Trojan Horse

waggythegeek

I accidentally downloaded a Trojan horse, when trying to download a paprotka screensaver. I don't know what it's name is, because mcaffee immediately quarantined it. In file explorer, it shows up as just paprotka screensaver. When I click uninstall, a little warning that says it is a Trojan horse and has been quarantined shows up, and it doesn't uninstall. Help! I want to get rid of it!

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

Relax. Just let the antivirus delete it. Next time, use common sense though, and don't download free screensavers. It's just not ethical.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

currently the best you can do is manually delete the rest of  install files manually , the infected file is locked in by the AV , so no worries over it..

Details separate people.

I accidentally downloaded a Trojan horse, when trying to download a paprotka screensaver. I don't know what it's name is, because mcaffee immediately quarantined it. In file explorer, it shows up as just paprotka screensaver. When I click uninstall, a little warning that says it is a Trojan horse and has been quarantined shows up, and it doesn't uninstall. Help! I want to get rid of it!

RevoUninstaller comes in handy with these types of programs, malwarebytes too.

Mcafee?  Thats probably the worst product in the world, the only good thing is its detection and its detection is still beaten by allot of free products.  

I recommend AVG or Avast.  But what I'd recommend to remove it, is install Malwarebytes and run a threat scan.  Also download AVG or Avast and remove Mcafee.  AVG is way better than Mcafee I prefer it over Avast, but some prefer Avast.  So, really Avast and AVG are both great.  And free.  

:( i'm so sorry guys, it came with my computer. how do I do the manual uninstall?

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

:( i'm so sorry guys, it came with my computer. how do I do the manual uninstall?

Use macfee removal tool (here: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101331 ) install AVG or avast.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Use macfee removal tool (here: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101331 ) install AVG or avast.

no, don't use that.  Removal tools are designed either to remove remaints after uninstallation or is used incase a regular uninstall fails.  

Use control panel or Ccleaner, go to control panel>add remove programs and click on Mcafee and then uninstall.  

Make sure to check remove all remaints.  

To install AVG go to free.avg.com and download AVG.  I am in contact with people quite high up in AVG so if you have any issues please message me immediatley.  You can also install Avast by going to avast.com.  

AVG and Avast are significantly faster and lighter than Mcafee, AVG being the lighest on cpu and disk usage.  It also only uses 20-60mb of RAM compared to Mcafee's 200MB.  This means programs will open and work much much faster compared to Mcafee which is known to be heavy and slow down your computer.  

AVG also have proactive detection methods such as Identity protection which monitors the system for changes by programs based on a trust list.  It includes an emulator so if any malicious programs are detected after they have caused damage the damage will be reverted like you were never infected,  AVG has no built in anti-exploit protection, this is no issue as its commonly not needed.  You can download Malwarebytes anti-exploit free from malwarebytes.org  

I recommend updating AVG and running a full scan straight away.  AVG also protects against PUPs by default such as toolbars and other programs.  Not only that but if you are already paying for Mcafee, AVG is cheaper and will include a fully featured firewall with intrusion detection to improve detection as well as encryption and an online shield which protects against malicious downloads even if you haven't downloaded them yet.

AVG free and paid versions have P2P protection for if you wish to torrent, you will be protected.  

Sweet. Anyone wanna advocate for avast before I go and get avg?

From my experience avast chews up a lot of resources  :mellow:

AVG like other antiviruses can have problems (Avast, made computer BSOD after the latest update) but as I said, message me and I'll be on the case. 

AVG uses up more RAM than avast but only like 15 more mb.  And Avast slows down your computer like crazy because it takes up so much CPU.  AVG FTW!

why do u even need screen saver btw ? for me i use automatic screen sleeps. soo if in 10 minutes i don't use my PC, it (the monitor ) will turn off. i use it because i think ( not proven i think ) it makes my monitor last longer. soo long that today we have 4k-8k monitor available, cheap HD,full HD,LED,AMOLED,IPS monitor, iam still using a 18 inch 1366x768 TN monitor :)

why do u even need screen saver btw ? for me i use automatic screen sleeps. soo if in 10 minutes i don't use my PC, it (the monitor ) will turn off. i use it because i think ( not proven i think ) it makes my monitor last longer. soo long that today we have 4k-8k monitor available, cheap HD,full HD,LED,AMOLED,IPS monitor, iam still using a 18 inch 1366x768 TN monitor :)

I don't know, maybe he was like allot of people and just wanted to check it out.  Yes, most screensavers are malware, but allot of people think they are cool. 

I don't know, maybe he was like allot of people and just wanted to check it out.  Yes, most screensavers are malware, but allot of people think they are cool. 

Huh i didn't know that. Well at least i know now. 

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

If you want to tag me or any person with periods do: @[Member='Name]

Huh i didn't know that. Well at least i know now. 

