GPU VRAM begginer question

Taco420
Go to solution Solved by Guest,

VRAM has nothing to do with system RAM (the 8GB you have). VRAM is physically part of the GPU itself, and cannot be upgraded. So it you have 2GB or 4GB of VRAM, that's it. However, SoM doesn't actually need 6GB of VRAM - maybe 4, but you might as well try, you never know until you try to run it. 6GB is only in very high-end graphics cards, so it's a ridiculous requirement.

A 270x should run SoM at medium-high settings, depending on your monitor resolution. But, be ready to run it without ultra textures - though I've payed it, and even high textures look great and work on 2GB cards.

Let me know if this doesn't make sense, because I'm tired and might have been confusing :D

Hello, I´m new into gaming pc, actually I have build my first gaming a few days ago (not the best available out there but at least I got one).

One question that I have is what´s VRAM? And also, How do I know how much VRAM my GPU has or how can I increase it? My pc have a AMD r9 270x TOXIC  and 8 GB of ram (4GB x 2). I´m planning to get Middle earth: Shadow of Mordor and there is a HD Texture pack which requires 6gb of VRAM. 

Thanks!  :)

wut

Edit: alright, sorry that was harsh.  VRAM is memory that is used specifically by the video card or device.   You can't increase your VRAM, because it's pretty much locked to the card.

You have 2GB's of VRAM. There's no way to increase it without a new card. VRAM is like RAM but for your GPU only. It's a lot faster than CPU RAM, but also a lot more expensive.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Hello, I´m new into gaming pc, actually I have build my first gaming a few days ago (not the best available out there but at least I got one).

One question that I have is what´s VRAM? And also, How do I know how much VRAM my GPU has or how can I increase it? My pc have a AMD r9 270x TOXIC  and 8 GB of ram (4GB x 2). I´m planning to get Middle earth: Shadow of Mordor and there is a HD Texture pack which requires 6gb of VRAM. 

" AMD r9 270x "

you have 2GB off VRAM. Vram cant be increased. only way to get more is to buy a GPU with more ram allocated to it =) 

VRAM has nothing to do with system RAM (the 8GB you have). VRAM is physically part of the GPU itself, and cannot be upgraded. So it you have 2GB or 4GB of VRAM, that's it. However, SoM doesn't actually need 6GB of VRAM - maybe 4, but you might as well try, you never know until you try to run it. 6GB is only in very high-end graphics cards, so it's a ridiculous requirement.

A 270x should run SoM at medium-high settings, depending on your monitor resolution. But, be ready to run it without ultra textures - though I've payed it, and even high textures look great and work on 2GB cards.

Let me know if this doesn't make sense, because I'm tired and might have been confusing :D

Vram (frame buffer) is a buffer between the CPU and the GPU. It stores the image until it's ready to be displayed.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

-VRAM stores a rendered frame for a game until it's ready to be displayed

-VRAM cannot be increased, if you buy a card with 2GB you have 2GB. The only way to get more is to buy a card with more VRAM.

-VRAM does not stack in multi-GPU setups, two 2GB cards will still only give you 2GB of VRAM.

-VRAM usage increases with the resolution and amount of AA/AF you're using in a game.

-2GB of VRAM is fine for 1080p, for higher resolution high detail gaming more than 2GB is needed.

All GPU's have an upper limit of how much VRAM the card can effectively use. Meaning that a card has to be powerful enough to actually make use of the VRAM it has. This means cards like a 4GB GT 640 are stupid because the card is so hopelessly low powered that it can NEVER use that much VRAM making it is largely a wasteful sales gimmick to entice those who do not know better. This is only something you need to consider when buying low-mid range GPU's, high end GPU's generally have enough grunt to make use of all or most of the allotted VRAM.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

OP, you can read the guide in my signature for most everything you want to know about vRAM. It's not as in-detail as say.. what you can hear by asking an engineer at nVidia, but it should clear up most if not all questions up until the enthusiast level.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Thank you! It makes sense to me now  :) I´m going to purchase SoM tomorrow and try it out  :D

OP, you can read the guide in my signature for most everything you want to know about vRAM. It's not as in-detail as say.. what you can hear by asking an engineer at nVidia, but it should clear up most if not all questions up until the enthusiast level.

Thanks!

Vram (frame buffer) is a buffer between the CPU and the GPU. It stores the image until it's ready to be displayed.

-VRAM stores a rendered frame for a game until it's ready to be displayed

wrong, VRAM is not a ''frame buffer'' it doesnt ''store'' full actual frames it stores the TEXTURES needed for the GPU to be able to output the frames.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

wrong, VRAM is not a ''frame buffer'' it doesnt ''store'' full actual frames it stores the TEXTURES needed for the GPU to be able to output the frames.

essentially the same thing, i simplified for the sake of the explanation.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

It's part of the vram.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