Going from 7950 Crossfire to R9 290X Crossfire... Thoughts?

big_lilo

Hey guys,

I've been considering upgrading my GPU's from 7950's and planned on going to 980's 

but I just came across two MSI R9 290X gaming GPU's for $200 a piece.... so we're talking 60% of the cost of ONE 980! lol

Would you do it? or keep saving up to get 980's (which could be another 3 months before pulling the trigger because i'll need water blocks too

If I get the R9's I'll have the waterblocks ordered right away... because again... 400 bucks for both vs 650ish for one 980.... (also still cheaper than two 970's)

your thoughts? what would you do??

:D

Check out my Rigs: Obi-Wan Shinobi & HTPC: The Dark Prodigy

do it then..

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

200 a piece? Is it the TF or the Lightning?

Either way it's an amazing build especially with watercooling on standby

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

i would do it... like NOW, i think even with 2 waterblocks its wayy cheaper then dual 980s aircooled

Are you new to the forums???? read the Code of Conduct HERE WANT SOME AWESOME LTT THEMED WALLPAPERS??? check out XTanksSlayerX's wallpaper thread HERE 

"May our framerates be high, and our temperatures low" - PC MasterRace

200 a piece? Is it the TF or the Lightning?

Either way it's an amazing build especially with watercooling on standby

the lighting is 100 more than the twin frozr so i guess its the frozr

Are you new to the forums???? read the Code of Conduct HERE WANT SOME AWESOME LTT THEMED WALLPAPERS??? check out XTanksSlayerX's wallpaper thread HERE 

"May our framerates be high, and our temperatures low" - PC MasterRace

i would do it... like NOW, i think even with 2 waterblocks its wayy cheaper then dual 980s aircooled

IT IS!!

120 for 1 block... so total cost when its all said and done... 640.... lol

Dam dude where are you getting that kind of deal from? Because on the part picker site they are $329.

Dam dude where are you getting that kind of deal from? Because on the part picker site they are $329.

local ad listing... (Still under warranty and buddy will show them in action... so guaranteed to be working)

local ad listing... (Still under warranty and buddy will show them in action... so guaranteed to be working)

Do you know what has or hasnt been done with them? Such as have they been overclocked or what they were used for. Just because they are working now doesnt mean that he didnt do something with them that could potentially degrade their performance or lifespan. But if you trust the dude and he didnt do anything that could harm them id say its hell of a deal.

nahh I don't... I'm not worried to be honest... If I get 2 years out of them I'd be happy LOL 

Thats true. One thing you might want to check into is make sure the warranty is transferable. Because say he did do something wonky with them and 6 months to a year down the road one or both goes out you wanna make sure your covered. Id say call MSI yourself and give them the serial number and make sure.

Thats true. One thing you might want to check into is make sure the warranty is transferable. Because say he did do something wonky with them and 6 months to a year down the road one or both goes out you wanna make sure your covered. Id say call MSI yourself and give them the serial number and make sure.

Good call :) I think they go by S/N for warranty so transferable won't be an issue :) 

Good call :) I think they go by S/N for warranty so transferable won't be an issue :)

I always think the worst of people so in that kind of situation I would think there would be some lies so I know myself I would want to call to make sure the amount of time you were told the warranty had was correct and that you were covered. Simply because your looking at dropping over $600 between these cards and waterblocks so thats a pretty hefty investment.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys,

Can I use the factory MSI back plates with the waterblocks? 

to answer my own question for the next person... Yes you can! just need longer screws because the screws that come with the water block isn't long enough to go thru the back plate, PCB than to the waterblock

to answer my own question for the next person... Yes you can! just need longer screws because the screws that come with the water block isn't long enough to go thru the back plate, PCB than to the waterblock

we need pics !

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016