO | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600MHz  | CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 850W Fully Modular | HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda | SSD: 256GB Crucial MX100 | DISPLAY: Dell U2414H | HEADSET: Corsair H2100 Dolby 7.1 Surround |

60Hz TN vs 60Hz IPS ... go IPS

120-144Hz TN vs 60 Hz IPS .. that is another story

IPS unless you're playing in competitions.

CPU: i7-4770K  Cooler: NZXT X60  GPU: Asus GTX 770 2GB  MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  PSU: Be Quiet! 630 Watt  Case: NZXT H440 

Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + 1TB Seagate HDD  KeyboardCorsair K70 RGB  MouseG502 Proteus Spectrum  HeadphoneSennheiser HD598  Mic: Blue Snowball Ice

IPS is king.

Depends what you're doing.

If you're like competitive DOTA then then TN would probably be a bit better for you.

Competitive DOTA? Wouldn't competitive CS:GO be more appropriate? I've yet to hear of someone needing high refresh rates to gain an 'advantage' in a MOBA.

| CPU: Intel i7 4790K @4.4Ghz  | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming  | CPU COOLING: FRACTAL DESIGN S36 | MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximus Vii HERO | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600MHz  | CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 850W Fully Modular | HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda | SSD: 256GB Crucial MX100 | DISPLAY: Dell U2414H | HEADSET: Corsair H2100 Dolby 7.1 Surround |

Competitive DOTA? Wouldn't competitive CS:GO be more appropriate? I've yet to hear of someone needing high refresh rates to gain an 'advantage' in a MOBA.

Well, esports in general. I said DOTA because a lot of people might think I meant "competitive" match making in CSGO :P

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

IPS all the way.Better colors, better viewing angels. Even for gaming I prefer better color. 

Gotta see those awesome angels (:

OP: It really depends on what you value more - refresh rate or colour/viewing angles.

Sig under construction.

Ok, thanks everyone IPS it is! :P

Unless srs FPS type games are a big deal to you, and you have a graphics card capable of pushing 120hz, IPS it is. 

If you don't want an IPS panel, you'll already know why, so as others have said, IPS. 

Go with IPS unless you're doing tournaments and stuff like that.

Just for comparison, blinking takes +- 200ms, the difference between IPS and TN is 1/50 of that

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

First of all, response time is a meaningless figures, as every manufactures uses a different equipment with their own error rate, and only track the speed of 1 gray color to another gray color (hence: gray-to-gray, or g-t-g, next to the response time figure).

Manufacture claim of not wanting to standardize with the IEEE specification, which states black-to-white performance, is that they claim that black-to-white performance is not realistic for the targeted market the monitor is.

And they are partially correct. It's not everyday you have a black object move fast on a black background in these day in age in games. So, the gray colors picked are close together. However, IPS panels, depending from who you buy it, is more targeted for a power user, once that not only play games, but also reads a lot, and black on white setup is common, so the gray colors are more afar apart.

At work I have a ViewSonic 1ms response time TN panel, recent too. When I scroll code on it, it's awful. Like you can't read it as it smoothly scrolls on your screen. But my monitor at home, an IPS monitor dated back from 2008, (Dell U2410), granted it's a way over the top fancy monitor even for today standards (although no longer getting true with the arrival of true 8-bit IPS 4K panels, affordable too) has no problem, despite the claimed 6ms response time.

Don't believe me? Check out in depth monitor review sites like TFTCentral. A trusted monitor review site for great number of years, where they don't believe in a perfect monitor will show all its flaws to you. They take response time shots and you can clearly see that doesn't mean it is 1ms, that it is better than a 6ms or 8ms monitor all the time. They ARE really fast 1ms response time TN monitors. Don't get me wrong. But I am saying, it is meaningless figure. You HAVE to read reviews, in depth monitor reviews preferably. They are great fast TN panels out there.

IPS vs TN, which to pick

If you enjoy beautiful visuals, and are seeking more out of your games, and play them at 60fps b ecause you boost the visuals, as you want the the art works of the games you play to shine, and enjoy the the graphics artists work behind the game even more, and not gaming at competitive level, but rather entertainment and art that should be appreciated like a good movie. Then it is simple: get an IPS monitor. The more you pay, the better the colors will be. You start with affordable ones at 300$ or so dollars for decent all around ones, 6-bit panels, and you can jump to true 8-bit panels, and better true 8-bit panels (and eventually you reach pro grade monitors, but that is a different league).

If you don't care about visuals, and play games at a hardcore level, where you tend to play the games at minimum or near minimum settings to get the most FPS, than it's simple, get a TN panel.