Yup, its a good idea to know as even though antiviruses are necessary Common Sense is very much necessary too, and knowledge as well.  So, please feel free to ask questions and learn from others and answer questions others have because it builds knowledge and knowledge is extremerly important. 

But, my advice is to keep clear of screensavers or live wallpapers or anything because those are normally infected because its easy to lure people in.  Often these infections will be Trojan Horse downloaders which not only infect your computer but open exploits in your computer which is why AVG emulator is so important and will download more malware, and more harmful malware. 

Malware has gone past just sitting in Appdata, it has become actually common for higher level common malware to actually hide in the master boot record.  So its important and better to block the threats out before they even come in.

And, wow.  I'm amazed how many people have started using AVG because of me.  When I first came on this forum everyone thought AVG was complete garbage because they didn't understand the under-the-hood.  Now AVG and Avast are pretty equal and I hope everyone has a better idea on Antivirus products and actually how important they are. 

Yup, its a good idea to know as even though antiviruses are necessary Common Sense is very much necessary too, and knowledge as well.  So, please feel free to ask questions and learn from others and answer questions others have because it builds knowledge and knowledge is extremerly important. 

But, my advice is to keep clear of screensavers or live wallpapers or anything because those are normally infected because its easy to lure people in.  Often these infections will be Trojan Horse downloaders which not only infect your computer but open exploits in your computer which is why AVG emulator is so important and will download more malware, and more harmful malware. 

Malware has gone past just sitting in Appdata, it has become actually common for higher level common malware to actually hide in the master boot record.  So its important and better to block the threats out before they even come in.

And, wow.  I'm amazed how many people have started using AVG because of me.  When I first came on this forum everyone thought AVG was complete garbage because they didn't understand the under-the-hood.  Now AVG and Avast are pretty equal and I hope everyone has a better idea on Antivirus products and actually how important they are. 

:P i use AVG on my phone and Avast+Malwarebytes for my PC. I never use screensavers though i find them annoying.

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

:P i use AVG on my phone and Avast+Malwarebytes for my PC. I never use screensavers though i find them annoying.

Yeah, thats good you use an antivirus for your phone.  Antiviruses for your phone aren't really necessary unless your rooted or download APK files off the internet. 

For your PC Avast and Mbam is fine, as long as you've set exclusions for MBAM in Avast or else they will interfere.  Also I suggest turning hardend mode on for Avast as it will block all files not on the trusted list.  And its a big trusted list, Avast has no proactive detection in the free version so hardend mode fixes that a bit. 

Yeah, thats good you use an antivirus for your phone. Antiviruses for your phone aren't really necessary unless your rooted or download APK files off the internet.

For your PC Avast and Mbam is fine, as long as you've set exclusions for MBAM in Avast or else they will interfere. Also I suggest turning hardend mode on for Avast as it will block all files not on the trusted list. And its a big trusted list, Avast has no proactive detection in the free version so hardend mode fixes that a bit.

I am rooted. I will take your suggestion and turn on hardened mode

Yeah, thats good you use an antivirus for your phone.  Antiviruses for your phone aren't really necessary unless your rooted or download APK files off the internet. 

For your PC Avast and Mbam is fine, as long as you've set exclusions for MBAM in Avast or else they will interfere.  Also I suggest turning hardend mode on for Avast as it will block all files not on the trusted list.  And its a big trusted list, Avast has no proactive detection in the free version so hardend mode fixes that a bit. 

Hardened mode causes issues as well.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I am rooted. I will take your suggestion and turn on hardened mode

Yeah, Hardend mode makes you SO MUCH MORE PROTECTED!

Hardened mode causes issues as well.

What kind of issues are you talking about.  If your talking about false positives, there are false positives but unless your downloading really wacky software its fairly rare because the trusted list is so huge. 

I don't know of any instability issues or anything with it?   I know several people who insist on using Avast and they've enabled hardend mode, they've never had any false positives.  So, are you meaning like stability issues or bugs?  Or general false positives, I know enabling the high level of hardend mode causing false positives, because there are two levels, standard and something else. 

Setting it to standard hasn't caused any false positives in my experience. 

Yeah, Hardend mode makes you SO MUCH MORE PROTECTED!

What kind of issues are you talking about. If your talking about false positives, there are false positives but unless your downloading really wacky software its fairly rare because the trusted list is so huge.

I don't know of any instability issues or anything with it? I know several people who insist on using Avast and they've enabled hardend mode, they've never had any false positives. So, are you meaning like stability issues or bugs? Or general false positives, I know enabling the high level of hardend mode causing false positives, because there are two levels, standard and something else.

Setting it to standard hasn't caused any false positives in my experience.

For me, it interfered with normal programs even when bringing it down a level. Granted, that was a while ago so I imagine they improved it greatly since then, but I don't use Avast anymore.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch