Starting with coding/programming. Tips?

IMPERIUS

Hi!

I don't know anything about programming/coding. I don't have any experiences but I want to learn that.

First, I want to make a website. I'm deciding between "writing" it myself or using a service like squarespace. Your recommendations?

I would also like to make a programme. Starting with simple things like making a currency converter and over time I would like to make a bussiness programme that could maybe be used by companies and such.

What language should I use for both of the thing above? Html? And do you have any tips for how to make the first steps?

Thank you

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

Hi!

I don't know anything about programming/coding. I don't have any experiences but I want to learn that.
First, I want to make a website. I'm deciding between "writing" it myself or using a service like squarespace. Your recommendations?
I would also like to make a programme. Starting with simple things like making a currency converter and over time I would like to make a bussiness programme that could maybe be used by companies and such.

What language should I use for both of the thing above? Html? And do you have any tips for how to make the first steps?

Thank you

It depends, what are your end aims? Do you want to be able to write websites or would you prefer to make computer applications?

Disclaimer : I might be wrong.

It depends, what are your end aims? Do you want to be able to write websites or would you prefer to make computer applications?

Both

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

If you want to learn to make a website, you'd want to try this link. Good luck! If programming is for you, after a few weeks of studying, it'll come to you naturally. TIP: If you can do 'Hello World', there will be much more to it! Don't give up easily and understand the syntax properly. Anyway, goodluck!

.~'

c[__]

Hi there,

I am in my second year of industrial sciences and I have had 2 semesters of programming.
The things I learned in the first semester were HTML, CSS, Basic programming in Java (with a program called Greenfoot at first and then we switched to NetBeans). 
This year we continued to program in Java with NetBeans, but also learned how to create GUIs and got the basics of SQL (all of it in NetBeans).

All these things I have learned are from a theoretical course given by my university, so I can't really help you with the textbooks. However for Greenfoot, there was a textbook available (I'll put a link at the end of my post). This book teaches you the basics of programming (Classes, Methods, Casting,... All the things you will be needing later on for more complex programs).

Now I must warn you that Greenfoot does look quite 'childish'. But it is easier to get going with programming . 

If you are finished with Greenfoot you can start with the real thing. Most of the knowledge you have gathered from Greenfoot can be used in other programming applications.

I suggest you look up how to program in  HTML and CSS on the internet (trust me, it isn't all that hard).

Link to Greenfoot website: http://www.greenfoot.org/door

CPU: Intel i5 4440 @3.1 GHz, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H87M-D3H µATX, RAM: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz,
GPU: XFX Radeon R9 280X,Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 EVO and 1TB Seagate HDD,

PSU: Corsair CX750M, Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini R2

well, the first thing you need is learning the basics for programing. structures, loops, inputs and outputs.

i started just trolling my friends with cmd. there's a lot of guides online for it.

when i actually started studing, i studied C, it gave the very basics and helped me start thinking as a programmer. i suggest you follow the basic steps, "hello world", add two numbers,variables, booleans, loops, functions...

after all this you should be able to solve most things, with some restrictions.

for web programming you could try PHP or dynamic HTML with javascript

and remember: don't learn to code, code to learn

The best way to measure the quality of a piece of code is "Oh F*** "s per line

Another approach to this could be to learn JavaScript and node.js. Node.js applications can be wrapped up and be run as normal desktop applications.

Hi!

Thank you

Hello,

If you want to make a website that I recommend  learning HTML and CSS first, then move on JS. An easy programming language to start off with is Python :)

It seems impossible until it's done.

Hi!

Thank you

For websites I suggest HTML first, then CSS, JS, and PhP(In That Order).

Or if you're more interested in desktop application programming Java is a great place to start due to it's inherent compatibility with OSX, Linux, and Windows. Or if you are only interested in coding for Microsoft Windows Visual C# using the .NET Framework isn't a bad place to start either. 

Here are some websites for tutorials on various languages:

The New Boston - Free educational videos on a variety of languages

Stack Overflow - Great community, people there can answer just about any question you might have while learning to code

Lynda.com - Not free, but the courses are well constructed and if you want to try it there are LTT promotional codes for a 7 day trial. Would highly recommend that if you sign up you pay the 37$ a month so you get the exercise files

W3Schools - Great tool for referencing specific functions where web programming is concerned

A lot of basic practice, get used with the syntax, data structure , algorithm will help a lot in the future, 

for Java http://codingbat.com is pretty decent web-based code practice. another point is, if you just wanna focus on web-design ,etc, maybe you can skip the basic and learning directly from the example project etc.

Visit forums, programming subreddits, Stack Overflow etc.

Best advice is "don't learn to code, code to learn".

Just keep coding and eventually it will all make sense. Good beginner languages are C# and Java, as others have said.