I hope this helps.

All of the misinformation in this thread.

Not all TNs are good. Not all TNs are bad. Largely, in my experience, you get what you pay for. If you buy two TN panels that are each the same price, the same resolution, but one has double the refresh rate of the other then there's a reason they are the same price. One will have brilliant, vibrant colours, and the other will be dull, lifeless and basically what everyone in this thread is describing.

I have owned three TN panels in the last few years. One 1080p 60hz, one 1080p 120hz, and one 2160p 60hz. The two 60 hz displays have been magnificent. Truly wonderful. Not 100% accurate, which is what you're paying for with an expensive IPS, but still outstandingly good to look at. The 120 Hz... wasn't. I ended up gaming back at 60hz 1080p for a while with that because the drab colours were having a negative impact on my gaming experience, in spite of the higher framerate I was playing at.

tl;dr, there are good monitors and bad ones of all panel types, and you cannot write a monitor off just because it's TN.

As for viewing angles, they've all be fine? Horizontal viewing angles show negligible if any colour shift. Vertical viewing angles aren't great, but it's a PC monitor. You sit in front of it.

You sit in front of it.

I almost agree with you. Sadly, even the best TN panel, true 8-bit panel ones, aren't that great. They are not as sharp, the contrast isn't exactly right, especially next to a similar speced IPS panel. Sure, the IPS is more expensive, there is no doubt about it (unless we are talking about 4K resolutions one, where Dell released a much cheaper 4K monitor, where it is 60Hz, IPS panel, true 8-bit panel even, color processor, pre-manufcature calibrated sRGB color profile with report, solid build quality, 3 year warranty, with the same Dell dead, stuck and bright pixel policy which: You just count them... no zone or distance b.s, and despite being 4K, it's still the same 1080p one, 6 or more dead pixel, or a single bright or stuck pixel -> replacement.. shipping fully paid and arranged by Dell both directions, where it is cheaper than any currently released 4K TN panels. Just recently, since it's announcement, manufacture making 4K TN panels started to drop their price. That is what I call aggressive!)

In addition, and why I quotes that last part. No you don't sit perfectly straight in front of the computer. And you may want to have other people around you, which may be standing up, or you move to a more confy setup, say when you play a movie. I have my bed next to me, sometimes when I want to play a game more comfortably, I plug my XBox 360 controller, and sit on my bed like a sofa, and enjoy. My height changes. It is nice not to have to get up every minute to adjust the monitor position so that you can sit as you want while you game, or watch a movie.

I may agree with you, if you are in an office environment that is on a tight budget. But, this is home.

I almost agree with you. Sadly, even the best TN panel, true 8-bit panel ones, aren't that great. They are not as sharp, the contrast isn't exactly right, especially next to a similar speced IPS panel. Sure, the IPS is more expensive, there is no doubt about it (unless we are talking about 4K resolutions one, where Dell released a much cheaper 4K monitor, where it is 60Hz, IPS panel, true 8-bit panel even, color processor, pre-manufcature calibrated sRGB color profile with report, solid build quality, 3 year warranty, with the same Dell dead, stuck and bright pixel policy which: You just count them... no zone or distance b.s, and despite being 4K, it's still the same 1080p one, 6 or more dead pixel, or a single bright or stuck pixel -> replacement.. shipping fully paid and arranged by Dell both directions, where it is cheaper than any currently released 4K TN panels. Just recently, since it's announcement, manufacture making 4K TN panels started to drop their price. That is what I call aggressive!)

In addition, and why I quotes that last part. No you don't sit perfectly straight in front of the computer. And you may want to have other people around you, which may be standing up, or you move to a more confy setup, say when you play a movie. I have my bed next to me, sometimes when I want to play a game more comfortably, I plug my XBox 360 controller, and sit on my bed like a sofa, and enjoy. My height changes. It is nice not to have to get up every minute to adjust the monitor position so that you can sit as you want while you game, or watch a movie.

I may agree with you, if you are in an office environment that is on a tight budget. But, this is home.

I considered Dell's cheap 4K IPS monitor, but there is one glaring issue that you're not mentioning. It's 24". It's significantly smaller than the 1080p monitors I already had. It's the size that really a 1080p monitor should be before the pixels are uncomfortably big, and certainly 4K at that size is at best wasted, and at worst unreadable.

And I do all of those things you mention. I've watched it from the door, I watch films and game from across the room. It's not an issue. It's not perfect, but it's nothing like as bad as you're making it out to be. And even though the price is coming down, a 4K IPS monitor that is 27-28" is still £200-£300 more expensive.

