What happened to my phone screen? Samsung S3

pspfreak

Sorry about the horrible quality potato picture, I was using my laptops built in webcam.

okay, so last night my phone was working perfectly, then I got home, it was still fine. Set my phone down, picked it up some time later, and this happened. What would cause this? The screen is definitely not cracked.

post-7698-0-12404500-1419002741.jpg

Have you restarted your phone already?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

very apple answer, wow

Are you new to the forums???? read the Code of Conduct HERE WANT SOME AWESOME LTT THEMED WALLPAPERS??? check out XTanksSlayerX's wallpaper thread HERE 

"May our framerates be high, and our temperatures low" - PC MasterRace

Took battery out, left it sit overnight, all the usual. It does this on the bootloader so it is definatley NOT a kernel issue.

Hmmm. this is interesting, I just dropped it onto my desk from a height of about 5" and the screen came back to life, but the colors are washed out...

restart maybe 

that's why i hate samsung galaxy S Series they quality is too bad with high price 

Current Build + Setup

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | GIGABYTE B550 Aorus Pro v2 | CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16gb 3600Mhz | GIGABYTE RTX 3070 AORUS MASTER OC 8 GB | NZXT H510 Elite | 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM | ADATA XPG GAMMIX S7 512GB M.2-2280 NVME | Corsair RM850 80+ Gold Modular PSU | NZXT Kraken X63 | Harman Kardon Soundstick 4 | Koorui 27E1Q

does it root or not ?

Current Build + Setup

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | GIGABYTE B550 Aorus Pro v2 | CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16gb 3600Mhz | GIGABYTE RTX 3070 AORUS MASTER OC 8 GB | NZXT H510 Elite | 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM | ADATA XPG GAMMIX S7 512GB M.2-2280 NVME | Corsair RM850 80+ Gold Modular PSU | NZXT Kraken X63 | Harman Kardon Soundstick 4 | Koorui 27E1Q

restart maybe 

that's why i hate samsung galaxy S Series they quality is too bad with high price 

To be fair, this is a replacement screen from ebay.

And yes, I am rooted, but it does this in the bootloader so its not software.

Hmmm. this is interesting, I just dropped it onto my desk from a height of about 5" and the screen came back to life, but the colors are washed out...

Now its dieing again. 

Something's probably up with the display connector from the sounds of it.

I have a friend with some cheapo carrier branded LG phone and every time he drops it face down on its plastic, resistive TN screen, the touchscreen functionality stops working. And then he drops it again and it works just fine.

Sig under construction.

okay root may be cause problem 

if your data doesn't important try back to stock

if on stock still same 

the screen die 

Current Build + Setup

Something's probably up with the display connector from the sounds of it.

I have a friend with some cheapo carrier branded LG phone and every time he drops it face down on its plastic, resistive TN screen, the touchscreen functionality stops working. And then he drops it again and it works just fine.

Concussive maintenance at its finest. 

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post

wait you say boot loader ? i think is root problem 

like i said before try return it too stock if still like this bring it to samsung service center or just replace it by yourself

Current Build + Setup

After watching the picture, i think you just lost.
Slenderman killed you. 

wait you say boot loader ? i think is root problem

like i said before try return it too stock if still like this bring it to samsung service center or just replace it by yourself

Out of warranty, and bootloader can not be messed with by the os

Thats your problem. This issue has been very prevalent with replacement screens, especially in samsung.

Your screen is destroyed. Just because you can't see the damage, doesn't mean it isn't there.

Did you replace the screen yourself? A tiny sand corn under the screen or a million other things could damage the whole over time, and then resulting in damaged screen at what seems like a random time.

Had a friend who put down his phone on a table, only to find it with a crack in the screen 5 minutes later without it being touched.

There isn't really much you can do. New phone.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

Thats your problem. This issue has been very prevalent with replacement screens, especially in samsung.

Your screen is destroyed. Just because you can't see the damage, doesn't mean it isn't there.

Did you replace the screen yourself? A tiny sand corn under the screen or a million other things could damage the whole over time, and then resulting in damaged screen at what seems like a random time.

Had a friend who put down his phone on a table, only to find it with a crack in the screen 5 minutes later without it being touched.

There isn't really much you can do. New phone.

Well now it seems fine except the colors are washed out. Could it be one of the display chips built into the screen?

The company I bought it from isn't responding to me and i'm just trying to avoid an expense that I don't have money for right now.

Also would this screen be geniune/at least high quality? https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Parts/Samsung-Galaxy-S-III-S3-Display-Assembly-LCD-Digitizer-Front-Panel--ATT-T-Mobile/IF225-001-1

Ah yes, the eBay displays. I would pull your phone apart and ensure that the connector hasn't undone itself. The cheap replacement displays are notorious for doing this(I had 2 that did this). If it still does this after removing the connector and reinstalling it, then it could be your display just failing. I had bad experiences with my eBay displays and ended up buying a used phone in good condition with a bad ESN.

Edit: Also, how do you like your Zerolemon battery?

Looks like your screen might be damaged, it does certainly not look like a software problem. 

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

Sorry about the horrible quality potato picture, I was using my laptops built in webcam.

okay, so last night my phone was working perfectly, then I got home, it was still fine. Set my phone down, picked it up some time later, and this happened. What would cause this? The screen is definitely not cracked.

did a have a pair of headphones plugged in ontop the screen for a long time?

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

Ah yes, the eBay displays. I would pull your phone apart and ensure that the connector hasn't undone itself. The cheap replacement displays are notorious for doing this(I had 2 that did this). If it still does this after removing the connector and reinstalling it, then it could be your display just failing. I had bad experiences with my eBay displays and ended up buying a used phone in good condition with a bad ESN.

Edit: Also, how do you like your Zerolemon battery?

Now my screen randomly began to work like almost normal again, it has been since thursday night, and i am now just on 21% battery. This is after pandora for 5 hours, 45 minutes of 720p youtube, 1hr of phone calls, and 3h, 39m, 20s of screen on time. So far I'm loving it.

Also, it wasn't the connector, it just seemed to start working again.

did a have a pair of headphones plugged in ontop the screen for a long time?

TBH the only pair of headphones I have are broken, so no.

Now my screen randomly began to work like almost normal again, it has been since thursday night, and i am now just on 21% battery. This is after pandora for 5 hours, 45 minutes of 720p youtube, 1hr of phone calls, and 3h, 39m, 20s of screen on time. So far I'm loving it.

Also, it wasn't the connector, it just seemed to start working again.

Well its good that its working now :), just concerning that it randomly stopped working and started working again lol. I would do a back up of your data now while it works, just to be on the safe side. I found a website with S3 parts, so if you need it just PM me(or just reply here), but hopefully you won't need to go to that website :). That battery life seems really good compared to the stock battery, I'm tempted to get one despite its physical size.