GTX 980 SLI, can it run 3 4k screens?

I am making a build for 4k, two GTX 980's which will be powering 3 4k screens. (Asus pb487q)

But before I buy I want to make sue it will run right :)

My first issue is normal use (desktop) How much will having these screens affect my performance?

My second is "ingame" Looking at the benchmarks you get pretty low fps) around 50-59 for a single 4k display (at max settings which is not biggie for me but still), I don't want to spend all this money on 4k and then have to down size to 2.7 or 1080P because of lag :(

And third, surround gaming. I would really like to try surround gaming in games like arma and a few racing sims but is 1.5 billion pixels to much to push? If the 980s only get 50-59 with a single 4k and 50-59 with 1080p 3 screen what will that translate to with 4k 3 screens :( I wouldn't mind down scaling the few times I would do this, just to test what It would be like I downscaled some games today and it wasn't that bad, but still, its a lot of money for "wasn't that bad" if you know what I mean...

One reason I really want 4k is I can video edit in 4k, I do a lot of weddings and commercial videos and would love to get a 4k camera etc... (+ to future proof my self)

After watching Linus's video about surround using crossfire 290x 8gb I think that may be the only way to get 4k the way I want, but no one else seems to recommend them at all so I don't really know what to do, hence why I am talking to you fine people!

Thanks

Jayden

You better wait for the R9 390X, that'll do a much better job at it than a 980.

You will NOT be playing games @ medium or higher with 2 x 980.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

why dont u just get 2 1080p or 1440p and one 4k in the middle? you would still ahve 4k but not so much to power.

GTX 980 SLI can just barely get 60 fps on 1 4K monitor. Obviously 4K surround isn't going to work out very well.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

SNIP

I wouldn't even bother thinking about getting 3 4k monitors for surround, its just not possible at the moment, unless you want 30fps medium settings, even 4 980s cant run it, even a SINGLE 4k screen is very demanding

even 1440p surround is quite tough but this is probably your best option

personally if you are going for surround, stick to triple 1080p (or 1440p MAX) and go 1440p 120z or 4k 60hz if you want a single big screen with good FPS

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

4k surround at decent framerates is just not feasible with current hardware.. But do you really need 4k monitors in your peripheral vision? Do you even need surround to begin with? In most games its not that great anyway.

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

You can "run it".

Can you game on it? Ha.

| Intel i7 5820K @ 4.8GHz | G.Skill Ripjaws 4X4GB | X99 PRO | HoF 980 | Asus MX299Q | Sennheiser HD600 |

I mean, you won't see a "your hardware is not enough for 4k x3" message, but yeah...

Rig: I5-3570K@4.3Ghz - Cooler Thermaltake Frio Advanced - Ram Kingston 1333Mhz 8gb (2x4) - GPU GTX 970 4GD5T OC - Motherboard Z77MA-G45 - PSU CoolerMaster GX II 750w - Storage WD 500gb HDD - Sound Edifier M3700 5.1 - Headset Corsair Vengeance 1500 - Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 - Keyboard Razer Anansi - Mousepad Steelseries QcK+ - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller x2

A Titan Z was able to run Battlefield 4 at triple 4K with LOW settings at 25 fps.

So no, I don't think you can.

There's a time and place for everything! But not now. - Professor Oak

i7 2600K 4.3GHz  -  GTX 1060 3GB  - ASUS P8Z68-V - 16GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - EIZO 1080p 120Hz VA

Intel Skulltrail: 2x Core 2 Quad QX9775 - Intel D5400XS - 16GB FB DDR2-800 CL5 Quad Channel

EVGA SR-2 Classified - 2x Xeon X5675 4.2GHz - 24GB DDR3-1830 C10 Triple Channel

Intel Skulltrail #2: 2x Xeon E5472  - Intel D5400XS - 16GB FB DDR2-667 CL5 Quad Channel

You can probably run 3 4k monitor but you can't game on all 3 of them with decent FPS.

I wouldn't even bother thinking about getting 3 4k monitors for surround, its just not possible at the moment, unless you want 30fps medium settings, even 4 980s cant run it, even a SINGLE 4k screen is very demanding

even 1440p surround is quite tough but this is probably your best option

personally if you are going for surround, stick to triple 1080p (or 1440p MAX) and go 1440p 120z or 4k 60hz if you want a single big screen with good FPS

Ok, so what would happen if I had 1 4k in the middle and 2 1080 (or if possible 1440) with surround? I'm not to fussed about desktop use between the two resolutions as I currently have two monitors with different resolutions.

You better wait for the R9 390X, that'll do a much better job at it than a 980.

You will NOT be playing games @ medium or higher with 2 x 980.

It might do a much better job*

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

i woad agree wight 1 4k monitor and rest 1080p but i woad much rather opt fore triple 1440p or 1440p wight dual 1080p monitors  since 4k is taking 4x pixels than 1080p  and emagine 3 of them imposblie 1440p is 2x pixels so i thing that a single 970 can run 1440p games and ultra and hight settings i think dual 980 shoad run 3 1440p monitors or get 2 1440p and single 1080p if u want but i woad reccomend triple 1440p or single 1440p and dual 1080p wight low to medium setting you shoad have 30fps afrage fore most game(higher in some cases)but choise is yours so do whatever you want

I can tell you from personal experience with 4K that a 4K surround isn´t going to be a good experience at all at this time. I´ve got a GTX980 3way SLI and this setup is awesome for 1 4K monitor, but not for a 4K surround when you want to game on it.