Which is still cheaper than the ROG Swift, but whatever.

I considered Dell's cheap 4K IPS monitor, but there is one glaring issue that you're not mentioning. It's 24". It's significantly smaller than the 1080p monitors I already had. It's the size that really a 1080p monitor should be before the pixels are uncomfortably big, and certainly 4K at that size is at best wasted, and at worst unreadable.

Hmm yea. But that is not the point. Look at your smartphone, look at the size of the screen, and resolution. Assuming you have a decently high-end phone, despite being a few inches it has 1080p screen, and now there is even higher. Yet your icons and text aren't unbelievably small that you can't read. In fact, it is about the same size as a cheap dated smartphone. It's just has smoother text, icons and images are more detailed. That is because the phone does something called high-DPI. It uses more pixels to show the same thing (or can compromise by being smaller, but not too small, and increase real-estate. That is what you can do in Windows. Text will will be easier to read, things will look nicer as well. And an up side of a 24inch 4K, is that if you use 1080p resolution, say it's a demanding game for your current system, the image won't be blurry, 4K of these monitors are exactly 4x 1080p. 4 pixels of the 4K display will equal 1 pixel of the 1080p. Apple did this with it's retina display when they first release in the mean time while software adapted (So yes, many don't know how to change that, and never really enjoyed their retina display)

But, Dell has a 27inch version of the 4K monitor with the exact same specs. So you can go with that. :)

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&sku=210-ADOF

And I do all of those things you mention. I've watched it from the door, I watch films and game from across the room. It's not an issue. It's not perfect, but it's nothing like as bad as you're making it out to be. And even though the price is coming down, a 4K IPS monitor that is 27-28" is still £200-£300 more expensive.

Yes, like I said they just dropped in price... some of them.

ASUS PB287Q - 761.64$: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4FT29P9851&cm_re=4K_ASUS-_-24-236-399-_-Product

Dell P2715Q - 699.99$: http://accessories.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&sku=210-ADOF

TN for gaming. You don't give a crap about pretty blue and purple when you're in the middle of trying to murder someone in a game.

Hmm yea. But that is not the point. Look at your smartphone, look at the size of the screen, and resolution. Assuming you have a decently high-end phone, despite being a few inches it has 1080p screen, and now there is even higher. Yet your icons and text aren't unbelievably small that you can't read. In fact, it is about the same size as a cheap dated smartphone. It's just has smoother text, icons and images are more detailed. That is because the phone does something called high-DPI. It uses more pixels to show the same thing (or can compromise by being smaller, but not too small, and increase real-estate. That is what you can do in Windows. Text will will be easier to read, things will look nicer as well. And an up side of a 24inch 4K, is that if you use 1080p resolution, say it's a demanding game for your current system, the image won't be blurry, 4K of these monitors are exactly 4x 1080p. 4 pixels of the 4K display will equal 1 pixel of the 1080p. Apple did this with it's retina display when they first release in the mean time while software adapted (So yes, many don't know how to change that, and never really enjoyed their retina display)

But, Dell has a 27inch version of the 4K monitor with the exact same specs. So you can go with that. :)

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&sku=210-ADOF

Yes, like I said they just dropped in price... some of them.

ASUS PB287Q - 761.64$: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4FT29P9851&cm_re=4K_ASUS-_-24-236-399-_-Product

Dell P2715Q - 699.99$: http://accessories.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&sku=210-ADOF

I know what DPI scaling is. Microsoft, on the other hand, I'm not so sure about. They haven't updated it since the move to 1080p. At 27" and the scaling slider as far right as it will go everything is readable, including Steam's text which doesn't scale. At all. At 24" it will get very difficult to read. And your advice to spend a load of money on a 4K monitor in order to set it to 1080p... why? Why would I not just get a 1080p monitor, or a 1440p monitor, or even just a bigger 4K monitor instead of this "solution"?

The thing about 4K is that the diminishing returns with distance from the screen are severe. There's basically no point to gaming at 4K from my bed. I see no difference at 27". But sat in front of it, there's a huge difference. At 24" the diminishing returns are even less forgiving meaning that your gaming experience just doesn't get very much benefit at all.

Also I know that you've said they've dropped in price. The problem is they've dropped from being £1600 more expensive than a TN to £200 more expensive. You can insist that that's a trivial amount of money all you like, but it's not and imo the difference in what you get does not warrant the price difference for anyone who isn't using this for content creation.

Unless you literally earn money playing competitive games, IPS.

IPS IPS IPS IPS.

The colour is way better, and there's no noticeable lag.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers