i ordered a new ISP, but they gave me a cat 2 cable....

1832vin

i like in england, and recently, i switched from virgin to talk talk (fiber)

the service people hasn't come yet, but they sent me a router, and a instructions manual, with some cable...

they said they was going to provide up to 36Mb/s is internet with Fibre, but in the instruction manual, they said to connect my router to a phone line splitter

and from the phone line splitter, it branches into a cat 2 cable (yes, with only 2 contact points)

and i searched up, and cat 2 only does up to 4 Mb/s...

say... was i fooled, talk talk is a rather big company, so i doubt it was a fraud, but i'm getting VERY worried.....

this is the one that i ordered

post-45313-0-28003900-1419101276.png

and this is what i got:

post-45313-0-29970000-1419102108_thumb.j

and this is the instruction:

post-45313-0-91525800-1419102310_thumb.j

First off, you ordered fibre, so you should be connecting your modem to a fiber optics "cable". not ethernet, or a phoneline

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

thats just a router and you  dont need to use it. you can use your own, non poop, one

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

i can't understand how internet sucks so much everywhere. I used to complain about my 20/20 internet being slow back in the day.

when i see posts like these my brain just does not compute.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

i can't understand how internet sucks so much everywhere. I used to complain about my 20/20 internet being slow back in the day.

when i see posts like these my brain just does not compute.

you should take observable universe out of your sig, since that depends on your position ;) 

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

you should take observable universe out of your sig, since that depends on your position ;)

I just don't think anyone from non observable universe could read it. so i will keep it, it would be too short.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I can't help as i don't have fibre yet. However why did you switch from virgin (the best isp in uk) to talktalk???

CPU: i7 8700k Motherboard: MSI Z370 Krait Gaming RAM: 4x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro (2 white, 2 black) GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor Case: Corsair Crystal 570x White HDD: 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm Sata 3 SSD: 240GB Corsair Force 3 + 500GB Samsung 970 Evo Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series™ H150i PSU: Corsair RM750i OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Mouse: Logitech G600 Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown Monitor: Samsung S24C570L 1080p 23.6" + AOC AGON 240Hz 1080p Sound: HyperX Cloud Headset Black/Red + Logitech Z213 Speakers 2.1

and this is what i got:

attachicon.gifWP_20141220_18_50_32_Pro.jpg

Left to Righ I see:

phone line (your cat 2) then 4* LAN (cable for internal networking) and a WAN (Wan means Wide Area Network ...) which is also known as internet..

So put an proper cable in the WAN nic of that router and you should be able to get 1gbit/s

Good luck :P

CPU: i7 3930K 3.2Ghz on Noctua NH-U14S| RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance @1600Mhz + 32GB Kingston Beast @ 1866Mhz | MBO: Asus P9X79 | GPU: ASUS GTX970 STRIX | SSD: Samsung 840 PRO 256GB + Crucial M500 480GB  |  HDD: 2*3TB Seagate | PSU: Cooler Master 850m2 850W | Case: Cooler Master Cosmos Pure Black

Dell P2715Q, 4K @t 60Hz :)

I just don't think anyone from non observable universe could read it. so i will keep it, it would be too short.

yeah, but the point is, even my observable universe is slightly different to yours :P

and by the time anyone outside of the "earths" observable universe can even be able to read this, we will all be long extinct anyway xD

yeah, but the point is, even my observable universe is slightly different to yours :P

and by the time anyone outside of the "earths" observable universe can even be able to read this, we will all be long extinct anyway xD

no it isn't. observable universe is what we documented so far, you can't see it any different than i do.  :lol:

Spoiler

no it isn't. observable universe is what we documented so far, you can't see it any different than i do.  :lol:

nope, observable universe is quite literally a sphere of 14 gigaparsecs in diameter radius around your eyes :) its what you can "observe" (even tho you cant with your eyes, you need powerful optics)

nope, observable universe is quite literally a sphere of 14 gigaparsecs in diameter radius around your eyes :) its what you can "observe" (even tho you cant with your eyes, you need powerful optics)

whatever I will keep it.

