i ordered a new ISP, but they gave me a cat 2 cable....

1832vin

First off, you ordered fibre, so you should be connecting your modem to a fiber optics "cable". not ethernet, or a phoneline

He ordered a FTTC service. BT will install a fibre optic cable to his home or workplace for £1500, and offer up to 300Mbps. Should be 1Gbps from 2016.

All the ISPs that are based on the BT Openreach infrustructure (Pretty much every ISP expect Virgin Media cable) offer the same services.

i like in england, and recently, i switched from virgin to talk talk (fiber)

the service people hasn't come yet, but they sent me a router, and a instructions manual, with some cable...

they said they was going to provide up to 36Mb/s is internet with Fibre, but in the instruction manual, they said to connect my router to a phone line splitter

and from the phone line splitter, it branches into a cat 2 cable (yes, with only 2 contact points)

and i searched up, and cat 2 only does up to 4 Mb/s...

say... was i fooled, talk talk is a rather big company, so i doubt it was a fraud, but i'm getting VERY worried.....

this is the one that i ordered

attachicon.gifladksjfds.PNG

and this is what i got:

attachicon.gifWP_20141220_18_50_32_Pro.jpg

and this is the instruction:

attachicon.gifWP_20141220_18_51_55_Pro.jpg

Look at the speeds BT are able to deliver over the same infrustructure. What exactly are you worried about? That your phone line hasnt been replaced in a while? Get BT or TalkTalk to replace it.

BT Infinity connections come with a white modem as well as a router. Why not wait until its actually installed before worrying about the speed?

Cat 2 actually has 4 twisted pairs of cable, not 1.

i can't understand how internet sucks so much everywhere. I used to complain about my 20/20 internet being slow back in the day.

when i see posts like these my brain just does not compute.

Posts like what? OP and other people assuming something has gone wrong when it hasnt?

Posts like what? OP and other people assuming something has gone wrong when it hasnt?

40/2 internet suprises me. it's like uploading is somehow different.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

40/2 internet suprises me. it's like uploading is somehow different.

Well the average consumer downloads far more than uploads

Well the average consumer downloads far more than uploads

exactly why isp's in my country don't bother limiting upload speeds, there is no point. somehow in orther countries it's different.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

exactly why isp's in my country don't bother limiting upload speeds, there is no point. somehow in orther countries it's different.

they do it here just because they can make more money

they do it here just because they can make more money

in my country they can't make any money if they limit it because someone will offer full upload and everyone will switch.  :lol:

Spoiler

That just looks like a generic router they send out, looks like the BT one we have here at work. Can be used for ADSL and CAT5e connections. TalkTalk is just a rebrand of BT. And BT's fibre is FTTC (Fibre To The Cabinet) then they coax it into your house. Slap a coax to CAT5E modem to your wall then CAT5 out of their into their router. 

The Phoenix | i7 3930K 4.6Ghz | Z79A-GD45 Plus | 2 x GTX 780 SLI | 16GB Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz | Two 240GB Samsung 840s | 1.5TB Western Digital Caviar Green HDD | Silverstone TJ07 | Full Custom Water Cooling Loop

Streaming PC/LAN Rig | i7 920 3Ghz | Biostar X58 T-Power | GTX 460 1024Mb | 8GB XMS3 1333Mhz | 120GB Corsair SSD | Avermedia Live gamer HD C985 

in my country they can't make any money if they limit it because someone will offer full upload and everyone will switch.  :lol:

That's the dumbest thing. For an ISP upload is always more problematic than download.

Ppl who use torrents are downloading the "legal content" only once but the upload doesnt stop.

Plus they need the upload speed for their clients who do video chat, who pay more money but demand garanteed upload rate.

That's the dumbest thing. For an ISP upload is always more problematic than download.

Ppl who use torrents are downloading the "legal content" only once but the upload doesnt stop.

Plus they need the upload speed for their clients who do video chat, who pay more money but demand garanteed upload rate.

It just so happens that competition between ISP's pushed it so far that we get better service. I am not mad at all.

Spoiler

First off, you ordered fibre, so you should be connecting your modem to a fiber optics "cable". not ethernet, or a phoneline

As a few others have pointed out, "Fibre" is just a marketing term to ISP's. He's likely using FTTN/FTTC (Fibre to the Node/Cabinet), with traditional copper pair DSL lines going from the node to his house. Technically it's not pure fibre, but they can still get away with it.

Fiber doesn't really mean anything. I'm fairly sure VM is fiber to the street, but then coax to your house.

Not sure how you are going to get those speeds through ADSL. I did hear that recently they have improved ADSL for areas that cant get cable or fiber though.

Coax is for Cable Internet (DOCSIS 2.0 for traditional Cable, and DOCSIS 3.0/3.1 for FTTN Cable). He's probably on Copper Pairs, since that seems to be much more common in the UK.

FYI ADSL2+ can handle speeds up to around 24 Mbps, but generally is limited to 16-20 Mbps by most ISP's. VDSL (Which is FTTN) can handle speeds in excess of 50-100 Mbps. Though with VDSL, as with any DSL technology, the distance from your house to the Node (As the cable is buried, not as the bird flies) makes a very large difference in speeds.

You can get 100mbps over phone line using DSL, but the line has to be short. The ISP probably has a 1gbps fiber link to the building or local cabinet and from there they are using the old phone lines.

If they market the service with "fiber" in it's name, it doesn't mean that you are gonna get fiber in your home. I know it's a bit of a cheat but you have to read the contract.

Edit: Using vdsl2 you get 200mbps.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)