Random Game Freezing and System Crashing

colec18

Over the last day or two when I have been gaming I have been having many crashes where my GPU use goes to 0% then my whole system freezes up and I have to force shut down because nothing else works. Also my temps have been fine around 80-85 C.

I am running the latest drivers and updates for all of my system:

i5 4670k

z87m MSI

r9 290 MSI Gaming

2x8gb AData 1866

Samsung Evo 250

2x 1TB WD Blue

I was wondering what might be causing this since after less than an hour of gaming my system will freeze again?

My Build

- i5 4670k @ 4.4GHz - MSI z87m Mobo - 16Gb 1866MHz RAM - MSI R9 290 - Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb - 2 x 1Tb WD Blue - CX600m - H55 AIO cooler - Fractal Node 804 - Lg 25um64-s Ultrawide screen monitor -  http://pcpartpicker.com/user/colec18/saved/9FKXsY

My only guess is your GPU is circling the drain.

Then again, I'm wrong 50% of the time.

Its less than 6 months old and if so is there anyway I could test that?

My Build

- i5 4670k @ 4.4GHz - MSI z87m Mobo - 16Gb 1866MHz RAM - MSI R9 290 - Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb - 2 x 1Tb WD Blue - CX600m - H55 AIO cooler - Fractal Node 804 - Lg 25um64-s Ultrawide screen monitor -  http://pcpartpicker.com/user/colec18/saved/9FKXsY

Its less than 6 months old and if so is there anyway I could test that?

Possibly your VRAM being exceeded?

I'm just shooting ideas out there. Sounds like what my old GPU did and I just junked it because it was like 5 years old.

Knowledge is power, guard it well.

Steam | Twitch | YT | Build

Possibly your VRAM being exceeded?

I'm just shooting ideas out there. Sounds like what my old GPU did and I just junked it because it was like 5 years old.

Don't think so I have a 4Gb card at 1080p.

My Build

What games do you play when this occurs?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

what do you have for a power supply? 

what sites have you been on that might install addware/cookies/trackers?

did you go into the device manager and unistall your card and do a reboot and reinstall of drivers?

have you been to windows updates lately? what do you have running that you shouldn't while gaming? 

did you do a firmware update on the SSD?

If it crashes only under load when gaming, a faulty or overloaded PSU, as well bad memory, can cause that.

Might want to run a few passes of memtest86 and or AIDA64 memory stress test.  List your PSU model and wattage as well.