Spoiler

That sir be the DSL you didn't get what you paid for. Maybe the gave you the wrong thing?

No OP you're being a bit of an idiot actually. The phone splitter is required. 

Plug your devices into the Ethernet ports. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Fiber doesn't really mean anything. I'm fairly sure VM is fiber to the street, but then coax to your house.

Not sure how you are going to get those speeds through ADSL. I did hear that recently they have improved ADSL for areas that cant get cable or fiber though.

You guys are crazy. You know you guys are self-destructive. There's a funny farm somewhere and it's got your names written all over it. But I'm gettin' outta here.

@ is saying that cat 2 cable can carry 100mbits on a cat 2 cable PLEASE SAVE HIM

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

thats just a router and you  dont need to use it. you can use your own, non poop, one

let's hope so,

@ is saying that cat 2 cable can carry 100mbits on a cat 2 cable PLEASE SAVE HIM

if cat 2 cables can be that fast, then everything that comcast did would make sense, but they don't

I can't help as i don't have fibre yet. However why did you switch from virgin (the best isp in uk) to talktalk???

well... the reason being:

THEY ARE CHARGING ME £60 PER MONTH FOR 1 MB/S INTERNET

yes, £60 per month, for 1 MB/s speed (8Mb/s)

No OP you're being a bit of an idiot actually. The phone splitter is required. 

Plug your devices into the Ethernet ports. 

erm.....

plug my devices to the ethernet port....

that would not give me a good speed, cuz the providing cable is a cat 2

erm.....

plug my devices to the ethernet port....

that would not give me a good speed, cuz the providing cable is a cat 2

You need to wait for the engineers then. They will have a modem that plugs into the red port. Then plug everything into the yellow ports. The manual usually has all that info. 

Why talk talk though? You had Virgin which I've heard are great. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

You need to wait for the engineers then. They will have a modem that plugs into the red port. Then plug everything into the yellow ports. The manual usually has all that info. 

Why talk talk though? You had Virgin which I've heard are great. 

as i previously said:

and talk talk is charging me £5 per month

however, if £60 is a fair price for 1 MB/s, then i see why they are using cat 2 cables for £5

as i previously said:

however, if £60 is a fair price for 1 MB/s, then i see why they are using cat 2 cables for £5

The cat2 cable is for just the phone. The engineers will be round to properly set you up, as previously said. 

The cat2 cable is for just the phone. The engineers will be round to properly set you up, as previously said. 

Isn't it supposed that he installs it ? or I'm missing something.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

as i previously said:

There must have been a fault somewhere you should have contacted them and get them out to have a look and check the line.

I pay £70 a month and this is what I get.

• Broadband Unlimited 160MB Down, 12MB Up (I pay for 150MB but get 160MB)

3927096860.png

• 200 TV Channels, including about 20 HD and hundreds of on demand, 500GB Tivo box (downstairs) and a V+ HD Box (my room)

• Phone Line Unlimited free landline calls, and free calls to Virgin Mobile.

Talk Talk and BT are extremely bad, Sky is better but Virgin is the UK's fastest provider.

I have been with them for 3 years and have hardly had any downtime, the only long (more than 30 minutes) was caused by a construction site across the road. when I joined them after a few months I started getting slow internet and it kept disconnecting, I contacted them and they replaced the Virgin Super Hub (Router) and since then I have been getting more than what I pay for.

I suggest you consider switching back to virgin and talk to them about the issue you had.

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

let's hope so,

if cat 2 cables can be that fast, then everything that comcast did would make sense, but they don't

You can get 100mbps over phone line using DSL, but the line has to be short. The ISP probably has a 1gbps fiber link to the building or local cabinet and from there they are using the old phone lines.

If they market the service with "fiber" in it's name, it doesn't mean that you are gonna get fiber in your home. I know it's a bit of a cheat but you have to read the contract.

Edit: Using vdsl2 you get 200mbps.