Almost silent gaming pc critique

TheIcedCanadian

Add a ssd also buy cheaper fans the money you save on the fans ypu could get the ssd or a better cpu

My Personal PC 'Apex' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LiamBetts123/saved/3rTNnQ

Intel Core i9 9900k, ASUS Z390-A, RTX 2080TI, Meshify C, HX 850i, 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHZ, 500GB NVME, 500GB SSD & 2 x 4TB Baracudas 

The gigabyte cooler and cpu cooler will be the only thing making noise in that system. Get strix or msi that don't turn on until they get hot enough. as for cpu cooler get noctua nhd 15

Add a ssd also buy cheaper fans the money you save on the fans ypu could get the ssd or a better cpu

Might defeat the purpose of a silent gaming pc, though.

DayZ Forum Moderator, DayZ Developer, ARMA 3: 2017 Developer, System-Admin, Gameserver-Admin, always interested to learn something new as well as new people.

Get a properly silent CPU cooler from bequiet or noctua. The phanteks isn't bad but the others are better.

Replace the HDD by a SSD only. Don put a HDD in, it would kill the purpose of a silent PC.

Get some better fans. the redux aren't bad but bequiet silent wings 2 would to much better.

Also get the Supernova 750 G2, not the G1. The G1 had problems.

Edit: and that RAM is pretty low end stuff. I'd suggest something from crucial or G.Skill with 1600 or 1866 MHz.

Edit 2: The Gigabyte 970 is very good at cooling but isn't the most silent one. I would give that crown to the Asus Strix as it doesn't turn on until 67 °C.

Edit 3: if you use the bequiet silent base 800, you can use the included fans, they are pretty good. However other cases like the NZXT H440, Fractal Design Define R5 or Nanoxia deep silence lineup are also very solid choices for silent PCs.

who cares...

yes but between silence and performance any normal person picks performance

My Personal PC 'Apex' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LiamBetts123/saved/3rTNnQ

Intel Core i9 9900k, ASUS Z390-A, RTX 2080TI, Meshify C, HX 850i, 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHZ, 500GB NVME, 500GB SSD & 2 x 4TB Baracudas 

yes but between silence and performance any normal person picks performance

at least 250GB SSD!

Get a properly silent CPU cooler from bequiet or noctua. The phanteks isn't bad but the others are better.

Replace the HDD by a SSD only. Don put a HDD in, it would kill the purpose of a silent PC.

Get some better fans. the redux aren't bad but bequiet silent wings 2 would to much better.

Also get the Supernova 750 G2, not the G1. The G1 had problems.

Edit: and that RAM is pretty low end stuff. I'd suggest something from crucial or G.Skill with 1600 or 1866 MHz.

Edit 2: The Gigabyte 970 is very good at cooling but isn't the most silent one. I would give that crown to the Asus Strix as it doesn't turn on until 67 °C.

Edit 3: if you use the bequiet silent base 800, you can use the included fans, they are pretty good. However other cases like the NZXT H440, Fractal Design Define R5 or Nanoxia deep silence lineup are also very solid choices for silent PCs.

get an ssd, semi passive psu (750 G2), R5 and different ram.

The gigabyte cooler and cpu cooler will be the only thing making noise in that system. Get strix or msi that don't turn on until they get hot enough. as for cpu cooler get noctua nhd 15

OK, thanks for all of the help. I have decided that I won't really be putting the 970 to good use with my 1080p 60Hz monitor so I will just get a R9 290 - nearly as good and way cheaper.

Here is my revised build:

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/CKygK8

Thanks for all of you guys' help!

OK, thanks for all of the help. I have decided that I won't really be putting the 970 to good use with my 1080p 60Hz monitor so I will just get a R9 290 - nearly as good and way cheaper.

Ah, I'd say you can put a 970 to good use with a 1080P 60 Hz monitor. It will be the top titles like Crysis 3 that require that much power that you will drop below 60. Games will get more demanding in the future, I'd say a 970 is a solid investment. And it kicks out far less heat and noise than a R9 290.

Other than that your build looks solid. You may want to keep the stock bequiet fans and noit replace them right away as you might find them acceptable. They are Pure Wings which are basically silent wings but with a cheap plastic frame. The point is that they are rubber mounted by the case and they share the same awesome fan motor as the silent wings. So I'd say, see if you like them and then decide if you want to replace them. ;)

and when i said you should repalce your HDD with a SSD, i meant a large SSD. 120 GB are hardly gonna be enough for more than 3 games. If that's not in your budget, i'd in deed opt for a 120/128 GB ssd and a western digital green drive. But otherwise, get a Samsung 830 Evo 500 GB or crucial MX100 512 GB.

who cares...

Ah, I'd say you can put a 970 to good use with a 1080P 60 Hz monitor. It will be the top titles like Crysis 3 that require that much power that you will drop below 60. Games will get more demanding in the future, I'd say a 970 is a solid investment. And it kicks out far less heat and noise than a R9 290.

Other than that your build looks solid. You may want to keep the stock bequiet fans and noit replace them right away as you might find them acceptable. They are Pure Wings which are basically silent wings but with a cheap plastic frame. The point is that they are rubber mounted by the case and they share the same awesome fan motor as the silent wings. So I'd say, see if you like them and then decide if you want to replace them. ;)

and when i said you should repalce your HDD with a SSD, i meant a large SSD. 120 GB are hardly gonna be enough for more than 3 games. If that's not in your budget, i'd in deed opt for a 120/128 GB ssd and a western digital green drive. But otherwise, get a Samsung 830 Evo 500 GB or crucial MX100 512 GB.

