Looking for a new wireless router... Any suggestions?

AGGELOS_970

Hey there!

I'm looking for a new wireless router to replace my sh**ty one that came free with my ISP.

I have a big house and this one doesn't reach many areas of the house. Also, because we have a couple of smartphones a laptop and a tablet I'm looking for something that can manage all this without additional "lag".

I have found the Asus RT-N56U. Seems pretty good to me. Also the reviews are looking fine. The only thing is that I can't find if it supports QoS so I can prioritise my gaming. It may have but... I don't know. I'm kind of a noob when it comes to networking, routers and stuff like that.

Also now I have ADSL. Will it work with VDSL in the future ? Because my area is upgrading.

What do you think ? Do you guys have another suggestion ? Of course at the same price range as this one.

Thanks!!! 

I think this router will do the trick for you, yes it supports QoS according to the specs http://www.asus.com/Networking/RTN65U/specifications/  to get better range & speeds you may want to consider a wireless AC router.  If you are wanting to stick with the Asus brand try this one:  http://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTAC56U/  Hope this helps!!  

I think this router will do the trick for you, yes it supports QoS according to the specs http://www.asus.com/Networking/RTN65U/specifications/  to get better range & speeds you may want to consider a wireless AC router.  If you are wanting to stick with the Asus brand try this one:  http://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTAC56U/  Hope this helps!!  

Hey man thanks for the reply!

Actually the link that you gave me is for the RT-N65U. I linked you to the RT-N56U.  :P

Anyways I think the RT-N56U has QoS. I searched it yesterday.

Now for the one that you suggested me,

Does AC worth the extra money ? Will the range increase be that good? And right now we only have one device that supports AC.

I don't know... and of course it is more expensive. I mean the RT-N56U is already expensive for me.

Well personally I would go for ac just so you dont have to get a new one quiet so soon, and if you use 5ghz it should have better reliability from older n 5ghz

The range isn't necessarily going to better, it depends alot on the environment. 2.4GHz waves are easier to make and are better at penetrating material, but the 2.4GHz band is congested with tons of other interference from things like portable phones and microwaves.

Personally, at this point, I would say go for the AC router, because you will get probably get higher speeds in the AC devices, and the router will also last longer (until you need to upgrade due to it being obsolete).

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

You don't necessarily have to replace the router you can simply buy an access point to add to network. if you want to add multiple access points you could use the Ubiquiti unify access points.

If you add an access point in the same location as the current router and access point you just don't use the current said and only use the new one.

Desktop: 16gb Ram, i7-2600k, GTX 560 OC.    Laptop: i7, 8gb DDR3, 840m GPU

Server 1 (Files and AD): i3 3220, 4gb DDR3, 1TB Western Digital Blue, Overkill motherboard I got for free (better than main computer) changed to xeon, don't remember exactly what but xeon version of the processor  and 8gb ECC Ram   Server 2 (games): 8gb Ram, i5, Geforce 710m

• 2 weeks later...

The range isn't necessarily going to better, it depends alot on the environment. 2.4GHz waves are easier to make and are better at penetrating material, but the 2.4GHz band is congested with tons of other interference from things like portable phones and microwaves.

Personally, at this point, I would say go for the AC router, because you will get probably get higher speeds in the AC devices, and the router will also last longer (until you need to upgrade due to it being obsolete).

Can you suggest a AC router with decent range ? Something that's... affordable. :P  

Well personally I would go for ac just so you dont have to get a new one quiet so soon, and if you use 5ghz it should have better reliability from older n 5ghz

Yeah I know... But there kind of expensive right now and I have only one device that can benefit from it.

You don't necessarily have to replace the router you can simply buy an access point to add to network. if you want to add multiple access points you could use the Ubiquiti unify access points.

If you add an access point in the same location as the current router and access point you just don't use the current said and only use the new one.

This will help with the "management" thing too ? Or just the range ?