Audiophile headset + External mic or Gaming headset + sound card

So my Logitech G930 is falling apart now.. Left ear speakers are now dangling on its wire, microphone is basically snapped and glued so that it stays on. Foam is all torn apart from both sides. Anyways.. I'm due for a new combo now.

Right now I have a logitech 5.1 surround speakers. I've been looking around and found no answer. I'm debating whether I should go with an audiophile headset with external mic maybe Razer seiren or even the external mic, gaming headset and sound card. I've been looking at the Razer tiamat 7.1 and read some good and bad reviews. The issue is that whether or not the sound card will be a good combo. I'll be using this for gaming, recording or live streaming, movies, etc. 

I'm open to any combos and suggestions. Here are my following concepts/combos

Audiophile headset+external mic (maybe razer seiren)

Or

Razer Tiamat 7.1 + Razer Seiren + Sound Card

And if the 2nd combo if preferable, which sound card would fit best? 

(keep in mind that I do have my 5.1 speakers hooked onto the MOBO only.)

How about we slowly back away from the razer audio products.

I like that thought.. seems intriguing but what other options should I consider.?

I like that thought.. seems intriguing but what other options should I consider.?

How much and how attached to your money are you?

You didn't say what kind of budget you were looking at, but honestly if this is going to be your first step up to an audiophile grade headphone it is hard to beat the combo of Sennheiser HD558 + ModMic 4.0. You can pick this combo up most places from between $150-175 (USD), and if you watch for sales even cheaper.

While I personally haven't used Razer's audio gear, I have used many of their other peripherals. For me personally every thing I have seen in person and used has been of low build quality and highly over priced compared to its competitors in the market. I doubt their audio gear would be any different.

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Razer is basically.... normal stuff with fancy packaging. Does it work, look cool, work well? Sure, sometimes. But its really not that great. 

I'd pair a set of non-gaming headphones, with a Modmic. If you want a desk mic, a Blue mic + boom, or AT2020 + boom works pretty well. 

Here is a random selection of headphones:

Grado SR80i

Sennheiser HD280

Sennheiser HD518

Sennheiser HD558

Audio Technica ATH-M50(x)

Beyerdynamic DT770-PRO

AKG K240

AKG Q701 (these are sexy....)

Will I recommend any of them? Nope. Try to find a local store where you can try them, buy them, return them when you hate them. The one thing I will say, Open-Back phones will have the best soundstage, and will be great for gaming. But everyone will hear what you hear if you have the volume up much. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Audiophile headset

Audiophile & headset.

Pick one....

Audiophile for $500, Alex

You didn't say what kind of budget you were looking at, but honestly if this is going to be your first step up to an audiophile grade headphone it is hard to beat the combo of Sennheiser HD558 + ModMic 4.0. You can pick this combo up most places from between $150-175 (USD), and if you watch for sales even cheaper.

While I personally haven't used Razer's audio gear, I have used many of their other peripherals. For me personally every thing I have seen in person and used has been of low build quality and highly over priced compared to its competitors in the market. I doubt their audio gear would be any different.

Open to any options  ;) I have a wide range of budget and no limit.. but I'll try not to spend over $400, if Its needed for maximum quality (lul wut) then I'd go for it. But hey, shout out what you think.

Open to any options  ;) I have a wide range of budget and no limit.. but I'll try not to spend over $400, if Its needed for maximum quality (lul wut) then I'd go for it. But hey, shout out what you think.

DT990's and a AT2020. Save the rest for an amp if you find that they dont get loud enough.

Welcome to the forums! :D

The good ol' beyerdynamic dt990 or other in the dt7/8/9 group could be nice for you, paired with a mod mic. 

Although with your budget you could probably get some fancier gear ;) 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

You've touched the taboo....

Never EVER say 'no limit', or someone (most likely me) will recommend Sennheiser HE90 Orpheus. $30.000 for a 2nd hand. 30 grand is still in the 'no limit' range, right?

Never EVER say 'no limit', or someone (most likely me) will recommend Sennheiser HE90 Orpheus. $30.000 for a 2nd hand. 30 grand is still in the 'no limit' range, right?

30k, because quality. So he should get those.

And take pictures for us peasants. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

I would recommend a Sennheiser HD555 second hand. Apply the HD555 -> HD595 mod to it. And buy a mod mic.

If you don't want an open pair of headphones, go for the Sennheiser PC350 gen1

Gaming headsets suck and sound cards suck. Get decent headphones, an external DAC and a external mic.

Enthoo Primo - ASUS Maximus Formula VII - 4790k 4.8ghz 1.28v - EK Supremacy Evo Clean - 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical - 1000w EVGA Supernova Gold - 2x Alphacool Monsta Rads in push/pull - 2x Galaxy 780 HoF with EK waterblock

Build Log http://imgur.com/a/UV6Wh Just want to warn everyone, my build log is pretty mediocre.

are gaming headsets not necessary? will it not feel more immersive in terms of surround sound? Still debating

yes please take a video also.

are gaming headsets not necessary? will it not feel more immersive in terms of surround sound? Still debating

having owned "surround sound" headsets i can say its bullshite sold to make it seem better than it is. 

An audiophile grade pair of headphones like the AKGs or Beyerdynamic 990s will give you WAY better "surround" feeling than a 5.1 or 7.1 headset. 

I'd reccomend the modmic over a proper Desktop mic. The people you speak to will thank you that they cant hear the keyboard and every time you fart.

having owned "surround sound" headsets i can say its bullshite sold to make it seem better than it is. 

An audiophile grade pair of headphones like the AKGs or Beyerdynamic 990s will give you WAY better "surround" feeling than a 5.1 or 7.1 headset. 

I'd reccomend the modmic over a proper Desktop mic. The people you speak to will thank you that they cant hear the keyboard and every time you fart.

I mean is it really as bad? I have the g930's.. maybe I can't tell the difference (lul 0_0) but other than that I heard that the tiamat 7.1 were actual drivers and not virtualized. I mean does 7.1 make it really that more immersive  on these? And many people said it works great with sound cards. hmm..  On the other hand akg q 701 looks great. But should I get a sound card for this and speakers? And will the sound card substitute the surround sound of the gaming headset/better?

I mean is it really as bad? I have the g930's.. maybe I can't tell the difference (lul 0_0) but other than that I heard that the tiamat 7.1 were actual drivers and not virtualized. I mean does 7.1 make it really that more immersive  on these?

No.

No

Hmm, okay I guess I'm going to go with the akg's and is it only a 2.1 stereo?