GTX 970 + AMD CPU or R9 290 + Intel?

OnCue

So essentially on my budget I have my graphics card choice narrowed down to one of two cards:

1) Gigabyte GTX 970 - $340

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125685&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

2) Gigabyte R9 290 - $240

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125505&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Would I be better off getting the GTX 970 and an Athlon x4 860k or Pentium G3258? Or getting the R9 290 with an i5 4440?

Also, is the 970 worth the extra $100 for playing new games (Dying Light, GTA V, Battlefield Hardline, etc.) at 1080p? Eventually I want to upgrade to 1440p.

I'm that guy with the GPD Win.

R9 290 and i5 4440 would be the best by far.

That's what I was leaning towards at this point. Thanks for the reply!

yup i second the intel build with the 290.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

yup i second the intel build with the 290.

Awesome, thanks!

4000th post *cheeky wee spam post*  :rolleyes:

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

4000th post *cheeky wee spam post*  :rolleyes:

Congrats!!

From the looks of it, you'll also need a new mobo. Don't forget that. Also, you might want to wait a bit for Broadwell release.

But the 2 options listed... are both bad imo. Get an even cheaper GPU and grab yourself a much stronger CPU with the extra cash. It will be worth it.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

From the looks of it, you'll also need a new mobo. Don't forget that. Also, you might want to wait a bit for Broadwell release.

But the 2 options listed... are both bad imo. Get an even cheaper GPU and grab yourself a much stronger CPU with the extra cash. It will be worth it.

From what I've read Broadwell isn't going to be a huge step up from Haswell, and the main goal is to have a PC to hold me over until Skylake later this year. Strictly for gaming I don't think I need an unlocked i5 or i7.

From what I've read Broadwell isn't going to be a huge step up from Haswell, and the main goal is to have a PC to hold me over until Skylake later this year. Strictly for gaming I don't think I need an unlocked i5 or i7.

Yup, barely any performance gain over Haswell [broadwell], no point in waiting.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

The R9 290 and i5 4440 is by far the best choice. Though that system should last you a lot longer than between now and Skylake's release, unless Skylake is something Earth-shattering. You might consider upgrading to the 290x, as Newegg has it for $280 after rebate:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125499

I mention this since you're talking about 1440p gaming, and the 290x is better than the lower binned 970s at 1440p.

The R9 290 and i5 4440 is by far the best choice. Though that system should last you a lot longer than between now and Skylake's release, unless Skylake is something Earth-shattering. You might consider upgrading to the 290x, as Newegg has it for $280 after rebate:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125499

I mention this since you're talking about 1440p gaming, and the 290x is better than the lower binned 970s at 1440p.

Is the 290x that much better than the 290? In most videos I've seen they are pretty much the same.

Is the 290x that much better than the 290? In most videos I've seen they are pretty much the same.

Most videos run tests at 1080p. And at that resolution, yeah, they are the same.

Until you get to 1440p or 4k. You'll see the difference there.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Most videos run tests at 1080p. And at that resolution, yeah, they are the same.

Until you get to 1440p or 4k. You'll see the difference there.

Alright cool, I might grab the 290x and the 4440 right now and upgrade to 1440p when Skylake comes out.