Video Playback turns rest of screen black and white

andrussell

Hello all,

Something has started happening on my computer and it's driving me insane, I figured if anyone knew it would be this community.

If I start watching a video from any source (vlc, youtube html5, flash player, etc), and I go inactive for 5 seconds the video stays in color and the rest of the screen fades to black and white.  It returns to color after the video has stopped or activity has returned, although sometimes I just have to kill the video.

It seems like this just started happening a few weeks ago and I can't figure out the cause or how to disable it.  I have a new 1440p monitor, so I rarely watch video in fullscreen anymore.

I'm assuming it's a video driver update that causes this, but I can't find anything on it anywhere.  My googlefu  has been pretty weak on this one.

My question is, how do I turn this "feature" off?

So here's my current setup, any help would be appreciated:

Windows 8.1 pro 64 bit

Nvidia 760 gtx with 344.75 driver

If anyone needs more info, I'll be glad to share, I figure this is what's pertinent to the conversation.

Since I didn't get one response, I started wondering what else it could be.  It urns out it was my monitor!

I got a new Acer K272HUL and it detects video and changes the rest of the screen to grayscale.  I'm not sure why, but man that's annoying.  I was able to turn it off on the OSD.