With a 2way GTX980 I had in very high settings massive FPS drops in current AAA games. The 3rd card improved my min FPS and I don´t get that much FPS drops anymore and course my max FPS went up. But for me it isn´t really worth the money. So if you are really interested in a 4K surround setup to play actual games on it, I´d recommend to wait on AMD´s and nVidia´s new highend cards.

With my 3way SLI in games like Dragon Age: Inquisition my FPS never drop below 42 now, which is awesome, but the investment behind it is too big reagarding, that I´m talking here about 4K on one monitor. Micro stuttering isn´t a topic at all, it´s fine even with 3 cards.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

No 3 4k monitors is not doable at this time. Maybe in a year or two.

I can tell you from personal experience with 4K that a 4K surround isn´t going to be a good experience at all at this time. I´ve got a GTX980 3way SLI and this setup is awesome for 1 4K monitor, but not for a 4K surround when you want to game on it.

With a 2way GTX980 I had in very high settings massive FPS drops in current AAA games. The 3rd card improved my min FPS and I don´t get that much FPS drops anymore and course my max FPS went up. But for me it isn´t really worth the money. So if you are really interested in a 4K surround setup to play actual games on it, I´d recommend to wait on AMD´s and nVidia´s new highend cards.

With my 3way SLI in games like Dragon Age: Inquisition my FPS never drop below 42 now, which is awesome, but the investment behind it is too big reagarding, that I´m talking here about 4K on one monitor. Micro stuttering isn´t a topic at all, it´s fine even with 3 cards.

Ok so say I get 1 1440p screen (center) and then two 1080p screens, how does that work with surround? Will the center screen downgrade to match the rest or will it stay 1440p?

Do you think this rig could run 3 1440p screens (surround)

I would like to run at lest high settings anything less is pointless to me (for the money)

Thanks

Even at 2 4k screens, the GPUs will run out of VRAM fast on high settings in the latest games. For now you just can't get surround with 4k displays on any card with any config. 3 1440p screens will work good, but you won't be able to max out latest games with AA and ultra textures and stuff. Keep in mind that the more GPUs you add, the worse the scaling gets in games. Your suggestion of adding 1 1440p screen and 2 1080p screens will work good, but it will cause issues in games, you'll have to manually set the resolution to 1080p on the 1440p monitor for games to work properly. Best bet is to get three 1080p screens or wait till GPUs become powerful enough to handle 4k.

Ok so say I get 1 1440p screen (center) and then two 1080p screens, how does that work with surround? Will the center screen downgrade to match the rest or will it stay 1440p?

Do you think this rig could run 3 1440p screens (surround)

I would like to run at lest high settings anything less is pointless to me (for the money)

Thanks

I would never mix different resolutions when it comes to SLI, because it's impossible to run native resolution on the one hand and on the other this is a scenario that creates issues for nVidia's surround sometimes.

A 2.5K surround, 3 1440p monitors with a GTX980 3way SLI is indeed possible. As long as you don't expect 3 Asus RoG Swift monitors running each one at 100+ FPS :) .

I've tested 1440p with 1 GPU and the GTX980 is awesome for this! I could go to very high settings in every game I tested and the card pulled it out perfectly fine. Of course not with max AA settings but in all reality we are talking about 1440p and GM204 with MFAA (if supported), that means max AA isn't necessary because it looks super crisp and sharp already.

The games I tested were Dragon Age:Inquisition, TheCrew, DeadSpace3, Star Citizen, Elite Dangerous, The Forest. All was fine.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

I suggest either looking forward or backward... Forward being waiting on next gen and get maybe an R9 390x or looking at last gen and get something along the lines of Titan Z... Or your idea of 290x 8GB Crossfire

none of these will really work for triple 2160p gaming though you'd probably want  a 3 or 4 way setup for that (and even that wouldn't guarantee-ably work)

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

I was thinking about doing something like this at one point and determined that it's not possible or worth it with current generation products. 4k panels will get better as there are lots of issues with the ones currently out and graphics cards will become more efficient in running them.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k 4.3ghz MOBO: Asus Z87 Sabertooth RAM: 2x8GB RipJaws 1866mhz GPU: 2x GTX780ti SLI 1.2ghz SSD: 960GB 2x Intel 730 RAID0 CASE: Fractal Design Define S COOLING: Custom EK watercooling loop

I would never mix different resolutions when it comes to SLI, because it's impossible to run native resolution on the one hand and on the other this is a scenario that creates issues for nVidia's surround sometimes.

A 2.5K surround, 3 1440p monitors with a GTX980 3way SLI is indeed possible. As long as you don't expect 3 Asus RoG Swift monitors running each one at 100+ FPS :) .

I've tested 1440p with 1 GPU and the GTX980 is awesome for this! I could go to very high settings in every game I tested and the card pulled it out perfectly fine. Of course not with max AA settings but in all reality we are talking about 1440p and GM204 with MFAA (if supported), that means max AA isn't necessary because it looks super crisp and sharp already.

The games I tested were Dragon Age:Inquisition, TheCrew, DeadSpace3, Star Citizen, Elite Dangerous, The Forest. All was fine.

So you don't think I could do 3 1440p screens with just 2 cards?