I am going to keep the stock bequiet! fans and just ad another 4 of my own, to get the best airflow (airflow freak here :P - I built in a 900d for my friend and replaced every fan with better quality ones - cost like $200 :P).

I just don't have the money right now for a 970 - not buying this straight away so when I do buy it I will probably include it.

Thanks for all of your help!!!!

get windows on g2a.

sorry i am going to be blunt and honest here, but a mix mash of components for a silent build.

you must look at the corsair RM series PSU they are complete silent under low load, the fan turns off to passive, (see Tasty PC review on it) also the Asus Strix 970 is a better quieter GPU simular to the PSU it turns off the fans when running low loads.

for the case you can get a cheaper one and buy the silverstone foam sheet that has self adeshive backing and put on the inside of side panels etc.

look at the db rating when getting fans, and buy twin or 4 packs to save money. 

how are you going to run an O/S and data / games etc all on a 120gig SSD? look at getting a 2.5" SSHD as well for storage / games etc.and just run the SSD for the O/S

what cooler? look at the Enermax Liqtech 240 All-in-One Liquid Cooler 27MM Thick Radiator w/ Duo High Pressure Airflow Fans or a single 120mm type closed loop like a corsair, enermax or Zalman cooler.

the big ugly air coolers make it ugly unless you have no side window and lots of room.

also personnaly windows 7 over windows 8 but that's just me.

got to love Asus components

sorry i am going to be blunt and honest here, but a mix mash of components for a silent build.

you must look at the corsair RM series PSU they are complete silent under low load, the fan turns off to passive, (see Tasty PC review on it) also the Asus Strix 970 is a better quieter GPU simular to the PSU it turns off the fans when running low loads.

for the case you can get a cheaper one and buy the silverstone foam sheet that has self adeshive backing and put on the inside of side panels etc.

how are you going to run an O/S and data / games etc all on a 120gig SSD? look at getting a 2.5" SSHD as well for storage / games etc.and just run the SSD for the O/S

what cooler? look at the Enermax Liqtech 240 All-in-One Liquid Cooler 27MM Thick Radiator w/ Duo High Pressure Airflow Fans or a single 120mm type closed loop like a corsair, enermax or Zalman cooler.

the big ugly air coolers make it ugly unless you have no side window and lots of room.

I have heard the RM PSUs are unreliable and not very good quality - is this true? I have also heard they produce a LOT of heat.

As soon as I saw Linus' build in that case, I knew I wanted one. I love that case and I am sticking with it.

I don't know a dealer near me that sells the fans in packs - I am fine spending the money on the fans if it pays off (which it will - I will be using these fans for a while).

I will get 250GB SSD - OK

That CPU cooler is loud - the Dark Rock Pro 3 is much quieter - I won't be doing major overclocking but I will once the unlocked Broadwells come out - I might as well just buy it now - I also like the cooler as a whole.

The Silent Base 800 has no side window, so ugly coolers aren't a problem (even though the Dark Rock Pro 3 looks great).

Even though it might be better, I see no advantage into getting an older OS, no matter how good it is.

Here is a revision:

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/Wwfdt6

All good psu have smart fan control. The RM series is simply not as well built as the EVGA G2, nor Seasonic, XFX, BeQuiet! and Superflower models. Nor is it the quietest.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

dont buy from G2A, every 2nd costumer doesnt get his product or the key is already used.

I have heard the RM PSUs are unreliable and not very good quality - is this true? I have also heard they produce a LOT of heat.

As soon as I saw Linus' build in that case, I knew I wanted one. I love that case and I am sticking with it.

I don't know a dealer near me that sells the fans in packs - I am fine spending the money on the fans if it pays off (which it will - I will be using these fans for a while).

I will get 250GB SSD - OK

That CPU cooler is loud - the Dark Rock Pro 3 is much quieter - I won't be doing major overclocking but I will once the unlocked Broadwells come out - I might as well just buy it now - I also like the cooler as a whole.

The Silent Base 800 has no side window, so ugly coolers aren't a problem (even though the Dark Rock Pro 3 looks great).

Even though it might be better, I see no advantage into getting an older OS, no matter how good it is.

Here is a revision:

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/Wwfdt6

I just watched that video Linus made last night and yes looks a good case, for a silent system.

for the PSU, i saw it from a Tasty PC video but i have never had a Corsair PSU so can't say about the build quality / reliability. i use a Evga supernova gold, its a good psu, but not quiet as some others maybe.

now i see the cooler, yes it will be good in that case, i was a day out as just seen that video after i commented, my bad..

SSD will be good and quiet.

got to love Asus components

You will need a quiet case like the fractal design define r5

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

I just watched that video Linus made last night and yes looks a good case, for a silent system.

for the PSU, i saw it from a Tasty PC video but i have never had a Corsair PSU so can't say about the build quality / reliability. i use a Evga supernova gold, its a good psu, but not quiet as some others maybe.

now i see the cooler, yes it will be good in that case, i was a day out as just seen that video after i commented, my bad..

SSD will be good and quiet.

Just looked up the PSU tier list and it looks like the 650W and below are very good quality, but the 750W and above are crap - so I will get the RM 650W

You will need a quiet case like the fractal design define r5

??? I am getting a pretty much silent case - see Linus' latest build in it.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.