G-Sync or 144Hz? || BenQ XL2720G or XL2720Z

TheSorcerer

Hi everybody,

So here is my big dilemma.

I know this is a topic that had been posted in this forum time and again. I have scourged the world wide web trying to justify myself for being patient enough and wait until the BenQ XL2720G comes out. But so far, I am still unsatisfied with all the info given and on top of that, I'm a bit confused about the performance g-sync monitors with 144Hz can give.

Now, my rig is armed with a Gigabyte 970GTX Gaming 1. These BenQ monitors I'm going after has a max resolution of 1080p. So according to some benchmarks, some big games can easily hit 100 fps at max settings. I play games like COD:AW, FC4, etc. etc.

BenQ XL2720G has all the features contained in XL2720G with the addition of G-Sync.

I heard from somewhere (I lost that link) that screen tearing without any v-sync is no so noticeable if the monitor is running at 144Hz because the tearing is wiped out much faster and few people could notice it. This would just made G-Sync somewhat like an overkill/almost redundant, isn't it?

But first, can anybody confirm this? And also I would like your thoughts on whether I should wait for the BenQ XL2720G to come out (BenQ is like 3 months overdue with its expected launch date and probably another 3), or would I just buy the XL2720Z right now and save myself from the pain of waiting because with my setup right now, I can probably go without g-sync.

Also, I kind of hate waiting.  :D

The Sorcerer

Ah, good point mate. I'm someone who often not think ahead sometimes. Now you mentioned about that, I should go for a g-sync monitor.

But I love BenQ. I would not go for any other brand. And I need an upgrade to a 27-inch monitor. 24-inch monitors (if you're going to suggest the XL2420G) doesn't feel big enough for me anymore. So this means I have to wait.  :(

I'm not sure if my cat would still be alive when the 27-inch one finally comes out. 

The Sorcerer

It's expected price is $1000,right?

Buy a Asus ROG Swift 1440p@144hz($799) or a 4K G-sync.

Unless you really like 1080p there's no point in going with XL2720G at that price,

on the other hand XL2720Z($449) is a good choice.

But if you have the money, go the rog swift.

It's expected price is $1000,right?

Buy a Asus ROG Swift 1440p@144hz($799) or a 4K G-sync.

Unless you really like 1080p there's no point in going with XL2720G at that price,

on the other hand XL2720Z($449) is a good choice.

But if you have the money, go the rog swift.

Yup, I guess 1080p is a little bit of a downer for a state-of-the-art, ultra-expensive (I'm not so sure about the expected price... $1000?), g-sync monitor (three hyphenated words in one sentence!). Even Philips offered only 1080p with their 272G5DYEB model. I'm just don't understand why they would persistently offer 1080p when at that resolution with 120/144Hz, it is easier to drive nowadays.

You're right about the price difference. It may cost about $1000, so I might as well go for the Asus ROG Swift.

The Sorcerer

I believe the forum here has so much to say regarding my predicament. Most of the posts are against buying the gsync model and encouraged the poster to buy the Z model instead. 

The Sorcerer