Should I stay away from Triple Buffering?

hknutsen

I've been tinkering with the settings in Far Cry 4 since its release, and today I decided to try enabling triple buffering. It made the game run smooth like butter, but I know some people hate this option as it introduces input lag. I read an article on Anand Tech where they praised this setting. What are you guys' opinion on this? Is triple buffering something you should enable?

MOBO: MSI Z97A Gaming 7 || CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz, 1.25V || RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600MHz || GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 3.5GB @ +200MHz Core/+500MHz Memory, +50mV

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB || HDD: 2x HGST 1TB || PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2

stay away from vsync.

can't stand vsync.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

It depends on the game and the person. I personally can't stand the input lag that vSync and other buffering systems create. I'd rather have a bit of tearing. 

In some games it's not too bad though. Basically, if you can notice it just in general gameplay (as in, not looking for it), then I would rather disable it. 

I can't stand tearing. I find it makes the image difficult to follow and completely kills immersion. I haven't ever noticed the input lag caused by vsync, but I have noticed the stutter it can introduce.

You're never going to get a valid answer to this question, it's just a question of personal preference. You're best off playing with vsync on and off, with and without triple buffering and making up your own mind about what feels best to you.

It depends on the game and the person. I personally can't stand the input lag that vSync and other buffering systems create. I'd rather have a bit of tearing. 

In some games it's not too bad though. Basically, if you can notice it just in general gameplay (as in, not looking for it), then I would rather disable it. 

The tearing in Far Cry 4 is horrible with vsync disabled. I know it's a poorly optimized game, but it's just so horrible.

Is adaptive vsync a good option? Does it remove some of the input lag?

MOBO: MSI Z97A Gaming 7 || CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz, 1.25V || RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600MHz || GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 3.5GB @ +200MHz Core/+500MHz Memory, +50mV

I can't stand tearing. I find it makes the image difficult to follow and completely kills immersion. I haven't ever noticed the input lag caused by vsync, but I have noticed the stutter it can introduce.

You're never going to get a valid answer to this question, it's just a question of personal preference. You're best off playing with vsync on and off, with and without triple buffering and making up your own mind about what feels best to you.

I agree. Personally I don't understand how people can play with vsync off, and say they can live with "a little bit of tearing". It's horrible.

Do you use triple buffering? Or adaptive vsync?

The tearing in Far Cry 4 is horrible with vsync disabled. I know it's a poorly optimized game, but it's just so horrible.

Is adaptive vsync a good option? Does it remove some of the input lag?

Don't think think so. I think Adaptive vSync just enables and disabled itself when you drop below or go above your refresh rate (I think, that's off the top of my head) gSync is the best of both worlds though. Hopefully there becomes a single standard for it.

Don't think think so. I think Adaptive vSync just enables and disabled itself when you drop below or go above your refresh rate (I think, that's off the top of my head) gSync is the best of both worlds though. Hopefully there becomes a single standard for it.

I know what adaptive vsync does, I just wondered if you recommended it ;)

I agree. Personally I don't understand how people can play with vsync off, and say they can live with "a little bit of tearing". It's horrible.

Do you use triple buffering? Or adaptive vsync?

Tbh my normal go-to solution is spend way too much on graphics cards and try to brute-force the issue into non-existence xD

I have played with adaptive vsync before. It eliminates the stutter issue by turning vsync off if your framerate drops below 60, but that re-introduces tearing so I don't like it. Adaptive vsync at half refresh rate was an interesting solution: capping your fps at 30 for the sake of a consistent framerate. I don't hate the concept of this but I would sooner drop graphics details down slightly to aim for a consistent 60 with vsync on instead.

I almost always have Triple buffering enabled. Gsync is the holy grail here, but not at the price of gsync monitors, and not if it means I have to spend more on a sub-4K display.

I know what adaptive vsync does, I just wondered if you recommended it ;)

Hmm, I'm not sure. Like with normal vSync, it's a matter of personal preference and it changes from game to game.

If you're frequently dropping below your refresh rate, I would advise it if you can't stand the tearing. It prevents the drop from 60 to 30 you can get with vSync.

Tbh my normal go-to solution is spend way too much on graphics cards and try to brute-force the issue into non-existence xD

I have played with adaptive vsync before. It eliminates the stutter issue by turning vsync off if your framerate drops below 60, but that re-introduces tearing so I don't like it. Adaptive vsync at half refresh rate was an interesting solution: capping your fps at 30 for the sake of a consistent framerate. I don't hate the concept of this but I would sooner drop graphics details down slightly to aim for a consistent 60 with vsync on instead.

I almost always have Triple buffering enabled. Gsync is the holy grail here, but not at the price of gsync monitors, and not if it means I have to spend more on a sub-4K display.

Tomorrow I'll sit down and try out vsync, vsync + triple buffering and adaptive vsync, and find out which one feels right. I prefer smooth gameplay over responsiveness, so I feel like vsync + triple buffering will be the solution for me.

Tomorrow I'll sit down and try out vsync, vsync + triple buffering and adaptive vsync, and find out which one feels right. I prefer smooth gameplay over responsiveness, so I feel like vsync + triple buffering will be the solution for me.

Yeah that's the only way. Like I said it's completely personal preference.

Hmm, I'm not sure. Like with normal vSync, it's a matter of personal preference and it changes from game to game.

If you're frequently dropping below your refresh rate, I would advise it if you can't stand the tearing. It prevents the drop from 60 to 30 you can get with vSync.

Thank you for your replies :)

Yeah that's the only way. Like I said it's completely personal preference.

Another quick question! :) How noticable is the input lag when using triple buffering? Thanks.

Another quick question! :) How noticable is the input lag when using triple buffering? Thanks.

Personally I don't notice it, but maybe I'm just not sensitive to it.

Maybe I just don't know what I'm looking for, but I have never noticed input lag in any game in the 20 years or so that I have been gaming. I play nearly every game with Vsync on, as I find tearing absolutely intolerable.

If you like your performance with Vsync + triple buffering, go for it.

Vsync on BF3 introduced massive input lag.

Call of Duty 4/WAW/BO massive input lag.

CS:GO not massively bad but notice a slight delay.

i7 5930k . 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 DDR4 . Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming G1-WIFI . Zotac GeForce GTX 980 AMP! 4GB SLi . Crucial M550 1TB SSD . LG BD . Fractal Design Define R2 Black Pearl . SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750w . BenQ GW2765HT 2560x1440 . CM Storm QF TK MX Blue . SteelSeries Rival 
i5 2500k/ EVGA Z68SLi/ FX 8320/ Phenom II B55 x4/ MSI 790FX-GD70/ G.skill Ripjaws X 1600 8GB kit/ Geil Black Dragon 1600 4GB kit/ Sapphire Ref R9 290/ XFX DD GHOST 7770 

I can't play with triple buffering the micro stuttering is too annoying.

Without Vsync I'm getting motion sickness, because of looking at two frames at the same time.

Vsync double buffered is mostly limiting me to 1/2 monitor refresh rate but its still the best option for me.

I usually turn Vsync off when my fps drops too low. I keep it on in games I know will run at 60.

Tearing > Input lag, FPS drops

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.