Xeon or i5?

ivryk

Hey LTT community, thanks alot for taking your time to read my post, much appreciated.

This is my current build:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/z8z7nQ

I am planning on upgrading my current cpu, I need your suggestions, between the Intel Xeon e3 1230v3 or the i5 4690 ( not planning on overclocking )

Will any 1150 mobo support it ( Xeon )?

Will those 200mhz less many any difference in gaming?

Since new DX12 will be better optimized for multi threaded workloads will the Xeon perform even better?

Will my mobo recognize a new cpu? or do i need to do something special to it?

My current i3 temp idles at 42/ loads at 65, will either the xeon or i5 run hotter?

- I mainly play mmoRPGS/FPS

- My budget is around 270$

- I've no plans of editing/rendering/encoding etc etc

When considering the affects of Dx 12 or Mantle on multithreaded gaming, expect it to take a few years for the effects to trickle into your average gaming experience. It'll probably affect your next CPU purchase more than this one.

Well is your i3 not doing well enough already? As typically MMOs only use 2 cores and most FPS games aren't too CPU bound (maybe bf4 64p).

But I'd grab the Xeon as you can't overclock anyway even if you changed your mind.

Well is your i3 not doing well enough already? As typically MMOs only use 2 cores and most FPS games aren't too CPU bound (maybe bf4 64p).

But I'd grab the Xeon as you can't overclock anyway even if you changed your mind.

Its not doing as i wish to, specially in MMOs, normally the gpu sits 40% load and the cpu maxed out giving me 14~20 fps in really crowded events

The xeon is better for the price, however have you considered the 1231 v3? It is clocked 100mhz higher and should cost the same if not a bit less. There might be a small difference in gaming performance due to clock speed, but it doesn't really matter since the 760 isn't fast enough to be bottlenecked by the cpu.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

The xeon should work with any 1150 board. 200mhz isn't really noticeable for gaming.

We don't know how much of a difference DX12 will make yet.

There's no need to configure anything with a new cpu.

The xeon and i5 will run hotter than the i3 due to having more cores.

Save your money and go with something cheaper like the 4440: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646i54440

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The xeon should work with any 1150 board. 200mhz isn't really noticeable for gaming.

We don't know how much of a difference DX12 will make yet.

There's no need to configure anything with a new cpu.

The xeon and i5 will run hotter than the i3 due to having more cores.

Save your money and go with something cheaper like the 4440: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646i54440

Wont my i3 perform better on 2 cores apps than the 4440 since higher clock speeds ( 3.1ghz )?

The xeon is better for the price, however have you considered the 1231 v3? It is clocked 100mhz higher and should cost the same if not a bit less. There might be a small difference in gaming performance due to clock speed, but it doesn't really matter since the 760 isn't fast enough to be bottlenecked by the cpu.

Thanks alot for the suggestions, didnt see the 1231v3

Wont the xeon perform better than the 4440?

Yes but it's not $70 better. 

Wont my i3 perform better on 2 cores apps than the 4440 since higher clock speeds ( 3.1ghz )?

Yes, the i3 should perform better in those cases but the i5 would be better due to the 4 cores.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

the xeon is basicaly an i7,so it doesn`t perform better in games. if you do some video editing and stuff yeah get the xeon . it works on your motherboard

now about the i5. save some bucks and just get the i5 4460, its the same thing . but it wont do anything in mmos over your i3. its the games fault . and you will hardly notice differences in all games,especially that you only have a 760

keep in mind that some motherboards wont turbo on max multiplier for all cores.

My Xeon E3-1230 V3 with my Gigabyte Z87X-OC only turbo to 3.5Ghz on all cores in stock BIOS, I flashed a custom BIOS for my motherboard to allow 3.7Ghz on all cores.

I would also get the Xeon over the i5 due to hyper threading as there isn't a noticeable increase in performance when I go from 3.5Ghz to 3.7Ghz, but with hyperthreading if a program supports more than 4 cores the difference would be quite noticeable (like video encoding, opening multiple vm's, multi tasking, etc...).

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.